Gransnet forums

Health

Flu jab

(88 Posts)
Forsythia Tue 21-Sep-21 20:23:20

This year we had our flu jab at our local chemist. I rang on Friday and had it the next day. Usually, we have it at the GP surgery but this year they couldn’t confirm when it would be likely and said they couldn’t give us a timescale for the roll out. My brother in law had his at the chemist so we tried it and it was easy. I hope this might help others waiting to get their jab.

annodomini Tue 28-Sep-21 23:23:10

I'm so glad I was brought up calling my vaccination a 'wee jag' rather than a 'wee prick'. grin

misty34 Tue 28-Sep-21 22:42:57

Got a call from GP today having mine next week

Lucca Sat 25-Sep-21 11:29:17

Alegrias1

Well done Lucca.

Lolly for being a brave girl ? wink

Not even a sticker!

henetha Sat 25-Sep-21 11:08:00

Had my flu jab at 8.30 this morning and all ok.

Alegrias1 Sat 25-Sep-21 10:53:47

Well done Lucca.

Lolly for being a brave girl ? wink

Lucca Sat 25-Sep-21 10:06:06

Anyway… I just had my flu jab and was very brave

BlueBelle Sat 25-Sep-21 07:54:18

What’s wobble got to do with vaccinations? ??‍♂️
Anyway Boots have just texted me to cancel as the pharmacist is ill !!!

Lucca Sat 25-Sep-21 07:33:42

Wobble ? Give it a shoogle?

Alegrias1 Sat 25-Sep-21 07:10:38

No, I know you weren't Bluebelle thanks

Please don't think your coat's on a shoogly peg wink

BlueBelle Sat 25-Sep-21 07:02:36

Thanks Aligias, I really wasn’t having a go, I just couldn’t see the connection but get it now
What the heck’s a shoogle sue

SueDonim Fri 24-Sep-21 13:00:43

Jagged, according to the Oxford dictionary, means ‘with rough, sharp points protruding’ so I assume that ‘jag’ comes from the needle being a protruding sharp point.

I’ve never heard anyone being derided for using the term jag, though. It’s what everyone uses up here.

Meanwhile, my youngest used the word shoogle to her Londoner flatmate yesterday. Her flat mate looked at her in astonishment and said ‘What on earth are you talking about?’ grin

Alegrias1 Fri 24-Sep-21 09:19:29

BlueBelle

Bit pedantic I guess but why is a vaccination called a jag over the border I can understand a Jab as that’s what happening you get jabbed by a needle but a jag where does that come from?
This isn’t meant to be nasty just interested in the origin

Bluebelle jag is a widely used word in Scotland for an injection of any kind. Jaggy means sharp; jaggy thistles, jaggy broken glass.

Some people - and I definitely don't mean you - like to have a go at people who say jag. Much like people who have a go at Northern politicians with working class accents, I expect.

wildswan16 Fri 24-Sep-21 08:29:15

I'm glad people are getting their flu vaccinations, but am curious why everyone seems to be rushing to do it. I have always understood that it is better to wait until about November as that gives better coverage over the "likely" flu season.

I suppose it does help to spread the demand out over a longer period.

hereshoping Fri 24-Sep-21 08:19:05

We're booked to have our flu jabs next weekend at local racecourse where we had our covid jabs. Earlier flu booking was rescheduled due to supply problems. It all runs very efficiently at Ripon racecourse.

growstuff Fri 24-Sep-21 08:09:32

SpringyChicken

Last year, the surgery invited me (by text) to support them by having my flu jab at the surgery so it clearly does affect their funding.
I received my invite for this year’s jab about a month ago, again by text, and followed the link to book an appointment for tomorrow. Husband received his text at the same time, we have consecutive appointments.

Yes, it does affect their funding.

I was a little reluctant to have mine at my local pharmacy for that reason, but the GP doesn't know when doses will be arriving and I really dislike the cattle market atmosphere. They've been told to do flu and Covid boosters at the same time, so that would have meant waiting until mid November, which I wasn't willing to do.

SpringyChicken Fri 24-Sep-21 08:05:14

Last year, the surgery invited me (by text) to support them by having my flu jab at the surgery so it clearly does affect their funding.
I received my invite for this year’s jab about a month ago, again by text, and followed the link to book an appointment for tomorrow. Husband received his text at the same time, we have consecutive appointments.

BlueBelle Fri 24-Sep-21 07:08:44

Bit pedantic I guess but why is a vaccination called a jag over the border I can understand a Jab as that’s what happening you get jabbed by a needle but a jag where does that come from?
This isn’t meant to be nasty just interested in the origin

Aveline Fri 24-Sep-21 06:43:04

Alegrias my posts about the situation in Scotland are, I suppose, a way of venting. I feel really quite emotional about what's happening in the NHS that I worked in all my life. SueDonim's post is frankly frightening. I despair. sad

Harmonypuss Fri 24-Sep-21 00:11:26

Iused to work in the NHS and they would roll out staff vaccination late October to mid November. The informed us that the efficacy of the vaccine is approx 3 months, with the main 'flu season' being January-February, it's far better to have it later rather than in September.

I always wait until at least the end of October now.

Deedaa Thu 23-Sep-21 21:23:08

I tried to book a flu jab at our local pharmacy but they said they wouldn't have the over 65 one in till the middle of October. I had to ring the surgery for some test results so I asked them and was booked in for a flu jab on Saturday morning.

SueDonim Thu 23-Sep-21 21:16:11

Jags is the word used in Scotland for jabs. The cars are Jaguars. grin

rosie1959 Thu 23-Sep-21 21:10:46

maddyone

I hope I get a new jag when I report for my flu jab grin

No offense meant, it just made me smile.

That would be nice Maddyone my DH has a beautiful jag but he really could do with a F Pace now he is getting on a bit lol

maddyone Thu 23-Sep-21 21:02:39

I hope I get a new jag when I report for my flu jab grin

No offense meant, it just made me smile.

SueDonim Thu 23-Sep-21 18:33:45

Here is the latest info on flu jags in this area. It doesn’t exactly fill me with confidence that we’ll get a jag at all, given that it’ll be October next week. A pharmacy in my very small town has advertised that it’s going to be offering flu vacc this year. That’s never happened before, the nearest place has been Aberdeen itself. The pharmacy must be expecting to make a profit this year otherwise they wouldn’t be bothering.

On the state of the NHS in Scotland, one local community here is having to fund-raise to buy its own ambulance and run it with volunteer staff, because of the lack of service. One poor woman has died from lack of cover. My pregnant daughter has had phone appointments for her antenatal care. You can’t measure blood pressure, do urine tests or palpate the baby over the phone! She’s now been told that the maternity unit where she plans to have the baby could have short-notice closures and if that happens when she goes into labour, she’ll have to find a different hospital willing to take her. I fear for my daughter and her baby’s life, I really do. angry

janeyjane Thu 23-Sep-21 18:02:21

I work for a surgery & we have flu vaccines in our fridges. They have been given with COVID booster over the past couple of weekends but have also been offered at appts in the surgery.