Gransnet forums

Health

Is medication really the only answer to long term depression?

(35 Posts)
Kandinsky Tue 21-Sep-21 07:49:14

I’ve been depressed for years. ( a few tragic life events I’ve never really gotten over )
I function normally, hold down a job, keep myself & the house clean etc, so on the surface no one would know.
But I feel so dead inside most of the time. I look forward to very little & just see things getting worse the older I get, as ageing brings even more challenges.
I’ve always avoided anti-depressants as didn’t want to become addicted or ‘numb’ to feelings. But this awful feeling just isn’t going away - so my question is, are anti depressants really the only answer?
Thank you x

Kandinsky Tue 21-Sep-21 11:34:36

Thank you everyone for your support & advice - really appreciate it. thanks

Jillyjosie Tue 21-Sep-21 11:38:01

My mother died because a GP gave her an inhaler when she had pneumonia. A friend's mother died because she was treated for indigestion when she had gall bladder cancer. Misdiagnosis by GPs is legion and claims against GPs have risen by 50% of late.
www.pulsetoday.co.uk/news/regulation/medical-negligence-claims-against-gps-at-all-time-high/

I totally refute and reflect back accusations of saying something dangerous. Shall I find the statistics of people committing suicide when given anti depressants or would those just fall foul of bigotry?

I've had a lot of dealings with the medical world in a professional capacity. The faith of some is admirable but based on belief.

Each to their own. I could point you to clinical studies about the efficacy of acupuncture and allied practices for depression. Similarly the effect of diet and the biome on our well being but you wouldn't bother reading so I won't bother finding the references. Of course, not everyone has the ability to read complex medical research papers.

I have every right to my opinion as do you to yours, perhaps danger is in the minds of the beholder.

Blondiescot Tue 21-Sep-21 11:48:04

Jillyjosie - what makes you think some of us haven't done considerable research of our own or tried alternative therapies/practices before resorting to medication? I find your post quite condescending, to be quite frank.

Jillyjosie Tue 21-Sep-21 11:50:54

And I forgot the dear friend, intelligent and articulate, whose GP spent FOUR MONTHS faffing about and not listening before finally referring my friend who later died of ovarian cancer.

I suspect a lot of it is now about cost and GPs being businesses not real health care. Times have changed, no wonder they all now have to have insurance.

Jillyjosie Tue 21-Sep-21 11:53:10

I feel some condescending posts have been aimed at me too, not for the first time. Great, those also read medical papers. Construct an intelligent exchange of views then, I'd welcome but I'm not prepared to be rudely rejected out of hand by people who are acting out of prejudice. There is solid evidence out there.

growstuff Tue 21-Sep-21 11:58:01

Germanshepherdsmum

I do agree trisher (oh dear, this is getting worrying!). All the things you mention can be so helpful. I found medication got me into a place where I could do them. Depression tends to take away all motivation and medication gave me a kick-start.

I agree absolutely with this. When I needed them, ADs lifted me enough to make positive changes in my life. I no longer take them, but recognise when/if I'm going downhill and manage to talk myself round. I don't think I could have done it without medication and a sympathetic GP.

Bea65 Tue 21-Sep-21 12:04:19

If you have poor eyesight, you wear glasses or lenses; if you are feeling low and 'dead inside' you may need anti-depressants they certainly helped me in the past altho it might take 4-6 wks to feel any different..So please persevere..

Granmarderby10 Tue 21-Sep-21 12:51:08

Kandinsky what you have described on here are very familiar ( to me ) symptoms of depression. I think you really should consider anti-depressant medication. The right one will “balance” your emotional reactions out so that you don’t burst into tears at the drop of a hat or feel inexplicable sadness. I found it shook off the heavy cloak I felt I had been wearing without realising. Do not worry about the “numbness” you may have heard about, instead be brave and tell those who you really care about that you are on a medication and it may appear as though you aren’t enthusiastic or emotional about things, but better this than the exhausting roller coaster that is depression. You will get things done (whatever they may be) eat better, care more for yourself, be less distracted and more absorbed by things like TV, books, chores, etc, learn to emotionally screen off situations, tasks and people you have found upsetting or difficult. Think more clearly, Get back your sense of humour and joy, empathise more with people. Live! Anti-depressants won’t take away what happened before in your life rather allow you to visit and discuss them from a safe distance. They won’t make you feel out of body or high or addicted or out of control. You will make sense to yourself more and interact with others more successfully and honestly. I definitely recommend. ?‍♀️

PinkCakes Tue 21-Sep-21 15:41:46

I've been on antidepressants for many years. Like most people, there have been different things in my life to make me feel low - the most recent is in July, I had Covid then pneumonia, was on a ventilator for 2 weeks, then it was found I'd had a stroke, so I was in hospital for a further 4 weeks.

I've made a fantastic recovery, am almost back to normal - but I'd rather take antidepressants for the rest of my life than ever feel so utterly wretched again.