Gransnet forums

Health

WAITING Times for GP andNurse Appointments

(138 Posts)
westendgirl Wed 01-Sep-21 10:07:07

To be fair I must say that I was seen quickly and referred to a hospital clinic when I had a breast problem.

Sparklefizz Wed 01-Sep-21 10:05:16

I am being treated via telephone appointment by a yoga instructor who used to be a GP. I googled her.

westendgirl Wed 01-Sep-21 10:04:33

It does seem strange that there is so much difficulty. I asked when my surgery was going to get back to pre covid practices and was told that they didn't know as there had been a rise in covid figures. I did point out that my dentist had been seeing people since the beginning of the year,.

DiscoDancer1975 Wed 01-Sep-21 09:58:30

My DIL saw her GP yesterday!! Couldn’t believe it. I asked her if she had to carry out a risk assessment first!?

grumppa Wed 01-Sep-21 09:46:19

As I have reported on another thread, on Monday of last week I thought I detected signs of a previous problem which had landed me in hospital, and at 0800 on Tuesday morning I rang my GP practice. I got through after only 10 minutes (typical of pre-pandemic service) and the receptionist promised that a doctor would ring me back during the morning. This he did at 1010, and I was in his surgery being examined at 1135. He rang the local hospital while I was there, and by 1230 I was in A&E. Full marks to the GP practice.

Humbertbear Wed 01-Sep-21 08:55:29

The triage system seems to work at our surgery. You may have to wait for a doctor to phone you back but on the two occasions I have needed them recently I have been called in on the same day. I phoned last Friday morning and by lunchtime I was in a hospital bed with an operation on the Saturday. I really can’t fault that.
the younger generation seem less fussed about only seeing a nurse or talking to a GP on the phone. We have become accustomed to open access which the NHS can no longer afford. Also, sad to say, we aren’t always the best judge of what is urgent. I also wonder if they are looking at people’s records and judging them by how often they contact the surgery,

MrsEggy Wed 01-Sep-21 08:52:39

I've phoned on five occasions to get a phone consultation re my medications only to be told all that day's appointments are gone - by 8.10 am. Am then offered a phone consultation in three weeks time. What on earth would happen if I had an infection that needed antibiotics or anything else urgent?

Sarnia Wed 01-Sep-21 08:42:12

This is not a complaint. I worked for the NHS for 17 years until Covid struck and I retired. That great organisation was under strain before Covid and I have great admiration for the way they have coped through this seemingly, never-ending pandemic. However, what is happening to GP appointments? My surgery makes it very clear that they do not want anyone with a Covid related issue to either phone or call in person. Why, then are patients with the usual ailments not being seen face-to-face and within a reasonable amount of time? Recently, after 2 telephone consultations that did nothing to address my concerns, I asked if I could see my GP at the surgery. After a discussion with the duty doctor, the receptionist made an appointment for yesterday afternoon. When I was called in to the GP's room it was to find that a paramedic practitioner was going to see me, not a doctor. To be fair he was very thorough and has made an appointment for me to have an x-ray and, oh goody, an endoscopy. I just worry that this present system may result in people's conditions worsening with dire results in some cases.

Esspee Tue 31-Aug-21 13:49:25

Throughout the pandemic we have received excellent support from our practice. Doctors call back within the hour and if necessary an appointment within 24 hours or referral.
If you request a particular doctor e.g. male doctor for male complaints you might have to accept an appointment within the week.
The NHS has been working brilliantly for us.

Bea65 Tue 31-Aug-21 13:48:13

Yes I saw that redhaired GP on Vine Channel5stating that 3 out of 5 GPs are seeing patients face to face..where??

Smileless2012 Tue 31-Aug-21 13:40:00

What on earth is going on? I've heard and read about so many people being unable to access their GP and yet again on tv this morning there was a GP saying how hard they're all working, so what on earth are they doing?

I share your frustration and the feeling that insanity is looming Beaangry

Bea65 Tue 31-Aug-21 13:34:58

meant to say telephone triage with GP next Monday after 8:30 a.m.

Bea65 Tue 31-Aug-21 13:33:58

Sorry have to rant ..almost in tears..went again toGP surgery as couldn't get thru at 8a.m on phone..on going on 2 weeks..so receptionist said no to booking appt with nurse ..said to ring tomorrow at 8a.m. ? AAH! but she could book me a prebook telephone triage next Monday? i feel like am going insane...