Gransnet forums

Health

Breast pain

(86 Posts)
rafichagran Sat 11-Sep-21 11:24:39

I have made a appointment to see the GP, I have pain in my left breast but no lump, it is just very uncomfortable, anyone else had experience of this, and did you end up taking alot of pain killers?
I am just wondering if this is a common thing that happens with age.

growstuff Thu 19-May-22 17:35:27

Thanks Ladyleftfiellover. I'm still seething that my GP didn't listen to me and didn't refer me last October. I've had an interview with the senior partner in the GP practice and now I can't decide whether to start legal proceedings. The most important issue for me is that nobody ever again gets dismissed like I did.

Kateykrunch Thu 19-May-22 18:07:23

I am sorry to learn of your diagnosis. I had breast pain prior to my first invasive breast cancer diagnosis resulting in a left mastectomy and radiotherapy in 2017/2018. Fast forward to this year and at my 4 year followup mamogram, I was found to have yet another cancer, non invasive this time, resulting in a right mastectomy. If you want to discuss anything regarding a mastectomy please feel to message me. Wishing you all the very best for your treatment and recovery.

TopsyIrene06 Thu 19-May-22 18:53:56

Growstuff. Thinking of you. Be strong if you can, although I know how difficult this can be.

GagaJo Thu 19-May-22 19:14:19

growstuff, I can't begin to know how you're feeling about not being believed or listened to. What I would say though, is that I've had BC, lumpectomy, followed by double mastectomy, chemo, radio, hysterectomy. The works really. Hopefully mine is gone for good. I've lived a lot since cancer and mine was stage 3 aggressive cancer (have the BRCA1 gene).

The diagnosis is hell, but honestly, it does get easier after that (including the treatments). If you ever need someone to moan to, who has been there, feel free to PM me.

growstuff Thu 19-May-22 20:52:56

Thanks Gagajo. Obviously it's a shock, although in a way I'm not that surprised. I knew something's been wrong for about a year. I'm "breast aware" because my mother, grandmother and gt grandmother all had breast cancer. Not being believed and the way the GP dealt with me is what's really upset me. I just wish I'd made more of a fuss and known that I could have had a private mammogram (which I could just about have afforded). The GP should have known that lobular breast cancer doesn't always produce palpable lumps.

growstuff Thu 19-May-22 20:53:40

Thanks Kateykrunch.

rafichagran Thu 19-May-22 21:08:54

Growstuff I am very sorry to hear your diagnosis. Your advice to get checked is spot in.

hulahoop Sat 21-May-22 14:45:08

Growstuff how you doing now? I really get angry when people say you don't get pain when it's cancer especially health professional s back in 2014 when I saw Dr about my pain and strange feeling in right breast she said it doesn't usually cause pain but said she would refer me I had two aggressive lumps and mastectomy within the month G p did apologise .Fast forward to dec2021 pain in left breast 2small lumps so I requested mastectomy same done 3weeks later .I wish you all the best through the next stages of your treatment .?

TwinLolly Sat 21-May-22 14:59:04

I get breast pain now and then. It is hormonal and my GP advised I take evening primrose oil for a couple of months.

It eventually settled down after a week or so of taking evening primrose oil.

I now keep a bottle of evening primrose oil capsules and will take them if I get breast pain, then continue for a month or two. I rarely get breast pain now but if it comes - back to the evening primrose oil.

growstuff Tue 09-Aug-22 15:00:35

hulahoop

Growstuff how you doing now? I really get angry when people say you don't get pain when it's cancer especially health professional s back in 2014 when I saw Dr about my pain and strange feeling in right breast she said it doesn't usually cause pain but said she would refer me I had two aggressive lumps and mastectomy within the month G p did apologise .Fast forward to dec2021 pain in left breast 2small lumps so I requested mastectomy same done 3weeks later .I wish you all the best through the next stages of your treatment .?

It's been a bit of a roller coaster. I was told I needed a mastectomy, but I couldn't have an implant because my diabetes test results were too high. I made up my mind to get my blood glucose levels down (which I have), changed consultant and have had a lumpectomy (last week). It's healing well and I feel fine, but am waiting for the histology results on the tissue they removed and my lymph nodes. I wasn't mentally prepared to go flat and lop-sided, but I'm realistic to know that it's a possibility in the future. At least my diabetes is now really well-controlled and I can hopefully have an implant. I'm expecting to have radiotherapy and be prescribed a hormone inhibitor.