Gransnet forums

Health

Has anyone else got this ‘Supercold’?

(52 Posts)
Luckylegs Tue 26-Oct-21 14:01:03

I’m now in my second week of this. It’s not COVID definitely but it’s just settled on my chest as everything does. I’ve just coughed and coughed for 24 hours a day, sitting in a chair in the day staring out at the rain, feeling utterly dreadful and miserable. I’ve had all the muscular pains in my chest from the coughing but now I’ve got a sharp stabbing pain in the left side of my tummy when I cough and it really hurts!

I’m just really wondering if anyone else is suffering from this to the same extent? I cannot get to speak to the surgery at all, I know it’s only viral and they can’t do anything but I do feel a bit abandoned.

glammanana Wed 27-Oct-21 08:56:09

Oh how awful for everyone I have had this for the past week and feel dreadful,coughing all day and feel so weak
I had been fine until I had my flu jab and 2 days later came down with this I had no reaction after my 2 x Covid jabs
I am on my 3rd day of antibiotics & steroids and have been told that I have to wait until I have taken the meds as they could give a false neg/pos result which I was not aware of of.
Hoping everyone feels better soon its a horrible infection .

ElderlyPerson Wed 27-Oct-21 09:00:32

Kim19

I ended up with a small hernia on my vocal chords with all the coughing. Be very kind to your throat.

What happens then please?

Does it need treatment?

honeyrose Wed 27-Oct-21 09:19:36

Yes good luck with getting a GP appointment. I hung onto the phone from exactly 8.00am for almost an hour 2 weeks ago and then was told there were no appointments left. I said I must at least speak to someone that day as I was having a general anaesthetic for a gynaecologist procedure 4 days later. The receptionist made an appointment for me at a local urgent care centre (which used to be a walk in centre BC - before COVID). This was for s sore throat (which, incidentally, I still have after almost 2 weeks). Also. could
you try calling 111 if no joy with your GP surgery? I did that last Sunday and was given an appointment at the same urgent care centre (had to wait 4 hours before 111 called me back though). Get very soon Luckylegs, I do emphasise with you. flowers

Oopsadaisy1 Wed 27-Oct-21 09:36:24

We caught this over 2 weeks ago and it still hasn’t gone away, still muzzy headed, still coughing, still feel exhausted.
I had an Asthma Exacerbation during the first week and went onto Steroids and Antibiotics, so I was full of energy for 5 days, now I’m back to being exhausted. Mr Oops isn’t any better, poor thing hasn’t been ill enough to go to the Drs, so we are just moping about trying to get fresh air each day and convince ourselves that it will soon be over.
All Lateral Flow tests have been negative, but apart from loss of taste and smell we appear to have had all the symptoms of Covid. We caught ours after a weekend away with friends (all double jabbed and all took a lateral flow test before going away)

Whiff Wed 27-Oct-21 10:27:20

LuckyLegs can you do an E consult on your GPs website also think you can do it via NHS app but not sure. But I have done E consult via my GP s website and they phoned me back and sent a prescription to my nominated pharmacy for the antibiotics I needed.

Hope you get help very soon.

Kim19 Wed 27-Oct-21 12:56:15

Yes, I had immediate remedial medication but I still have an 'awareness'

Iam64 Wed 27-Oct-21 14:19:10

Lucky sorry I should have added - sounds like you need antibiotics. Good luck

FannyCornforth Fri 29-Oct-21 10:47:12

Hi LuckyLegs, how are you getting on? Have you been in contact with your GP?
Hope that you’re alright thanksbrew

Luckylegs Fri 29-Oct-21 11:15:30

Sorry not to have replied and how kind of you to think about me. I think I’ve been in a kind of delirium as I don’t know what I’ve been doing half the time, just coughing until I was nearly sick! I was so lucky, a GP rang about some blood results and could hear me coughing and rattling away so prescribed some Doxycycline which is strong but upsets your tummy. (Don’t I sound like a real moaning minny? You can sympathise with my poor H). I asked her how she thought it was a chest infection when it’s supposed to be viral but she said it’s a fine line and I suppose they’ve got to speak to you to find that out!

I’m definitely a bit better in that the stabbing pain has gone but I’m still coughing away which I gather lots of people are for weeks more! By the way, our surgery doesn’t do anything like Econsult, I wish they did, it would be so much better. The one bright spot on my horizon is that we are flying to Portugal next Tuesday (if I can stir myself to get the packing done) and hopefully I’ll recover nicely there. Hope everyone gets over this dreadful ‘cold’.

greenlady102 Fri 29-Oct-21 11:18:23

A similar thing went around here around 4 years ago. Absolutely horrible.

Jaxjacky Fri 29-Oct-21 11:28:01

Better news Luckylegs I’m sure the antibiotics will do their job, have a smashing holiday ??

glammagran Fri 29-Oct-21 18:12:52

Just about everyone in the family has had this cold. My son whom I haven’t seen for a few weeks had it and last week tested Covid positive but says for him, the cold was far worse. DH and I have been coughing for 6 weeks now but actually I only had very vague cold symptoms for a couple of days (unlike everyone else). The cough goes for 3 days and then returns for another 4 days and so on. We don’t cough once we’ve gone to bed though. We’ve been doing a lot of lft’s but tests are always negative. It’s very tiring coughing all afternoon and evening.

dragonfly46 Fri 29-Oct-21 18:18:24

I have just started this cold. I went for a Covid test which was negative. Just hoping it doesn’t hang about.

Redhead56 Fri 29-Oct-21 18:35:54

Our granddaughters were sent home from school and parents were told to get them tested. All clear from covid but they have terrible coughing colds and we have caught it too.
No doctors appointments here still very restricted and definitely no antibiotics from our surgery. We just have to get on with it with extremely sore ribs.

welbeck Fri 29-Oct-21 18:48:16

this is interesting. same here, crackling cough etc. easing now after about 10 days.
i found a bottle of boots day cold/flu relief solution, seemed to help. i only took a third measure of the rec dose. did help.
and i went to bed with a night nurse a few times until they ran out.
can you get something like this to ease the symptoms, and aid sleep.

welbeck Fri 29-Oct-21 18:50:19

as i read back what i wrote i have an image of flapping cloaks disappearing into the night on sensible shoes.

surfsup Fri 29-Oct-21 18:59:32

It is definitely something going round. I know several people with it and it just won’t go. Needless to say I’m giving them a wide berth. It’s not COVID.

Witzend Fri 29-Oct-21 19:05:38

We’ve had it - dh is still coughing a lot - caught from Gdcs. The youngest, 22 months, ended up in hospital for one night, but fine again now.

PaperMonster Fri 29-Oct-21 20:04:51

LuckyLegs enjoy Portugal!

Still with me here, although the cough’s only started this evening- been ok most of the day other than the snot!!

Newquay Fri 29-Oct-21 23:42:00

DH had this too-after about 3weeks and several negative lateral flow tests I insisted he went for a PCR test-negative!
It’s now just about gone!
I would have suggested 111 too!

Luckylegs Sat 30-Oct-21 14:53:07

I did think about ringing 111 but I believe they are very busy too. Who isn’t? I’ve been coughing 24 hours a day for three weeks now, that’s why I’m so exhausted! The antibiotics are improving my chest but I’m weary. Thanks for your good wishes and I send warm wishes back to you all who are suffering with this dreadful thing.

Whiff Sat 30-Oct-21 16:09:06

LuckyLegs glad the antibiotics are helping. Have a wonderful holiday and come back a new woman.

Chestnut Sat 30-Oct-21 16:16:49

Keep testing. My friend had negative tests but eventually had one at the hospital and it was positive. By that time she had been poorly for 2 weeks and was nearly over it. Covid seems to be very good at hiding from these tests.

ElaineI Sat 30-Oct-21 18:38:20

Yes it's nasty. DH has had it for 2 weeks and now given it to me though I'm not as bad. Covid tests negative. He felt really poorly as his recent stroke affected his hearing anyway and now dizzy and hearing worse again. I've got ulcer on my tonsils - never had that before!

Luckylegs Tue 02-Nov-21 10:01:03

I took the last of my antibiotics yesterday and obviously I’m a little better but I’m still coughing quite badly and my chest is very tight to breathe. We are flying out today and it’s true, I’m hoping to come back a new woman! I’ve packed very half heartedly but I’ve taken facecreams, teeth whitening toothpaste etc so I will come back hopefully unrecognisable! I do hope I don’t give anyone this cold but I will be masked and covered up obviously. Hope anyone else suffering soon feels better.