Gransnet forums

Health

I’ve lost my sister

(69 Posts)
Smurf52 Mon 04-Oct-21 15:58:16

Two nights ago my younger sister passed away in her sleep aged 66. She had hypersensitivity pneumonitis, a lung condition. The likely cause was the sanding down of the original wood flooring of their Edwardian house many years ago. In those days they used formaldehyde and other substances to lay them.

Sadly she was refused a lung transplant due to her age. She was a very fit and vivacious person who did yoga etc and didn’t look her age (see pic taken last year before she had breathing difficulties and had to be on oxygen. She used to volunteer in South America to aid stranded turtles to get back to their natural habitat amongst other things.

I know they have to have a cut off age as there are children and younger people needing transplants but she wasn’t a little old lady near the end of her time, far from it. She had a lot more life to live. I wish they could have just seen her as a person and not her age. Excuse my rant but she was a dearly loved sister.

chickkygran Mon 04-Oct-21 20:10:42

May your dear sister rest in peace. So very sad. Such a beautiful photo, sending you my deepest sympathies x

Kalu Mon 04-Oct-21 20:15:58

What a dreadful heartbreak for you*Smurf*. How very cruel life can be. My sincere condolences. ?

Jeanio, my condolences to you also. ?

hollysteers Mon 04-Oct-21 20:40:35

What a sad time for you Smurf52 , your sister looks so youthful, a really lovely photograph.
Sending sincere condolences.

Doodledog Mon 04-Oct-21 20:45:59

I'm so sorry to hear this, Smurf52.

Please look after yourself at this awful time flowers

NotAGran55 Mon 04-Oct-21 21:20:16

So sad . A lovely picture of a beautiful lady. ?

Summerlove Mon 04-Oct-21 21:22:43

I’m so sorry for your loss

Urmstongran Mon 04-Oct-21 21:26:04

That was a poignant read Smurf. Your sister looked so full of vitality on that photo. It must be a hard loss for you to bear.
?
Thoughts with you too jeanio. x

BoadiceaJones Mon 04-Oct-21 21:27:43

So very sorry to hear of the loss of your beautiful sister. A tragedy, with so much life left to live. Kia kaha. x

nadateturbe Mon 04-Oct-21 21:34:33

Life is so cruel sometimes. So very sorry Smurf. flowers

annodomini Mon 04-Oct-21 22:26:28

Smurf, I share your desolation and know what it is to have lost a much loved sister. Two years ago my sister was taken by the dreadful Motor Neuron Disease, from which there is only one way out. I miss her sorely and time and again find myself thinking. 'I must tell D about that'. She lives in my memory from the day she lay in my 3-year-old arms as a new-born baby, through our childhood, adolescence and motherhood. I'm so sorry that you too are having to go through this bereavement. flowers

Oopsadaisy1 Mon 04-Oct-21 22:29:57

So sorry at your news smurf so cruel to have such a low cut off date.
She looks lovely in your photo.

Oopsadaisy1 Mon 04-Oct-21 22:30:21

Sorry age not date.

Luckygirl Mon 04-Oct-21 22:30:22

I too send condolences - a sad loss. flowers

CafeAuLait Mon 04-Oct-21 22:32:11

I'm so sorry for your loss. flowers

V3ra Mon 04-Oct-21 23:11:02

So sad. I still have my sister but am truly sorry for all who have lost theirs.
RIP to every one of them ?

grannyactivist Tue 05-Oct-21 00:29:08

Smurf, my condolences to you. ?

I too have lost a sister who was vivacious and beautiful. I always thought she would be living it up until she was in her very old age, but she died almost two years ago and occasionally grief still sweeps through me. She would have been seventy this year and I think of her often.

Smurf52 Tue 05-Oct-21 13:05:25

Thank you everybody for your kind words. My heart goes out to those on here who too have lost sisters. thanks

Redhead56 Tue 05-Oct-21 15:52:33

So very sorry you have lost your lovely sister hold onto the beautiful memories you have?