Gransnet forums

Health

How did you meet the love of your life.

(35 Posts)
Witzend Sat 26-Jun-21 16:19:17

After lunch, in the ‘coffee lounge’ of a certain student union building. His friend (a very cocky type) came to try to chat me and a friend up, dh was with him. The others left - dh and I stayed there nattering all afternoon - missed all lectures! - and later went for a cheap Indian.
Although I remember the occasion very well, I had no idea of the day or date, until dh turned up one day a couple of years ago with a big bouquet of flowers.
Since it wasn’t my birthday or Valentine’s Day - and he doesn’t do flowers otherwise - I was nonplussed, until he said it was exactly 50 years ago to the day since we met.
I had no idea he’d made a note of it! He’s quite a nice old bugger really. ?

Santana Sat 26-Jun-21 16:15:30

Blind date.

PinkCakes Sat 26-Jun-21 16:14:24

I met my husband at work - I was 18, a clerk at British Telecom (it was G.P.O. in 1978), he worked in the mailroom upstairs. He came into my office, winked at me. I winked back and he dropped a pile of letters - that was my cue to chat him up! He had shoulder-length, wavy hair...........

Sandycat Sat 26-Jun-21 16:10:45

Our eyes met over a stack of magazines Spring 67. We both worked in the head office of a National newsagent. Took him 2 months to ask me out. Have been together ever since.

sodapop Sat 26-Jun-21 15:52:11

We met via an ad in the local paper before the days of Internet dating

kittylester Sat 26-Jun-21 15:49:07

Dh had wangled an invite to the christmas dance of the company that both his brother and I worked for.

I was just thinking I could catch the last bus home when he asked me to dance - it was the Gay Gordon's.

That was the night of 19th December 1969, we went out again just after Christmas and then we went to a New Year party at his principal's house. He proposed on 26th January 1970 and we got married on 10 October of that year.

Hellogirl1 Sat 26-Jun-21 13:50:17

We met at a dance at the local Mecca. I wasn`t supposed to go that night, I took the place of another girl who was ill. Around 10pm there was a barn dance and he asked me to dance. Afterwards he asked me to the bar for a drink, and we chatted until time forb me to leave, but we arranged to meet the following night for the pictures. It was a Charlton Heston film, something about pigeons and Rome, can`t remember. About halfway into the film he whispered that he was going for a walk. I thought what a strange time to go for a walk, later found it was his way of saying he was going to the toilet!
We got married 7 and a half months later, and lasted just over 53 years until he died. He`d had 1 girlfriend before me, he was my 3rd boyfriend, but the first "proper" one.

3nanny6 Sat 26-Jun-21 13:31:21

Our eyes locked across people in a queue waiting to buy drinks, I looked away and when served with my drink went and sat down. He cleverly watched what drink I bought and came over with another drink for me.

We went on to have three children together, when you get that strange feeling inside sometimes it is giving you the correct signals.

Kim19 Sat 26-Jun-21 13:22:42

Across a very crowded room. Certainly no vital spark but a decidedly warm inner Mmmmmmm......

Midwifebi6 Sat 26-Jun-21 13:16:56

I had several boyfriends my first at sixteen who broke my heart then I had three more all ending after a short while. Then one night I was in a pub when a a young man came up to me introduce himself and said “ I’m going to marry you” I looked at him intently and replied “ do you know I think you will”
50 years later the spark between us from that first meeting has never dimmed. I am the only girlfriend my husband has ever had. So grateful we met.