Gransnet forums

Health

Shortage of flu jabs.

(39 Posts)
Framilode Thu 25-Nov-21 20:28:35

I had my flu jab yesterday because I am classed as vulnerable. Our GP's surgery said they had no vaccines and were not sure if any more would be delivered. They had just kept a few back for vulnerable patients.
My husband is 77 and has rung every chemist in our area North Oxfordshire. No one has any vaccines, apparently there is a problem with 'transportation'.
There is now a new covid variant causing concern. This and the lack of flu vaccine is worrying.
Is anyone else having trouble getting vaccinated?

Harmonypuss Fri 26-Nov-21 16:29:36

I won't have a 'problem", not a 'privilege', flipping predictive text and me to lazy to proofread before hitting 'posts.

kentmaid Fri 26-Nov-21 16:33:01

In October, I asked our GP surgery about flu jabs. “We don’t have any for the over 60s. MIGHT get some in November, but might not.”
I went home to check pharmacies. The one next door to the GP - they share the car park - told me “Yes, we have them. Do you want to come in today?”
I did. As I had my jab, I mentioned the GP surgery’s comment (they could have heard me had I raised my voice a little) and the pharmacist raised her eyebrows adding “It’s bonkers!"

Zaseret Fri 26-Nov-21 16:44:16

I had my flu jab at Boots in October. After reading this, I looked at their website and see that due to supply problems they are not making any further appointments in England for over 65s!

Paperbackwriter Fri 26-Nov-21 17:36:48

Lizzy60

I don't have it , I don't mix . I've never had actual flu to the best of my knowledge . I'm 60 & fit , will continue on through Winter as before . Avoid mixing in crowded places & shop online is best advice !

Oh Lizzy, you'd know if you'd had flu! I've had it twice and honestly thought I might die. Such a relief to get the flu jab. I recommend the pneumonia one as well. Right now, I'm looking to book for the shingles one as well. Just call me pin-cushion.

Mistyfluff8 Sat 27-Nov-21 05:49:58

Had my flu jab in Boots in Yeovil booked as soon as possible Our local doctors surgery does it in October .It takes care a couple of weeks to work

Framilode Sat 27-Nov-21 06:46:57

We are still having no joy trying to get a vaccine for my husband but the surgery have said they MAY have a delivery on 5th December.
We were away for 7 weeks when the jabs were first offered hence the difficulty now.

oodles Sat 27-Nov-21 09:08:06

Well I was in touch with the surgery yesterday and asked while I was asking about flu jabs, well they'd had a clinic yesterday and will be having another next friday. But I'd not been able to see that on the website. So now am booked in for next friday

Forsythia Sat 27-Nov-21 09:11:20

We both had ours in our local chemist shop at the beginning of October. At that time, Boots and all local independent chemists were offering them.

Daisymae Sat 27-Nov-21 09:52:39

I did book one in Boots then had a text from the GP surgery, they were running flu clinics so there was no shortage earlier here. The nurse asked if I would like the pneumonia one too so I am vaxxed up as much as possible, she was sitting there just waiting for me and I was early. guess there's an issue now as more people are motivated.

Sago Sat 27-Nov-21 09:55:31

We never wait for our GP surgery, as soon as they are available our local pharmacy puts a sign up and off we go.
It’s usually mid September.

GrammaH Sat 27-Nov-21 10:55:45

I had one last week at the same time as my covid booster. The staff were just asking everyone if they wanted one! I was on the list to have one at the GPS surgery so I'm eligible but I hadn't heard from them. I suppose people who aren't possibly said yes! Obviously no shortage of the vaccine here in Shropshire.

Rosalyn69 Sat 27-Nov-21 11:34:11

We had ours at the GP surgery. Just rang up and booked on a Saturday. It was like a conveyor belt. Worked really well. Well done to them - Swansea area.

HowVeryDareYou Sat 27-Nov-21 22:23:29

I had the 'flu jab a few weeks ago, and the Pneumonia one at the same time (I had Pneumonia earlier this year and was hospitalised)