Gransnet forums

Health

Has anyone else got this ‘Supercold’?

(51 Posts)
Luckylegs Tue 26-Oct-21 14:01:03

I’m now in my second week of this. It’s not COVID definitely but it’s just settled on my chest as everything does. I’ve just coughed and coughed for 24 hours a day, sitting in a chair in the day staring out at the rain, feeling utterly dreadful and miserable. I’ve had all the muscular pains in my chest from the coughing but now I’ve got a sharp stabbing pain in the left side of my tummy when I cough and it really hurts!

I’m just really wondering if anyone else is suffering from this to the same extent? I cannot get to speak to the surgery at all, I know it’s only viral and they can’t do anything but I do feel a bit abandoned.

fairfraise Tue 26-Oct-21 14:12:36

I've had it and am just over it. I was coughing ferociously like I've never coughed before. Sleepless nights and feeling worn out the next day. Lasted three weeks and it was awful! I had sneezing and runny nose as well. First cold in 18 months.

lemsip Tue 26-Oct-21 14:12:38

I take it you've done a lateral flow test as you say it's 'definitely not covid'

dragonfly46 Tue 26-Oct-21 14:16:12

My DH has it. I took him to have a Covid test and it came back negative. It is a real stinker.

Eviebeanz Tue 26-Oct-21 14:27:49

I started off with exactly the same symptoms-did a test for covid last Monday which was negative tested again on Friday and it was positive.

Luckylegs Tue 26-Oct-21 14:42:33

No, I keep doing tests but it’s just my bad chest which is a magnet for any kind of cold. I can feel and hear crackling right down to the bottom of my lungs. It certainly is a real stinker. I don’t remember feeling so bad and low before. I thought two weeks might see the end of it but it looks as if it might last some time yet.

Whiff Tue 26-Oct-21 14:50:41

Lucklegs I would contact your GP the crackling could mean a chest infection. If it is you need antibiotics. Hope you feel better soon.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 26-Oct-21 14:50:42

I am at the end of it luckylegs finished antibiotics still on steroids as it agent to my chest.
GC have it, DD, Sons, DIL’s and now DH it is horrible, hopefully you will be on the mend soon

GrannyGravy13 Tue 26-Oct-21 14:51:19

*agent no
*chest shock

SueDonim Tue 26-Oct-21 17:24:15

Dh has had it, caught via youngest GD, we think. She was ill for two days, Dh for three weeks. He had quite a bad cough, although it didn’t go on his chest, was more in his throat. The nasal symptoms were bad, a runny nose for a week or more and then completely congested for another tens days. He had a dreadful headache, too, which has continued even though he’s over the rest of the cold.

He took a LF and a PCR and has since had a PCR for research purposes. All negative.

Kim19 Tue 26-Oct-21 19:03:10

I ended up with a small hernia on my vocal chords with all the coughing. Be very kind to your throat.

Luckylegs Tue 26-Oct-21 19:25:44

Thank you for your good wishes. I think I’m really going to have to brave the 8 am nightmare tomorrow and try and obtain some antibiotics! I tried last week and all I got was a message saying “this number is not accepting any calls”! Apparently, that’s when more than 20 people are trying to ring as there’s only 20 spaces on the line. It’s funny, I’ve always been number 18 on the list. I suffer from anxiety and just can’t bear the bunfight of trying to get through so I give up after trying 30/40 times as I know there’ll be no appointments left anyway but that doesn’t help when you feel as ill as I do at the moment.

SueDonim Tue 26-Oct-21 20:44:07

Hope you get through ok, Luckylegs.

Calmlocket Tue 26-Oct-21 21:11:07

www.thenationalnews.com/world/uk-news/2021/10/14/is-there-a-super-cold-in-the-uk-health-experts-spotlight-weakened-immune-systems/

Patsy70 Tue 26-Oct-21 21:55:01

I had the ‘flu jab on the morning of Saturday 9/10, and by that evening had a sore throat, which developed into a runny nose and cough which has lasted for two weeks. COVID tests have proved negative, so as far as I’m concerned, it’s the usual seasonal cold virus.

PaperMonster Tue 26-Oct-21 22:01:06

Day 27 of this for me today and tonight I’ve had my last AB for the accompanying chest infection. I am well and truly shattered by it.

Luckylegs Tue 26-Oct-21 22:56:36

You poor thing, PaperMonster. I can’t believe it’s lasted so long and I bet you can’t either. I really send my good wishes and hope that you better very soon xx

GagaJo Tue 26-Oct-21 23:33:21

DD, DGS and I have all had it. DD was quite ill. DGS coughed for weeks but was only ill for a couple of days. I was not too ill BUT it did drag on for ages. I almost lost my voice, but I'm prone to getting that.

Just as we've all recovered, DGS has developed another cough. Trip back to the covid drive-through it is.

vegansrock Wed 27-Oct-21 07:48:27

We caught a dreadful cold from GC who had it from nursery. He was ill for 5 days, we were coughing for 3 weeks. I eventually got antibiotics and it cleared up. My sister had it for 4 weeks and eventually got pneumonia, has been treated with strong antibiotics. She’s better now, but still getting exhausted every afternoon. Had all the covid tests all negative.

Juliet27 Wed 27-Oct-21 07:53:59

I remember at the very beginning of the pandemic, two years ago, we’d all been complaining about a cough that was lasting for weeks and weeks. It’s made a comeback by the sound of it.

Katie59 Wed 27-Oct-21 08:06:07

A couple of weeks ago there were many with this round of colds, most tested negative, some did test positive with exactly the same symptoms, they had all been vaccinated too. Just what is going on is a mystery, confusing for certain.

yggdrasil Wed 27-Oct-21 08:37:51

I have had it for a week and a half. I was glad to find I wsn't alone. It is better in the morning but I go downhill by the evening.

Iam64 Wed 27-Oct-21 08:39:59

I picked up a rotten cold from 2 year old grandson. I did 2 negative covid tests. A week later, my throat was very sore, I’d no voice at all and I knew I had a chest infection. I am immunosuppressed so knew I’d probably need antibiotics.
I was in Spain, it was Sunday. I saw the emergency doctor 5 mins after being booked into the walk in centre. 45 minute examination, she checked the prescription list I gave her. Prescribed 1000mg penicillin 3 times a day for 7 days, steroids, cough medicine, pain relief and re-placed one of the drugs I take routinely. No charge. The doctor wished me well and said return if I felt worse, or within 48 hours if I wasn’t beginning to feel better. She did a covid test, negative thankfully.
The pharmacist apologised I’d pay for the medication, €24 please.
What a positive experience and how different it could have been in England.

PaperMonster Wed 27-Oct-21 08:40:19

Thank you LuckyLegs am used to getting a cold each year working in education but this is the first year I’ve worked with primary aged children instead of teenagers. Coupled with also working one half day a week for a chain smoker, it’s knocked me out!!

FannyCornforth Wed 27-Oct-21 08:44:29

Hello LuckyLegs I really hope that you had joy with your GP surgery this morning. It certainly sounds as if you need antibiotics. I hope that you get better very soon