Gransnet forums

Health

Breast cancer anxiety; enlarged lymph glands

(104 Posts)
MissMarpleknows Tue 12-Oct-21 17:30:41

Hello all,
Although I’m a long time lurker, I haven’t initiated a topic before. I’m in some distress having been for my breast screen recall today. I’m wondering if anyone out there can give me some more positive thoughts than the ones I currently have.
It looks as though there’s a problem in my left breast (I had breast cancer in it 16 years ago …. all sorted, lumpectomy & radio therapy) but this time there’s an enlarged lymph gland.
I’m guessing that any treatment would probably involve chemotherapy because of this. I’m 75 years old. I’m worrying that my age might mean that chemotherapy will be unsuitable; the fact that it’s my second cancer in the same breast indicates something I’m unaware of; or perhaps I might not qualify for some treatment because of my age. Actually, I’m worried about the whole situation. Are there any survivors or friends of survivors amongst you whose stories might give me some hope? Thank you so much in advance.

Forsythia Tue 07-Dec-21 20:29:34

I’m so glad to hear your update Miss Marple. I hope you make a good recovery and wish you all the very best from a fellow patient ?

MissAdventure Tue 07-Dec-21 21:02:07

All the very best to you.
smile
Let yourself be spoilt for as long as you can get away with it

Grannmarie Tue 07-Dec-21 21:16:58

Wishing you well, MissM, it's great that you're through your surgery and back home so quickly. flowers

SachaMac Tue 07-Dec-21 21:29:27

Pleased to hear are back home, wishing you all the best, take care.

Calistemon Tue 07-Dec-21 22:18:51

Wishing you all the very best MissMarple

flowers

hulahoop Tue 07-Dec-21 23:19:02

Lovely to hear from you I'm glad all went well keep up them exercises they do help .Take it gently x

sukie Tue 07-Dec-21 23:43:01

So very good to hear you're home MissMarple, sending best wishes for your recovery.

Jurrasic Wed 08-Dec-21 10:57:01

Fabulous news missmarpleknows and thanks to you and hulahoop for your messages prior to my surgery yesterday.
Like you, mine went smoothly with radioactive injection and wire insertion late morning then straight up to day surgery unit. In theatre around 2.30 and woke up in recovery at 4. Back home by 7 eating tea and toast and just back this morning from a lovely leisurely dog walk before resting for rest of the day. Saw surgeon afterwards who said all appeared straightforward, believes all BC removed and able to identify sentinel node easily.
I was greyblue and peeing green after the dye was injected ( I was forewarned! ) which was funny but that's gone now so my supporting role in the next avatar movie is sadly now not likely smile
Much love xx

sukie Wed 08-Dec-21 13:13:41

So happy to hear you have this behind you Jurrasic and that all went well.

hulahoop Thu 09-Dec-21 03:07:52

Glad to hear your surgery went well and you are home be kind to yourself and take it easy x

hulahoop Tue 21-Dec-21 23:01:42

My turn tomorrow afternoon they have said I will be in at least overnight hope it's no longer ? Dd is not well she has had covi d test ,luckily I isolated so haven't seen anyone for a week.Worrying about her now she has two young children and normally would help her at a distance but it can't be helped roll on New year !!

Calistemon Tue 21-Dec-21 23:07:26

Best of luck everyone, hope all goes well.

Nannagarra Tue 21-Dec-21 23:34:41

Best of luck for tomorrow hulahoop. I’ll be thinking of you. Sending you a very gentle hug.

muse Wed 22-Dec-21 00:28:03

Jurrasic Pleased it all went well. Sorry you missed out of the starring role in the next Avatar film?

Thinking of you on Wednesday hulahoop.

Glad it all went well MissMarple and that you have your daughter there with you. I've read all the supportive comments since you posted on 12 October.?I will keep popping back to see how you and others are. Have a calm Christmas and I hope 2022 is a positive one for you, hulahoop and everyone undergoing tests and operations over this Christmas period.

Nannagarra Wed 22-Dec-21 07:21:38

Sending hugs for hulahoop, Jurrasic and MissMarpleknows - such brave ladies.

This thread is GN at its very best.

Curlywhirly Wed 22-Dec-21 08:30:42

Nannagarra

Seconded by me too; GN at it's best. thanks

Oopsadaisy1 Wed 22-Dec-21 08:38:37

Curlywhirly

Nannagarra

Seconded by me too; GN at it's best. thanks

I also send hugs, GN at its best.

And the NHS, well done for spotting the problem and sorting it so quickly, where would we be without it?

dragonfly46 Wed 22-Dec-21 09:21:17

Pleased your surgery went well Jurassic and Missmarpleknows.
Wishing you well for today Hulahoop. I hope your DD is okay too.

I have just had my third annual mammogram on my remaining breast and it was clear. It is always a relief.

I hope you all have a lovely Christmas.

MissMarpleknows Wed 22-Dec-21 15:47:26

It’s been the day for my review with the breast surgeon today. The surgeon reported that two very small tumours were discovered following my op. I’m to be referred to an oncologist who will see me in the new year to discuss with me follow up chemotherapy. I’m hoping that it may be in tablet form (if that’s appropriate for me) as it will lessen the need for hospital visits in these coronavirus times.
Wondering if any of you have had chemotherapy treatment in your 70’s? If so, have you any information or advice?
Just off to message both Jurrasic & Hulahoop ….. it’s a big day for them too! As always, I’m so grateful for all the support and friendship on this site, many, many thanks. ???

hulahoop Wed 22-Dec-21 20:21:08

Hi update I am now back on ward drains both sides sides more pain than last time but it's over will update more tomorrow bless you all for your good wishes it means a lotxx

Oopsadaisy1 Wed 22-Dec-21 21:59:51

Hope you have a good night hulahoop

Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day.

Hetty58 Thu 23-Dec-21 00:51:58

My daughter recently had the Moderna booster jab and felt quite unwell, with enlarged lymph nodes in her breasts and underarms. She's feeling better, but still, they're enlarged.

It's so sad that, after cancer, any lumps/bumps are assumed to be a relapse, when otherwise a reaction or infection would be expected.

dragonfly46 Thu 23-Dec-21 01:05:37

MissMarple I am 75 and had chemo 2 years ago. I had 7 sessions three weeks apart. I was okay for the first 4 but the last 3 were pretty brutal. My oncologist cancelled the last one due to Covid which I was relieved about. I recovered quite quickly once I stopped. I also had radiotherapy which I found a doddle.

PM me if you would like to know more. I am happy to talk about it.

Jaxjacky Thu 23-Dec-21 08:46:13

I hope you’ve had a reasonably comfortable night hulahoop and can get home today ?

hulahoop Thu 23-Dec-21 09:25:28

Been awake most of high but hopefully home today just had quick wash shower ? when home I am in with a lovely set of ladies mostly leg up staff are lovely and nothing is too much trouble .trouble with no boobs you can stomach from the top ?