Gransnet forums

Health

Feeling really down

(31 Posts)
Nanderin Tue 13-Jul-21 15:13:06

Hi everyone I feel really down and lonely. I have family but they busy with their own lives .I don't know how to get out of the way I am feeling .I feel like I have no purpose anymore.

Lollin Wed 14-Jul-21 08:54:43

Hi Nanderin your name makes me think of mandarins that became known as tangerines or am I completely wrong? Anyway, your name conjures up the lovely image of sweet small oranges smile I was wondering if your family actually know how you feel because sometimes others look happy and content when in fact they may understand more than you realise, especially during these unusual times. Sometimes mentioning how you feel to someone can be quite a revelation. I hope you do not have to wait long for your counselling to start. It is really good that you went to your gp.

BlueSky Wed 14-Jul-21 09:01:36

Nanderin there’s a thread on here the
Black Dog Gang where you’ll find a lot of support from Anniebach and others. I’m often on there with my depression and anxiety issues.

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 14-Jul-21 10:07:41

Nanderin, Maybee and Lemongrove put it so well. We raise our children to be independent and make their own busy lives and should be pleased they’ve done so but it’s very difficult to see that when we’re depressed, as you undoubtedly are. Other people may say we have lots to be grateful for but they don’t see inside us. Depression isn’t rational. It’s an illness and your GP can help you just as with any other illness. Please see him/her. You will get sympathy and the right help. Once whatever your doctor prescribes starts to act you will feel so much better and able to think about things, such as perhaps joining a group that interests you or volunteering, which you just can’t imagine now. Depression traps you but it is entirely treatable. Please get the help you need. There is no shame in feeling like you do and your doctor will not judge you but treat you, just as mine did. And do look at the Black Dog thread, where you will receive a warm welcome and find good supportive friends.

TrendyNannie6 Wed 14-Jul-21 13:44:02

Agree with lemongrove post and onward post too

Infinity2 Wed 14-Jul-21 16:02:27

I think germanshepherdsmum is absolutely correct, there speaks the voice of experience.