Gransnet forums

Health

I have a face to face doctors appointment finally ????

(29 Posts)
joannapiano Thu 14-Oct-21 17:58:10

DH has advanced cancer and hasn’t seen a doctor, face to face, (GP or Consultant), since March of last year. A GP phoned once, last year, to see how he was doing. He finds it difficult to use the phone as he has hearing loss, so I generally have to take the call.

NotTooOld Thu 14-Oct-21 17:02:15

Well done, Sago. Perseverance paid of. Not right, though, is it?
Two GPs were interviewed on the Today prog this morning. They both said how hard they and their colleagues work and went on about the general abuse they receive at their respective surgeries. They said the extra money they are to get from the NHS is a drop in the ocean and will not improve the situation and it is almost impossible to recruit locums as there are not enough of them. Eventually the interviewer asked the question I was dying to ask myself - why is it so much harder to get a face to face appointment now than it was pre-Covid? Unfortunately no real answer was forthcoming.

NfkDumpling Thu 14-Oct-21 16:55:53

Congratulations!! You have won the lottery!!

(I understand my doctor retired a year ago and I have no idea what my doctor looks like or whether its a he or she as the name doesn't give any clues!)

Sago Thu 14-Oct-21 16:48:19

I have had a suspicious mole on my hand for 10 months, high cholesterol but no prescription, kidney and thyroid function tests 18 months overdue.

I had a 1 minute call with my GP in April she requested pictures of the mole and sent a link, in my NHS app she had put this as a face to face appointment at the surgery!

In desperation yesterday I wrote and hand delivered a letter stating my concerns as calling the surgery is impossible and staff won’t speak via the intercom due to GDPR.

I received a phone call today to book in the bloods and a face to face appointment in 3 weeks.

I feel as though I have won the lottery.