Gransnet forums

Health

Breast pain

(85 Posts)
rafichagran Sat 11-Sep-21 11:24:39

I have made a appointment to see the GP, I have pain in my left breast but no lump, it is just very uncomfortable, anyone else had experience of this, and did you end up taking alot of pain killers?
I am just wondering if this is a common thing that happens with age.

Jaxjacky Sat 11-Sep-21 11:40:52

I had it earlier this year rafichagran also some swelling under the arm, I took paracetamol and used voltarol. Very swift referral, a week, from GP examination to the breast clinic, all ok. Apparently it’s not unknown, I was very scared, swiftly followed by very relieved and grateful to my GP as it was during lockdown. Hopefully yours is the same.

timetogo2016 Sat 11-Sep-21 11:45:46

Don`t worry rafichagran,you may have pulled a muscle,i reached far too high for something and omg the breast pain i suffered was horrendous,it lasted a good week.
But you are doing the right thing seeing you Gp.
Hope you feel better soon.

Liz46 Sat 11-Sep-21 11:46:23

I get it off and on and was checked the first time it happened. Now I have abandoned the mitt I used to wear to wash myself in the shower and just rub soapy hands over my breasts every morning.

rafichagran Sat 11-Sep-21 12:50:12

Thankyou very much for your replies, you have put my mind at rest. I was concerned.

Sardinia2020 Sat 11-Sep-21 13:10:13

Hi, I had breast pain and I kept thinking the skin on the same breast looked a bit stretched. I thought I was probably being ridiculous but went to the gp anyway. She said breast pain isn’t usually anything sinister but I was referred to the breast clinic. No one could feel any lumps but they decided to do a mammogram and then a biopsy when that looked a bit odd and I was diagnosed with lobular breast cancer. It was quite a big area and I had to have a mastectomy. At no stage were any of the medical staff able to find any lumps. I’m sure you’ll be fine but I would go to the gp if I were you.

Lucca Sat 11-Sep-21 13:18:25

rafichagran

Thankyou very much for your replies, you have put my mind at rest. I was concerned.

I have been told that if it’s cancer it wouldn’t hurt. Over the years I often had pain in my boobs and it turned out to be was nothing.
Then I did get breast cancer and no it didn’t hurt !!

rafichagran Sat 11-Sep-21 13:35:09

Thanks again for the replies, that is why I posted I wanted to hear everyone's experience. I know making the appointment with the GP was right and I will take the advice on taking the painkillers.

FindingNemo15 Sat 11-Sep-21 14:21:45

On the advice of the consultant at the breast clinic I take 3000mg of Evening Primrose Oil capsules a day and now hardly ever get any breast pain.

CafeAuLait Sun 12-Sep-21 05:44:50

I had the same and an ultrasound found a couple of mildly dilated ducts. Apparently it's not that uncommon and of no concern. A follow up mammogram was all okay.

travelsafar Sun 12-Sep-21 07:46:51

Findingnemo you beat me to it. Last year I kept getting a piercing pain and was told the same thing by Gp,yes it worked and OP you are right to get checked out. Good luck

silverlining48 Sun 12-Sep-21 08:10:11

I had pain too and was referred to the breast clinic. Everything was going to be clear and evening primrose was recommended which I used. All is well now, good luck ?

sydneywaters Thu 16-Sep-21 11:21:08

Be positive. Sometimes this may be caused by hormone imbalance. You can try to massage your breast with warm castor oil, I tried that and it worked for me. That might help. There are some natural remedies and herbs that work like magic. I found them on iahas.com and I am sure there are many such websites you can refer to.

growstuff Thu 16-Sep-21 13:49:09

Yes, I have a similar pain now and have had for a few months. Eventually, I got a face-to-face appointment with my GP. She couldn't feel any lump. She wrote to the breast clinic about it, but they won't scan me until next February, when my next screening is due. To say I'm worried and a tad angry would be an understatement.

LauraNorder Thu 16-Sep-21 14:27:59

If in doubt, check it out.

growstuff Thu 16-Sep-21 14:31:00

LauraNorder

If in doubt, check it out.

Did that and nobody will check it out angry

nadateturbe Thu 16-Sep-21 14:45:02

Can you not pay Growstuff and get scanned sooner?

nadateturbe Thu 16-Sep-21 14:46:41

I appreciate some people can't afford to pay, but if you can....

soop Thu 16-Sep-21 15:37:02

rafichagran I had the same symptoms as Sardinia2020. The severe pain woke me up. I saw a lady GP two days later. Within six weeks the breast was removed - lobular cancer.
For your own sake, I hope that you can get a medical expert to take the matter seriously. flowers

growstuff Thu 16-Sep-21 15:37:54

nadateturbe

Can you not pay Growstuff and get scanned sooner?

I looked into it but I really don't have the money.

growstuff Thu 16-Sep-21 15:38:13

nadateturbe

I appreciate some people can't afford to pay, but if you can....

No, I can't.

rafichagran Thu 16-Sep-21 15:50:05

I have seen the GP, I have been asked to take pain killers for a week and if it still hurts I am getting a referral to the breast clinic local to me.
I too woke up in the night with the pain.

nadateturbe Thu 16-Sep-21 15:58:15

Sorry about that Growstuff. It's a long wait when you're anxious.

User7777 Thu 16-Sep-21 16:45:39

Yes I have had pain for a long time plus one of them was droopy. Been to hospital, awaiting results. They said I had not had breasts checked for nearly 20 years.

growstuff Thu 16-Sep-21 16:51:38

User7777

Yes I have had pain for a long time plus one of them was droopy. Been to hospital, awaiting results. They said I had not had breasts checked for nearly 20 years.

Mine were last checked in February 2019, according to the breast screening service. However, according to the GP's records, I haven't had them screened since 2013, which doesn't inspire confidence in their record keeping.

I had a benign cyst in the same breast years ago. The GP couldn't feel anything then either, but I insisted. I received an apology from the GP at the time because he thought I was imagining it. I also have a family history of breast cancer.

I'm not sure whether changing GP and being more "dramatic" about the pain might help, but I'm considering it.