Gransnet forums

Health

Breast cancer anxiety; enlarged lymph glands

(104 Posts)
MissMarpleknows Tue 12-Oct-21 17:30:41

Hello all,
Although I’m a long time lurker, I haven’t initiated a topic before. I’m in some distress having been for my breast screen recall today. I’m wondering if anyone out there can give me some more positive thoughts than the ones I currently have.
It looks as though there’s a problem in my left breast (I had breast cancer in it 16 years ago …. all sorted, lumpectomy & radio therapy) but this time there’s an enlarged lymph gland.
I’m guessing that any treatment would probably involve chemotherapy because of this. I’m 75 years old. I’m worrying that my age might mean that chemotherapy will be unsuitable; the fact that it’s my second cancer in the same breast indicates something I’m unaware of; or perhaps I might not qualify for some treatment because of my age. Actually, I’m worried about the whole situation. Are there any survivors or friends of survivors amongst you whose stories might give me some hope? Thank you so much in advance.

InnocentBystander Thu 23-Dec-21 11:57:21

It is vital that you try to avoid any form of infection during chemotherapy because it pretty well renders your immune system inoperative. No soft boiled eggs, no soft cheese, etc., even colds can be far worse when neutropaenic (low or no neutrofils). My wife was taken ill with neutropaenic sepsis when on chemo (docetaxel) and she had to be treated in a positive pressure isolation ward. She's well now but it was a worrying episode.

MissAdventure Thu 23-Dec-21 12:40:12

My girl was given a list of things to avoid eating or drinking, and it had some quite surprising items on it.

silverlining48 Thu 23-Dec-21 16:03:53

My dd was told to see the dentist prior to starting chemo.

Jurrasic Thu 23-Dec-21 17:08:59

Hello ladies. Just to update you I had my results appointment today and surgery successful with no nasty surprises. All as expected. Clear margins and no lymph spread. Will have radiotherapy in new year ( most likely 5 sessions) for recurrence risk reduction and then onto yearly screening with preventative medication for 5 years.
It's been a rollercoaster 8 weeks but feel fortunate that I have had such quick and good treatment. Big thanks to @hulahoop and @MissMarpleknows who have messaged and supported. I'm feeling exhausted and grateful
Christmas wishes to all xx

silverlining48 Fri 24-Dec-21 08:26:21

That’s very good news Jurassic. Have a very happy Christmas ? and all good wishes for the new year

dragonfly46 Fri 24-Dec-21 08:38:49

Great news Jurassic.

hulahoop Fri 24-Dec-21 15:22:45

That's great news Jurassic you can relax now for Xmas .I should get my results 7th but maybe later due to bank holidays .Can't wait to get drains out hopefully Monday told today maybe later due to staff shortages !!

hulahoop Tue 28-Dec-21 17:14:59

Update following up ,had drains out yesterday pain manageable .Still tired ,had partial shower today ,felt better but quite a fiasco. Hope all you kind ladies have had a good Christmas .x

Curlywhirly Tue 28-Dec-21 17:55:12

Glad to hear that you have had your drains out and you are not in too much pain. Fingers crossed for when you get your results. Wishing you all the best for 2022. X

hulahoop Fri 31-Dec-21 23:13:02

Love and best wishes for 2022 to you all x

MissAdventure Fri 31-Dec-21 23:20:51

And to you, too.
Here's to a healthy new year for you all flowers

MissMarpleknows Fri 07-Jan-22 10:08:40

Greetings to you all, & very best wishes for a healthy and happy 2022! An update on my progress since my last post. It’s been a rocky road since I discovered that I’d had two small tumours in the affected breast. Even though they’d been removed with the mastectomy, the unexpectedness played on my mind & I was pretty fearful when I went to meet the oncologist. The upshot is that, as both tumours were hormone driven, I’ll be taking hormone therapy tablets for the next 10 years. It’s not clear whether chemotherapy is indicated so there’s to be a further test to determine that. There was no panic stations and the treatment/s will be precautionary. How one’s imagination can cause torment. During difficult days, looking back over this thread & reading all your supportive posts, & keeping up privately with Jurrasic & Hulahoop have helped immensely!! Again, thank you all. Onwards and upwards now. ?

Visgir1 Fri 07-Jan-22 10:11:04

That's fabulous news. Keep safe. flowers

Dottygran59 Fri 07-Jan-22 10:31:39

Oh what wonderful news MM - such a positive and uplifting post - thanks for updating us, you two too, Jurassic and HH - it's so reassuring to know that if the dreaded BC visits us that the outcome need not necessarily be the stuff of nightmares.

Happy New Year to ALL THE GRANS

Jurrasic Fri 07-Jan-22 11:17:10

Hi all and Missmarpleknows
I have now had my radiotherapy planning appointment come through for 17th Jan with 5 sessions starting 1-2 weeks later. I also have had my end of treatment appointment come through for 7th March and have started on my 5 year medication which is OK so far. I'm feeling very well.
Agree with Missmarpleknows..I reread this and my other thread a couple of times when feeling down and all the positive stories really help refocus your perspective. As Missmarpleknows says..your mind wanders to all sort of dark places at times and these posts help bring that back
Much love xx

Curlywhirly Fri 07-Jan-22 13:43:49

So glad to hear that this site is helping those with medical worries - it certainly helps to speak to people who have been through the same thing, they can reassure you and help you to be positive. Here's hoping that all goes well for you MissMarpleknows and Jurassic. thanks

hulahoop Fri 07-Jan-22 22:25:02

Hi update I went for dressing removal today ,unfortunately test results are not in yet.My left side is sore and swollen ,Dr aspirated some fluid off ,may need some more aspiration next week when I go for results ,rt side seems ok .I don't know if I have to have further treatment I am taking hormone blockers for 5 yrs thanks for all your good wishes and pm s ..a special thank you to Jurassic and miss M stay safe everyone x

MissAdventure Fri 07-Jan-22 22:28:41

I salute your stoicism, hulahoop.
flowers
Very best wishes to you all.

Curlywhirly Fri 07-Jan-22 22:34:04

Fingers crossed for you Hulahoop thanks

Jurrasic Sat 08-Jan-22 10:59:04

You are very welcome hulahoop and thank you for all your support.. I have really appreciated it. Rest up now and give yourself time to heal. Next week will come and you will feel better once the results are in and you have some confirmed facts to deal with.
Much love always xx

hulahoop Sat 15-Jan-22 04:28:21

Update results good despite them finding a second lump both hormone driven ,no node involment so 5yrs tablets ,to have bone scan,I'm so relieved no chemo this time ,thank you all for all your support and good wishes it means a lot x

Jurrasic Sat 15-Jan-22 06:39:20

Great news Hulahoop..so pleased for you. Im nearly a month in on the same meds and ok so far. Got my 5 sessions of radiotherapy starting on 1st Feb and then I am onto yearly monitoring so hopefully getting back to the new normal xx

Curlywhirly Sat 15-Jan-22 09:02:43

Good news Hulahoop thanks

Pammie1 Tue 18-Jan-22 17:35:39

MissMarpleknows

Hello again dear friends,
I’ve been for my diagnosis following last week’s biopsy etc.
The cancer in my breast was confirmed today (stage 2) but there was no evidence of cancer in the lymph nodes. My next appointment with the breast surgeon is in 3 weeks when we’ll be discussing a suitable date for a mastectomy. That will probably be before the end of November.

Mixed emotions today, predominately gratitude, to all of you for your kindness to a complete stranger; and also to a system here that has identified my problem and is dealing with it promptly. Again, heartfelt thanks to you all.

Just wanted to let you know that my mum, who is now 91 has had breast cancer three times and she’s still here and cancer free. She had a lumpectomy and radiotherapy at age 59 and another at 65 - this was a couple of years after finishing tamoxifen treatment. She noticed enlarged glands just before her 70th birthday and had a similar diagnosis to yourself, stage 2 with no involvement of lymph nodes. She had a mastectomy within a few weeks followed by drug therapy and has been cancer free ever since. My fingers are crossed for you that all goes as well for you as it did for mum.?

MissMarpleknows Tue 18-Jan-22 17:52:14

Thank you so much Pammie; your mum’s history is amazing. I’m very glad to know that she is 91 and cancer free. To my knowledge, there are three Gransnetters currently dealing with breast cancer surgery and follow up treatment. Stories like your mum’s buoy us all up & give us hope - especially when the going seems tough. It’s so kind of you to take time to post with a really uplifting message like hers. Many many thanks to you and the other wonderfully supportive posters who are helping us on this journey. ❤️