Gransnet forums

Health

I’m going to be a bag lady! Help me please.

(35 Posts)
mrsmopp Fri 24-Sep-21 10:25:04

Had a cancer check up the other day and had the shock of my life. I’ve had several operations for gynae cancer but now it’s gone one stage further and I’ve got to be fitted with a stoma.
Please if there is a gransnetter who can give me some advice and encouragement I would be very grateful.
I don’t know anyone at all who has one. I’m a bit scared! It’s a big operation! Please reply!

mrsmopp Tue 02-Nov-21 21:09:03

harrigran

Another gran with a stoma here, feel free to PM if there are questions you would like answered.

You kindly offered advice when I posted about having a stoma. I hope it’s still ok to contact you. I don’t know anyone who has one and I’m getting nervous about the operation and afterwards. Time to come off the message boards for now.

pensionpat Tue 02-Nov-21 21:41:45

You have been given excellent advice from Franbern. My husband, for 17 years, has coped very well with with a urostomy and a colostomy. Initially he had wonderful support from Stoma nurses, even when at home. They told us that children cope with them, blind people had them and they quoted the Queen Mother and Cliff Richard had them. I wish you the best of luck.

BigBertha1 Tue 02-Nov-21 22:25:51

CatSkill I'm sorry that this has happened and that you are worried. I have nursed many patients who after the initial shock and worry manage well with a little help from storms nurses and support groups. Wonderful to read the support you are getting on here. Big hug for you.xx

BigBertha1 Tue 02-Nov-21 22:26:57

Not CatSkill where did that come from I meant MrsMopp..flipping auto correct.

WendyRaymond Mon 07-Feb-22 08:16:25

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

Grandmabatty Mon 07-Feb-22 08:20:00

Reported

MissAdventure Mon 07-Feb-22 08:25:22

Actually, I wonder how mrsmopp is doing?
I do hope she is ok.

Dibbydod Mon 07-Feb-22 09:41:29

My late partner was rushed into hospital with severe abdominal pain which turned out to be a mass infection in his colon , consequently he ended up having emergency operation with a stoma fitted . As much as he hated the thought of it , it did save his life . Once home and organised in the bathroom with everything he needed to hand ( everything needed comes in a bag ) , he coped pretty well with it . He also had lot of help & support from his Stoma Nurse at the hospital , she would also call to check on him from time to time to make sure he was coping well .
mrsmopp wishing you all the best with your operation and I’m sure all will be well . Keep us updated.?

Redhead56 Mon 07-Feb-22 10:54:36

mrsmopp hope everything goes well with your operation you have had some very supportive advice here?