Gransnet forums

Health

Flu jab

(88 Posts)
Forsythia Tue 21-Sep-21 20:23:20

This year we had our flu jab at our local chemist. I rang on Friday and had it the next day. Usually, we have it at the GP surgery but this year they couldn’t confirm when it would be likely and said they couldn’t give us a timescale for the roll out. My brother in law had his at the chemist so we tried it and it was easy. I hope this might help others waiting to get their jab.

Alegrias1 Fri 24-Sep-21 09:19:29

BlueBelle

Bit pedantic I guess but why is a vaccination called a jag over the border I can understand a Jab as that’s what happening you get jabbed by a needle but a jag where does that come from?
This isn’t meant to be nasty just interested in the origin

Bluebelle jag is a widely used word in Scotland for an injection of any kind. Jaggy means sharp; jaggy thistles, jaggy broken glass.

Some people - and I definitely don't mean you - like to have a go at people who say jag. Much like people who have a go at Northern politicians with working class accents, I expect.

SueDonim Fri 24-Sep-21 13:00:43

Jagged, according to the Oxford dictionary, means ‘with rough, sharp points protruding’ so I assume that ‘jag’ comes from the needle being a protruding sharp point.

I’ve never heard anyone being derided for using the term jag, though. It’s what everyone uses up here.

Meanwhile, my youngest used the word shoogle to her Londoner flatmate yesterday. Her flat mate looked at her in astonishment and said ‘What on earth are you talking about?’ grin

BlueBelle Sat 25-Sep-21 07:02:36

Thanks Aligias, I really wasn’t having a go, I just couldn’t see the connection but get it now
What the heck’s a shoogle sue

Alegrias1 Sat 25-Sep-21 07:10:38

No, I know you weren't Bluebelle thanks

Please don't think your coat's on a shoogly peg wink

Lucca Sat 25-Sep-21 07:33:42

Wobble ? Give it a shoogle?

BlueBelle Sat 25-Sep-21 07:54:18

What’s wobble got to do with vaccinations? ??‍♂️
Anyway Boots have just texted me to cancel as the pharmacist is ill !!!

Lucca Sat 25-Sep-21 10:06:06

Anyway… I just had my flu jab and was very brave

Alegrias1 Sat 25-Sep-21 10:53:47

Well done Lucca.

Lolly for being a brave girl ? wink

henetha Sat 25-Sep-21 11:08:00

Had my flu jab at 8.30 this morning and all ok.

Lucca Sat 25-Sep-21 11:29:17

Alegrias1

Well done Lucca.

Lolly for being a brave girl ? wink

Not even a sticker!

misty34 Tue 28-Sep-21 22:42:57

Got a call from GP today having mine next week

annodomini Tue 28-Sep-21 23:23:10

I'm so glad I was brought up calling my vaccination a 'wee jag' rather than a 'wee prick'. grin