Gransnet forums

Health

Breast pain

(86 Posts)
rafichagran Sat 11-Sep-21 11:24:39

I have made a appointment to see the GP, I have pain in my left breast but no lump, it is just very uncomfortable, anyone else had experience of this, and did you end up taking alot of pain killers?
I am just wondering if this is a common thing that happens with age.

JaneJudge Thu 16-Sep-21 16:55:55

growstuff

Yes, I have a similar pain now and have had for a few months. Eventually, I got a face-to-face appointment with my GP. She couldn't feel any lump. She wrote to the breast clinic about it, but they won't scan me until next February, when my next screening is due. To say I'm worried and a tad angry would be an understatement.

growstuff, can you see someone else?

They should refer you on the 2 week pathway

JaneJudge Thu 16-Sep-21 16:56:10

and OP go to the GP please flowers

nadateturbe Thu 16-Sep-21 17:03:08

I think I would be a bit more insistent about getting it checked Growstuff. Just my opinion.

nadateturbe Thu 16-Sep-21 17:04:16

JaneJudge

and OP go to the GP please flowers

I think she has an appointment.

growstuff Thu 16-Sep-21 18:25:50

JaneJudge

growstuff

Yes, I have a similar pain now and have had for a few months. Eventually, I got a face-to-face appointment with my GP. She couldn't feel any lump. She wrote to the breast clinic about it, but they won't scan me until next February, when my next screening is due. To say I'm worried and a tad angry would be an understatement.

growstuff, can you see someone else?

They should refer you on the 2 week pathway

I know they should, but it was difficult enough to get an appointment anyway. It took two days hanging on the phone to get through to the practice and then I had to wait three weeks for an appointment. The GP texted me to say she's written to the breast screening service, but they said they couldn't give me a scan because the GP couldn't feel a lump and I'll have to wait for my next routine scan. I don't know whether the GP could have been more insistent, but I honestly feel as though I'm being dismissed as a hypochondriac.

Anyway, rafichagran, I hope it all turns out well for you.

Rosina Thu 16-Sep-21 22:28:08

I have breast pain - or discomfort - on one side most of the time. It got quite bad a year or so ago and I was referred for a mammogram; all was well fortunately. A doctor told me that it is very common to have discomfort and pain - and most of the time there is no sinister cause, it's all part of that jolly scenario which makes us all want to sing 'I enjoy being a girl'.
I do hope all is well for you - chances are it's nothing at all. xx

Forsythia Thu 16-Sep-21 22:37:54

I’d always get checked out. I had a routine mammogram in 2013. I’d never smoked, live cleanly and thought it was just routine. No pain, no lumps…..I had something called DCIS. I had a lumpectomy and five weeks of radiotherapy. After that, I’d always recommend to anybody if in doubt get it checked out. Fingers crossed for the OP.

growstuff Wed 06-Apr-22 20:45:54

nadateturbe

I think I would be a bit more insistent about getting it checked Growstuff. Just my opinion.

Oh! I was insistent, but without the money to pay for a private scan, I didn't get anywhere. I tried to be patient and optimistic and understand that GPs are under pressure with Covid.

Anyway, fast forward .... I eventually had a scan and a small (11mm) lump has been found. I've had an ultrasound and biopsy and I find out on Monday if it's cancer.

Meanwhile, I've started the complaints procedure against the GP ... not that that's much consolation if it turns out to be something nasty.

Jaxjacky Wed 06-Apr-22 20:53:38

I have everything crossed for you growstuff it’s scary x

MissAdventure Wed 06-Apr-22 21:03:08

It's all very well if you have the kind of gp that is happy to let you get checked out, but a different story if you have one who isn't very supportive.
I've loads of things I need checking out, but I'm at the point where I dare not ask again.
Anyway, best wishes for Monday growstuff.

crazyH Wed 06-Apr-22 21:36:09

On undressing for bed one night, I noticed a blood stain in my bra. Made an appointment with GP first thing next morning. I was referred immediately to the Breast Clinic - biopsy done within a week. Happy to report, it turned out to be benign.
Come to think of it, I can’t remember whether I had a follow up scan etc. Maybe I had. It was a few years ago.
For anyone who is panicking and has just noticed something unusual, please be calm but please make an appointment to see your GP asap. Even the worst symptom (bleeding, in my case) can be something quite benign.

crazyH Wed 06-Apr-22 21:37:20

Good luck growstuff

crazyH Wed 06-Apr-22 21:39:28

Good luck rafichagran

Rosina Wed 06-Apr-22 22:30:05

growstuff nine times out of ten the lumps are nothing at all, just pieces of fatty tissue which a surgeon refers to as a 'breast mouse'. Keep that chin up - chances are it is nothing to worry about. xx

growstuff Thu 07-Apr-22 02:41:33

Rosina

growstuff nine times out of ten the lumps are nothing at all, just pieces of fatty tissue which a surgeon refers to as a 'breast mouse'. Keep that chin up - chances are it is nothing to worry about. xx

I've had a fatty lump before, but the consultant who did the ultrasound and biopsy was concerned. I trusted him enough to know the difference.

I'm angry because it was the GP's fault that I wasn't fast-tracked for a two week assessment on the first place, which the hospital said she should have done.

growstuff Thu 07-Apr-22 04:44:29

Thank you to the people who have sent me good wishes. I'm trying hard to remain optimistic, yet realistic. I'm frustrated that my concerns were ignored and I was treated as an ignorant hypochondriac. I've started a formal complaints process because I don't want other people to have to go through months of worry, as I have.

TopsyIrene06 Thu 07-Apr-22 07:15:14

Growstuff You have been through the wringer. Everything crossed for you.

BlueSky Thu 07-Apr-22 09:11:46

With us it depends on which GP you get to see in our practice. We’ve got a couple who are let’s say over zealous and will send you off for scans even when you don’t expect it. I guess it’s always wise to check anyway.
All the best Growstuff.

growstuff Thu 07-Apr-22 18:04:12

I would far rather a GP ordered tests, if there's the slightest suspicion of anything. It's far cheaper and less traumatic to deal with most things if caught early.

I've since discovered that the GP I saw has a reputation for dismissing people's concerns and for being quite rude and arrogant. I don't see a GP very often, so I'd not come across her before. She's a partner and in her 50s ( I would guess), so not inexperienced.

Jaxjacky Thu 07-Apr-22 18:43:04

I’m not surprised you’re hopping mad growstuff I’d use stronger words, but get barred from here, all power to your elbow.

SueDonim Thu 07-Apr-22 19:55:26

I don’t blame you for being angry, Growstuff. That’s simply not good enough. I’m wishing you all the best for next week. flowers

PECS Thu 07-Apr-22 21:57:52

I also had breast pain about 3 years ago. GP I saw was reassuring and examined me, checked my screening results and said it could be referred muscular pain or a poorly supporting bra! It did get better and has not recurred.

LadyWee Fri 08-Apr-22 06:11:18

Just hopping on to say - breast pain isn’t usually part of the 2 week referral criteria. Plus GPs cannot normally order USS/mammograms etc. Normally breast referrals go through the breast team and they will
Arrange investigations. Sometimes when posters advise people they need something when they don’t meet the NHS criteria I can imagine it can lead to a lot of distress for those involved as they have unmet expectations.

growstuff Fri 08-Apr-22 08:39:22

LadyWee In my case, I didn't have "pain". I could feel something which felt like a lump and I could sense something inside my breast, which felt like a pea. If I pressed against that part of my breast, there was a sensation - I wouldn't describe it as pain, but I could definitely feel something and that's what I described to the GP.

I waited patiently for my routine mammogram, which confirmed there had been changes. I was recalled at that point and had an ultrasound, which showed up a lump. Fortunately, it's still small (11mm), but is not a sebaceous cyst, which I've had before. I've now had a biopsy. It will be removed, whether or not it's cancerous.

LadyWee I wasn't relying on advice from GN. I had read the same as you posted. I had an unexplained lump (without pain), which the consultant at the breast team told me should have prompted a referral. He still couldn't fell anything, although I could and should have been believed. The point is that the GP couldn't feel anything when she examined me and didn't believe me when I said that I could. She obviously dismissed me as some kind of fantasist or hypochondriac.

GrannyLaine Fri 08-Apr-22 08:47:40

LadyWee

Just hopping on to say - breast pain isn’t usually part of the 2 week referral criteria. Plus GPs cannot normally order USS/mammograms etc. Normally breast referrals go through the breast team and they will
Arrange investigations. Sometimes when posters advise people they need something when they don’t meet the NHS criteria I can imagine it can lead to a lot of distress for those involved as they have unmet expectations.

Good post LadyWee, absolutely agree.