Gransnet forums

Health

Bureaucratic nonsense

(266 Posts)
Luckygirl Tue 26-Oct-21 10:19:38

I am usually fairly even-tempered, but the one thing that really pulls my chain is bureaucratic nonsense.

I am trying to book my booster jab because I will be going away for a few days next month and want to have it and give it time to take effect before then as I will be on crowded trains and in concert halls.

So .... I try and book it via website which tells me to ring 119, which I do. I pass the hurdles of pressing 1,2 or 3 several times and get through eventually to a human being who says I am not eligible because it is not 6 months and a week since my second jab. I explain that it is 30 weeks and she says that it needs to be 6 months. After I spend several minutes trying to explain that this is more than 6 months and a week, I eventually conclude that she is talking in calendar months, which makes no medical sense - but, hey, who am I to argue?

Fine - so that will be this Thursday and she tells me to ring then to make and appointment. I ask her if she could simply give me an appointment for Friday or after, since I am on the phone - and she says she cannot do this - I have to ring on Thursday.

How very bonkers is that?

On the one hand we have the government urging us to come forward for the booster, and on the other we have these barmy rules. Grrrrr.

B9exchange Tue 26-Oct-21 12:19:32

We are talking NHS technology, and anyone with a memory will know that the NHS throws billions of £s on IT from consultancy companies leading to incredibly expensive failures (NPfIT anyone?)

I understand where Luckygirl is coming from. If we are trusting in artificial intelligence to diagnose our diseases, (such as BabylonHealth so loved by Matt Hancock), then it shouldn't be beyond the powers of reason for a simple algorithm to work out from your NHS records the date of your last Covid jab, add on 6 months (don't recall any reason being give by TPTB for an extra week) and offer an appointment beyond that date at a centre close by.

As I recall, when I had my first jab, the second was booked immediately afterwards, but that was done manually by the helpful lady sitting in front of the computer!

So I don't thing Luckygirl deserves the flak some of you are giving her.

Petera Tue 26-Oct-21 12:19:55

Luckygirl

I am NOT asking for special treatment. I am simply asking to be able to book speedily and efficiently in order to protect myself and others.

My wish to be able to book as soon as possible after the agreed eligibility date is simply common sense and for the good of all.

I don't understand the numbers here (and trust me I'm quite good with numbers) so forgive me if I get it wrong. But the gov.uk website says you are eligible to try to book if you had it 6 months and one week ago.

"If you have not received an invite but it's been 6 months and 1 week (190 days) since your 2nd dose, you can try to book your appointment online without an invite."

Casdon Tue 26-Oct-21 12:23:08

I’m confused, because at 30 weeks post second dose Luckygirl is 3 weeks after the date she should have received her second dose. By any calculation 6 months is 26 weeks surely, it’s manipulating the figures to be told she isn’t eligible?

Alegrias1 Tue 26-Oct-21 12:34:22

I'm going to cook lunch before I post something I shouldn't.

But first...the NHS website is explicit in talking about " at least six months ". "You will be invited to book", it says. It doesn't say "call us up and see if we can fit you in earlier because you want to go on holiday".

So, we could get up in arms about it and angry because its more than 6 months, or we could appreciate that this is a huge undertaking and they will got round to us all, and that going on holiday isn't a reason to want your booster quicker.

www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/coronavirus-vaccination/coronavirus-booster-vaccine/

dragonfly46 Tue 26-Oct-21 12:41:10

In our area they are doing walk-in clinics for the Booster. You can go as soon as you are eligible

lemongrove Tue 26-Oct-21 12:42:28

I agree Alegrias
It may be annoying Luckygirl but you have to wait until the exact time has arrived, and cannot book ahead of time, that’s how the system has been set up to work, therefore it is working efficiently.

Baggs Tue 26-Oct-21 12:52:49

At work (where it matters for other people if we are vaccinated against covid) I was given number to ring to book my booster jab. I rang it, though not for a few days, got straight through to a human, booked an appointment and had the jab just short of 29 weeks after my second.

I had no idea I had "queue jumped" until just now when I counted the weeks. Had a flu jab at the same time. Some of my colleagues had their booster less than 28 weeks after their second innoculation. I doubt they noticed that either. Like me they just used the phone number they were given and got on with it.

So, it would seem lucky is right and either silly bureaucracy or a not very flexible bookings person, or both, have been the cause of her frustration.

Deedaa Tue 26-Oct-21 12:54:11

I was thinking that my 6 months must be up when I got a text telling me I could now book the booster. Clicked on the link and was given a choice of locations, dates and times. Took about two minutes to book.

Namsnanny Tue 26-Oct-21 12:55:11

Alegrias1

Sorry, but what I think is barmy is somebody who thinks they should move up the queue because they have a concert to go to.

First world problems.

Just your opinion.

Baggs Tue 26-Oct-21 12:55:55

It could be, of course, that the health authority where I live is so Scheisse that it was bureaucratic idiocy that made us get our jabs too soon and We're All Doomed!

Anyway, lucky, I sympathise.

lemongrove Tue 26-Oct-21 12:57:21

You are in Scotland Baggs so maybe a different set of criteria
Than England?
Also may depend on local health authority areas.Certainly in mine we had to wait for the exact time to the day, and then were immediately offered a time slot.

Alegrias1 Tue 26-Oct-21 12:57:21

In Scotland? Working in healthcare or similar (guess)?

Apples and oranges.

Just my opinion, of course.

Casdon Tue 26-Oct-21 12:57:27

So, to get it clear in my simple mind at least…

This is what it says in a bright yellow box on the covid booster booking page on the NHS website:
‘Important
If you have not been contacted and it's been 6 months and 1 week (190 days) since your 2nd dose, please try to book your appointment using this service.’
6 months is 182.5 days, and the 190 days must be up for you this Thursday Luckygirl if I have understood correctly?

If that is the case and you book on Thursday you should be able to get your vaccination before you go on holiday next month when it will be 30 weeks after your second dose. You can’t be accused of queue jumping if you do that. I can understand you wanting to get it sorted before you go on holiday, I would too.

Baggs Tue 26-Oct-21 13:01:37

lemongrove

You are in Scotland Baggs so maybe a different set of criteria
Than England?
Also may depend on local health authority areas.Certainly in mine we had to wait for the exact time to the day, and then were immediately offered a time slot.

Clearly, it's not THAT critical though.

Perhaps it also depends on what flavour of jab one's getting. All mine have been Pfizer.

Aveline Tue 26-Oct-21 13:09:03

It certainly seems to vary up here. My friend was sent an appointment for 8am at a location literally miles from her and which would necessitate three changes of bus. She phoned the number given and was (eventually) told that it was the wrong number despite its being printed on the letter as the one to contact. The call centre lady did apologise and told my friend that she had lots of calls about this. I hope it's been sorted out.
Meanwhile, DH and I received our invitations for Covid booster and flu vaccinations on the same day, time and convenient venue. Obviously very variable around the country.

VioletSky Tue 26-Oct-21 13:26:49

A litt of these systems are bonkers.

2 positive cases in a 6 person house meant 12 12 long calls from test and trace...

I wanted to throw my phone out of the nearest window

H1954 Tue 26-Oct-21 13:27:58

Our local hospital is a Vaccination Hub and have recently made it known that they're accepting 'drop-ins'. Yesterday was our 186th day since our second jab. We called in, were met by a lovely polite receptionist who took our names, D.O.B. and agreed we could have the booster there and then.
There were people of all ages going through having first, second and booster jabs. Exceptionally well organised.
Whether we actually get notified by some administration department that we need to book our boosters remains to be seen.
We certainly don't feel that we've jumped any queues, simply used our intiative.

Poppyred Tue 26-Oct-21 13:32:20

Alegrias1

Enlightened? Enlightened?

God give me strength.....

Sounds as if you need some plus some MANNERS!

Alegrias1 Tue 26-Oct-21 13:35:43

Poppyred

Alegrias1

Enlightened? Enlightened?

God give me strength.....

Sounds as if you need some plus some MANNERS!

Saying that someone isn't enlightened because they are doing the job they've been told to do is good manners then is it?

They are real people following the requirements of their jobs, not automated bots there to do what you want them to do.

Galaxy Tue 26-Oct-21 13:36:16

But it was really rude of you to talk about NHS staff in that way who will only be able to work within the system they are given.

Galaxy Tue 26-Oct-21 13:37:25

Obviously Alegrias can stick up for herself grin

Alegrias1 Tue 26-Oct-21 13:40:33

Galaxy

Obviously Alegrias can stick up for herself grin

Support is always appreciated Galaxy grin

Elegran Tue 26-Oct-21 13:48:16

The girl answering the phone isn't very good at arithmetic. "If you have not been contacted and it's been 6 months and 1 week (190 days) since your 2nd dose, please try to book your appointment using this service.’ 6 months is 182.5 days, and the 190 days must be up." Since when has 190 days been less than 182.5 days? Luckygirl wasn't looking for an appointment before she was eligible - concert or no concert.

Petera Tue 26-Oct-21 13:52:24

Elegran

The girl answering the phone isn't very good at arithmetic. "If you have not been contacted and it's been 6 months and 1 week (190 days) since your 2nd dose, please try to book your appointment using this service.’ 6 months is 182.5 days, and the 190 days must be up." Since when has 190 days been less than 182.5 days? Luckygirl wasn't looking for an appointment before she was eligible - concert or no concert.

I think the OP needs to come back and actually clarify the numbers, she said herself that she would not be eligible until Thursday.

Alegrias1 Tue 26-Oct-21 13:59:33

The girl answering the phone isn't very good at arithmetic.

Let’s not blame the girl on the phone.

The girl on the phone is working with a system that allows people to book if they have been invited to book.
If you haven’t been invited to book, them’s the breaks.

Perhaps in the area in question many, many people are eligible because many, many people got their vaccinations very early at the start of the vaccine campaign. Maybe that area hasn’t opened up the booking for people who are 30 weeks past the second dose because there are still people who are much more overdue than that who need to be done first. Maybe some other areas are ahead of the game and have started drop in clinics. Maybe some people who work in priority areas are getting their boosters sooner than the rest of us. Maybe we should all stop feeling so entitled.

But yes, maybe the girl just isn’t very good at arithmetic.
p.s. no age is given for the girl on the phone. But let’s just assume she was a girl.