Gransnet forums

Health

GP Data Collection: How to Opt Out

(35 Posts)
annodomini Sat 05-Jun-21 00:05:21

The measure to collect data about NHS patients has been kept very quiet. You might have heard from your GP that they have been ordered to had over your records to NHS Digital so that they can be made available to third parties for commercial gain. I have strong objections to this and have opted out. Here is some information for you:

"From 1 July 2021, and every day thereafter, the Government has Directed NHS Digital to take from your and your family’s GP records:

^data about diagnoses, symptoms, observations, test results, medications, allergies, immunisations, referrals, recalls and appointments, including information about physical, mental and sexual health” (more details)
“data on sex, ethnicity and sexual orientation”
“data about staff who have treated patients”
You can opt out if you wish.^

Here is how to opt out if you don't want your health details to be sold for profit to pharmaceutical companies or research organisations.

medconfidential.org/

B9exchange Mon 07-Jun-21 12:00:30

Don't worry Chapeau it doesn't include Scotland. Your data is already shared, but you might be able to trust your Government more not to sell access to it?

youtu.be/QqZXH0CJYcM might help explain things for my English colleagues ?

lemsip Tue 08-Jun-21 09:07:01

digital.nhs.uk/services/national-data-opt-out

chelseababy Tue 08-Jun-21 13:47:51

It's been delayed to September now

B9exchange Tue 08-Jun-21 14:09:16

Yes, they caved in, after a huge effort from MedConfidential, huge thanks to Phil Booth, and pressure from the BMA and RCGP. Exactly as happened with Care.data when they tried in 2014 without proper consultation.

Notinthemanual Tue 08-Jun-21 15:12:26

Thank you Annodomini for posting this.

ayse Wed 09-Jun-21 08:26:38

For anyone who is concerned that if they opt out their data will not be available for NHS treatment.

This is not true. The opt out form makes it quite clear that your data can be shared with other NHS professionals if you need treatment. It just opts out from the gathering of data for this new database.

Discussion on LBC yesterday. One contributor said that large pharmaceutical companies and other commercial giants have already been in talks with the government. The data is worth huge amounts but I can’t remember the figure quoted. I’m just reporting what I heard not stating this as a fact.

Blinko Wed 09-Jun-21 08:51:04

As a lay person, I've looked at just a couple of the links in this thread I'm fairly horrified at the way in which our so-called confidential information seems to be routinely shared with any organization that asks, without any individual being asked for their permission.

It looks as though NHS Digital will simply lead us further down the rabbit hole of total disclosure to all and sundry.

ayse Wed 09-Jun-21 08:58:33

Blinko

As a lay person, I've looked at just a couple of the links in this thread I'm fairly horrified at the way in which our so-called confidential information seems to be routinely shared with any organization that asks, without any individual being asked for their permission.

It looks as though NHS Digital will simply lead us further down the rabbit hole of total disclosure to all and sundry.

I agree wholeheartedly. It’s the secrecy surrounding the whole issue. The public should have been informed so they can give informed consent to the use of our data by private companies.

I’ll bet the money made out of selling this data won’t be going back into the NHS.

TopsyIrene06 Wed 09-Jun-21 09:09:56

Chapeau I have written to my MSP to ascertain our position regarding the NHS GP data grab in Scotland. They are going to let me know when they are sure of the details that might affect us. I have looked very thoroughly and as far as I can see we are not included but as I don't trust the Westminster government I would like to hear from Scottish MPs exactly what the position is. Good though that it has been delayed until September so we are given more information. Fingers crossed.