Gransnet forums

Health

Sudden death

(47 Posts)
Tizliz Sun 12-Sep-21 22:00:35

I suppose I have been lucky in that the only deaths I have encountered have been my parent’s generation, until today. A good close friend died suddenly and unexpectedly. He was only in his fifties and though he had been ill a few years ago he thought he had recovered. But he didn’t even make it to hospital and died in the ambulance. It is such a shock to us so I can’t imagine how his wife and young family are coping. Nothing can prepare you for this.

travelsafar Mon 13-Sep-21 10:21:52

This happened in our family too. My youngest brother literally dropped down dead at the age of 52. He was alone in the house at the time as he worked nights and everyone else was out. My youngest nephew returned from college to find his dad halfway up or down the stairs. PM said he had a massive stroke. |It was my SIL birthday when he died which added to the tradgey. The whole family were devestated and it has taken years for us to come to terms with his loss.

Kim19 Mon 13-Sep-21 10:24:11

grandMattie?

JaneJudge Mon 13-Sep-21 10:27:44

I'm sorry to all of you who have had to experience this. It certainly sisn't uncommon Monica, you are right flowers

Tizliz flowers

Kate1949 Mon 13-Sep-21 10:35:30

grandemattie How dreadful for you. Our nephew was 17 when he and his dad found their mum/wife dead. As mentioned on another thread, this same nephew found his dad collapsed two weeks ago from a massive stroke. We are praying for his recovery. I can't believe my nephew has gone through this twice. All good wishes to your family.

Tizliz Mon 13-Sep-21 10:56:36

It is terrible that this happens so often, I have lived a very sheltered life. My feelings go out to you all

SueDonim Mon 13-Sep-21 11:38:35

I am so sorry, Tizliz, Grandmattie and all who’ve endured this pain. flowers

As said below, it happens surprisingly often. In old age it may be seen as a blessing by some, but in youth, it’s so very cruel.

PinkCosmos Mon 13-Sep-21 13:48:59

My uncle dropped dead at 61. Massive heart attack. He hadn't had any health issues previously.

MiniMoon Mon 13-Sep-21 14:09:00

My SiL found her husband dead on the kitchen floor when she returned home from shopping. He'd had a total knee replacement a few weeks before and was still on lots of painkillers. The post mortem showed he had died from a massive heart attack and the painkillers he was on had probably Masked the symptoms.
Such a shock for the entire family, they had four teenagers who took their father's death quite hard.

MiniMoon Mon 13-Sep-21 14:09:19

He was 51.

GillT57 Mon 13-Sep-21 14:27:18

Gosh, such sad, sad stories. flowers to you all. Although I agree that sudden death, hopefully in one's own bed is preferable to a long drawn out decline, this wasn't the case in any of these cases where the people died far too young. My grandmother died of a sudden heart attack, at 69, with no hints of illness previously. I still remember that phone call.

Kate1949 Mon 13-Sep-21 14:33:31

My sister in law mentioned above was 49. She never got over losing her son, as of course you wouldn't.

Tizliz Mon 27-Sep-21 17:23:04

The funeral was today. It was shown on line, never heard of that before. I was talking to his boss about it and it was because the funeral was so far from his work. He thought about 1400 colleagues watched it. I never knew much about his work life. It was heartbreaking that he was respected by so many people.

sodapop Mon 27-Sep-21 18:01:54

So sorry for both of you Grandmattie & Tizliz You have my sympathy thanks

TwiceAsNice Mon 27-Sep-21 18:13:13

My friend died suddenly at 68, the age I am now. She and her husband went to bed, she was quite well, very fit, took no medication. He woke up the next morning to find her dead in bed beside him. 2 post-mortems found no reason.

It was an awful shock I had been friends with her since I was 18. It was worse because we didn’t know why. Her husband asked me to read the eulogy at her funeral, that was such a privilege

JaneJudge Mon 27-Sep-21 18:16:49

I'm sorry sad flowers
I don't think families do get over it to be honest. My husband found his Dad who also died on the way to hospital and one of my siblings died suddenly, even though they were ill. It just doesn't make sense
Look after yourselves all xx

JaneJudge Mon 27-Sep-21 18:18:56

Tizliz

The funeral was today. It was shown on line, never heard of that before. I was talking to his boss about it and it was because the funeral was so far from his work. He thought about 1400 colleagues watched it. I never knew much about his work life. It was heartbreaking that he was respected by so many people.

flowers
I suppose it is good technology can help with respect to funerals. My friend found it a comfort when she lost her husband last year x

silverlining48 Mon 27-Sep-21 18:36:42

So much sorrow. Grandmattie you are in my thoughts.

Madgran77 Mon 27-Sep-21 18:39:19

So hard TizLiz. My cousin died totally unexpectedly a couple of months ago, Such a shock and like you said, so awful for their families flowers

Liveinnan Mon 27-Sep-21 19:00:47

My daughter once told me that I was an “odd” person and that’s why I don’t have many friends. I then met another “odd” person, who I totally related to and we became good friends for about 2 years. She then died suddenly at the age of 50, totally unexpectedly. I was distraught and found it harder to get over than when my parents died. That was 30 years ago and still have never met anyone who fitted so well with me.

SueDonim Mon 27-Sep-21 20:20:20

It must have been so difficult to say farewell, Tizliz. flowers

My friend’s mum died suddenly last week, with no warning at all, in her early 70’s. sad

Allsorts Tue 28-Sep-21 06:51:43

It’s awful, especially when young, such a shock to the families and friends, however when you’ve had a full life it’s the best way to go, I would rather that than a painful decline or nursing homes.