Gransnet forums

Health

Has anyone used CBD gummies?

(78 Posts)
LizzieDrip Sat 31-Jul-21 11:37:41

I’m considering buying some CBD gummies for my anxiety. I wonder if any Grans Netters have any experience of them? Do they work or are they a waste of time and money? Any side effects? Thanks in anticipation.

LizzieDrip Sun 01-Aug-21 16:40:29

Thank you FannyCornforth for your understanding. I have health anxiety and am very reluctant to seek medical advice. I am in the ‘avoidance’ group! However, I think you’re right - I do need to speak to my GP as my anxiety has become much worse recently. Rather than being something ‘in the background’ it now feels like a permanent feature of my life which is becoming debilitating. Time for the big girl pants!!!

FannyCornforth Mon 02-Aug-21 08:51:41

Hello again Lizzie
That’s really good to hear.
Just remember that you can always stop taking them if you don’t get on with them!
And be prepared to try a couple of ‘brands’ to find the best one that suits you.
They might also prescribe beta blockers if you have panic type symptoms.
Good luck, you’ll be fine. Feel free to pm me and let me know how you’re getting on please smile

GagaJo Mon 02-Aug-21 09:11:13

The friend that recommended CBD oil to me, takes it for anxiety.

She also takes more conventional medications and gave me a valium once when I was very stressed. Made me quite sick.

Coolgran65 Mon 02-Aug-21 09:21:24

I tried CBD oil for restless legs syndrome and it did nothing.
I also take Citalopram for anxiety and it is of great benefit for my anxiety.

Namsnanny Mon 02-Aug-21 10:40:43

Lizziedrip I sympathize with the 'avoidance' tactic.
Something I use too.

B9exchange Mon 02-Aug-21 10:46:10

I would not advise taking anything with active cannabis in it, it could certainly make your anxiety worse.

LizzieDrip Mon 02-Aug-21 11:57:04

Namsnanny, thanks for empathising. I think I almost have a phobia of doctors. On the rare occasions I have been to my GP it has always resulted in further tests, referrals etc which reinforces my health anxiety. I have never come away from the doctor feeling reassured and glad that I went - just the opposite. So, it makes sense (to me) to avoid the situation as far as humanly possible! I think avoidance isn’t addressed enough in relation to health anxiety. All the information etc tends to focus on people who are constantly visiting doctors seeking reassurance - very little help for those who avoid☹️

JaneJudge Mon 02-Aug-21 12:01:06

Something I find useful for anxiety is a mega vitamin B complex like these

I could do with something that helps my joints though too!

FannyCornforth Mon 02-Aug-21 12:02:29

This might sound a bit daft Lizzie, but I’ve done something similar.
Explain your situation to the receptionist and ask who the ‘nicest’ doctor is.
GP receptionists get a terrible press, the ones at mine are lovely

FannyCornforth Mon 02-Aug-21 12:05:17

I don’t know whether you know this, Lizzie, but it’s called ‘white coat syndrome’.
DH has got a mild case of it, and it plays havoc with his blood pressure readings

JaneJudge Mon 02-Aug-21 12:10:05

Oh yes, I had to have a 24 hour monitor on blush because of it

LizzieDrip Mon 02-Aug-21 16:39:49

JaneJudge, precisely why I avoid the GP at all costs!!! A 24 hour monitor would send my health anxiety into an absolute spin!!! I think GPS treat people as a set of physical symptoms rather than considering the relationship between mind and body.

FannyCornforth Tue 03-Aug-21 08:06:18

Oh no! Don’t let that put you off going Lizzie!
You must explain that you have health anxiety, any GP worth their salt will understand.
And remember, you are in control - you don’t have to do anything against your will!

Aepgirl Tue 03-Aug-21 11:08:56

I just go up my road, to the alleyway by the station, take a long deep breath - my kick for the day from the cannabis smokers the night before!

NannyMags Tue 03-Aug-21 11:12:25

Have you tried Rescue Remedy? Bach flower remedy that comforts and reassures. I wouldn't be without it. Four drops on the tongue or into a cold drink. Marvellous.

LizzieDrip Tue 03-Aug-21 11:21:19

Thanks for all the helpful responses. Really good to get so many perspectives from this fantastic community. I like your idea Aepgirl???

cookiemonster66 Tue 03-Aug-21 11:28:16

I suffer terribly with anxiety, I have panic attacks which result in me passing out unconscious. During 1st lockdown hubby was glued to the news and every time I saw it I would have a panic attack, hyperventilate, vomit, pass out. I thought if I don't get a grip on this I need help from GP. I belong to a local charity which supports disabled people like myself as I have chronic pain from fibromyalgia and severe arthritis - use a mobility scooter, registered disabled. One support session they had a local businessman come in and explain about the benefits of CBD oil and I was the biggest cynic. I am very anti drugs even prescription drugs. I contacted him as a very last resort during lockdown, decided if it did not work I would have to get emergency GP appointment. I can honestly say they were my saviour during lock down, they calmed me right down, I suddenly had the best sleep I have ever had in my life and it relieved the pain. I did not really like the taste of the oil but I do not like green iron rich veggies either so not surprised, so the gummies were perfect for me. I will say that they are not like popping a pill, they need to build up in your system, so people saying they do not work maybe did not take them for long enough. The lady who said she has taken them for years and they work highlights this. I take mine 3 times a day, allow 2 weeks for them to kick in, mine took a week. CBD contains NO THC which is what gets you stoned, so is not the same as street drugs. The company I buy from is UK based and adheres to strict UK standards with medical certification. He has given me a discount code for 5% off. I thoroughly recommend this company. www.medivita.co.uk/?ref=16 and use the discount code: maria16

Bea65 Tue 03-Aug-21 11:41:30

Hi Cookiemonster66 ..am currently on beta blockers for my anxiety which am hoping to wean off from but your description of panic attacks mirrors my own...in fact i coped better with 1st lockdown but now not so much ..hope everyone on here having a better day! flowers

Jellygran Tue 03-Aug-21 11:53:52

Neuropathy Pain Relief Turmeric & Hemp Oil Formula Rich in Natural Extracts Soothe Feet, Knees, Back, Shoulders Balm Muscle Nerve & Joint Pain Relief Suitable for Diabetics by Sera Organics amazon.co.uk/dp/B08XZYPR28/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_M076Z5J0F4XT06J8EA8Z?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1]]

Totallylost Tue 03-Aug-21 11:55:09

If you’re on Facebook book look for a site called Simply CBD support group. I did soooooo much research before I took CBD , the products that Simply CBD produce and supply are most reasonable and the advice and support you get from everyone is fabulous. There’s so much expensive rubbish out there.

vickya Tue 03-Aug-21 12:08:42

I messaged OP too in case she no longer checks back:
I take it for arthritis and also it can help mood. Friend takes it for fibromyalgia pain and to be calm. It does not directly help pain but you care less.It distances it. It might help a bit too. Gummies are expensive and no use. You need a strong level of oil to work at all.
cbd.co.uk/collections/cbd-oil/products/canabidol-access-cbd-berry-flavour-oil-30ml is about it. This is a good place to get it.

We also rub it on the dog's ears! It calms him. He's old, 14, kidney failure and arthritis and back legs going and his elbows get sore. We spray his ears. I've got spray and drops and think drops best to deliver a careful dose. You start lower and can up it. There are no bad effects, you do not become dependent either.
All the best and hope it works.

Horatia Tue 03-Aug-21 12:10:38

They didn't work for me, that is not to say they wouldn't for you though.

Redgran18 Tue 03-Aug-21 12:53:38

I tried the very expensive gummies for chronic pain. Did nothing for me . To be fair to the company, they refunded my money straight away as a gesture of good will.

Estrellita Tue 03-Aug-21 13:00:44

I bought some at great expense. I honestly don't know if they made any difference- but I liked the taste!

icanhandthemback Tue 03-Aug-21 13:42:32

My autistic grandson has them when his anxiety levels are really high. Originally he had them daily; he went from being completely non-verbal to starting to talk within weeks. The health professionals could not believe the difference in him. He was on it for about a year and then they gradually withdrew it until he only has it when he needs help.