Gransnet forums

Health

Londoners told to reduce physical activity on Friday due to pollution.

(75 Posts)
GagaJo Thu 13-Jan-22 20:27:41

Londoners told to reduce physical activity on Friday due to pollution. Government advises older people and those with lung or heart issues to avoid strenuous activity altogether

The government advised healthy people to reduce physical exertion outdoors, especially if they experience a cough or sore throat.

Londoners should avoid strenuous physical activity on Friday due to “very high” levels of pollution, experts have warned.

The poor air quality is the result of an intense area of high pressure covering western Europe. The associated lack of air movement means emissions from vehicles and other pollutants are not blown away as they usually would be.

The government’s forecast predicts pollution levels will hit band 10, the highest level on the scale. The last time pollution levels hit this mark was in March 2018.

Older people and those with lung or heart problems should avoid strenuous physical activity, the government’s official advice stated, while people with asthma may need to use inhalers more often.

www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/jan/13/londoners-told-to-reduce-physical-activity-on-friday-due-to-pollution

lemongrove Sat 15-Jan-22 13:59:53

Rosie51

China's record on human rights? China's record on treatment of the Uighur Muslims? But I bet they're brilliant on homosexual or transgender rights........... or maybe not. But they're brilliant......... on something......... I'm sure I'll remember in a minute or so.........

How long before this gets reported too?

GagaJo Sat 15-Jan-22 14:03:27

Message deleted by Gransnet. Quotes deleted post.

GagaJo Sat 15-Jan-22 14:04:53

And while I can see you have a removed post, it certainly wasn't me who reported it.

So it seems it isn't just me who you offend or are offensive to.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 15-Jan-22 14:05:30

lemongrove

Rosie51

Are we not allowed to post links any more? That was all that was in my deleted post, a link to an air quality site that showed most of China had much, much higher levels of air pollution than London.

It’s Gagajo.....now my post has been reported and deleted too.
In any thread about China this poster tries to get as many posts deleted ( that she thinks injurious to China) as possible.
All should be aware of this fact.
It’s been done to threads on China in the past, so much so that am seriously wondering if this poster is Christine Lee or somebody similar, paid by China.
This post will be deleted no doubt too and very soon.

What a very silly post.

Calistemon Sat 15-Jan-22 14:15:00

Mummer

Cannot understand why never had efficient park and ride for cars in capital? Are there any? And why does anyone need to actually drive around city centre anyway?! My BiL used to park near Sadler wells theatre but tbh it took longer to get in and out of u/g carpark than it would to hop an electric buzz-if they had any. Bring back the milkfloat! Always wanted to ride on one as a kid you could comfortably seat 8-10 office workers on each hop on hop off!

Mummer when we lived in Geater London we rarely went up to Central London by car; occasionally to take visitors sightseeing and a few other times with DC.

With public transport by train, bus and Tube so convenient there was no need.
That was one thing I found odd when moving there from the sticks - the nearer the railway station, the more expensive the houses until I realised; the opposite to towns in other locations.

LovelyLady Sat 15-Jan-22 14:19:59

I truly don’t understand why folk live in the capital with children. It’s expensive, unsafe and unhealthy yet some still want affordable homes for families. Best to leave London and live where is safe for children. If I loved my child then I’d definitely not live in an unsafe area. Just move!

Whitewavemark2 Sat 15-Jan-22 14:21:04

LovelyLady

I truly don’t understand why folk live in the capital with children. It’s expensive, unsafe and unhealthy yet some still want affordable homes for families. Best to leave London and live where is safe for children. If I loved my child then I’d definitely not live in an unsafe area. Just move!

And if you are poor and unskilled?

lemongrove Sat 15-Jan-22 14:23:18

GagaJo

And while I can see you have a removed post, it certainly wasn't me who reported it.

Of course it was you who reported....it always is on any thread about China.

lemongrove Sat 15-Jan-22 14:24:58

How can a graph showing Chinese pollution levels be deleted?!

Calistemon Sat 15-Jan-22 14:28:30

LovelyLady

Jobs?

Josieann Sat 15-Jan-22 15:00:26

LovelyLady

If it's where you've always lived you just accept it. London isn't that unsafe during the hours school children are travelling, the tubes and buses are busy so they aren't on their own. Buses are free for them too.
Families can't just move away when their work is in the capital, and that goes for both skilled and unskilled workers.

Calistemon Sat 15-Jan-22 15:10:59

LovelyLady

Where would you suggest all those who work in the capital should live?

Some people do travel from the Home Counties but it's a long and expensive journey.

vegansrock Sat 15-Jan-22 16:09:54

It would be better to do something about air quality than tell 8 million people in London to move - presumably they’d move all their cars to somewhere else- ridiculous suggestion. They should double the congestion charge for non essential vehicles. Well as long as China or somewhere else is worse it doesn’t matter according to some on here.

Calistemon Sat 15-Jan-22 16:11:43

The young people I know who live in London in essential jobs go to work by Tube or cycle.

Rosie51 Sat 15-Jan-22 16:26:37

Well as long as China or somewhere else is worse it doesn’t matter according to some on here.
I really don't think that's fair. Someone said at least our pollution hasn't reached China's levels and then GagaJo posted saying they were almost identical. She used a purpose built new city with green credentials against London at its worst. That was disingenuous at best and deliberately misleading at worst. That was challenged with evidence.

As someone who lives in London and hates how pollution is rising, I mind very much. I objected to Sadiq Khan's endorsement of the Silvertown crossing in an area already blighted by the volume of traffic going to the Blackwall tunnel. He criticises pollution then won't stop something that will make it even worse.

Carbonated Sat 15-Jan-22 17:30:12

Nicky7of7

What I don’t understand is why new cars seem to get bigger every year? Surely they use more raw materials to build them and require more energy to propel them . How is that saving our planet? Thinking back to when the Mini was first introduced it was quite adequate and by today’s standards it now looks tiny!

This! Why oh why are new cars so biiiig??? Absolutely no need for it especially if they seat 4/5. Ego, ego, ego.
Before I had children I used to ask people who claimed it protected their children more, why they thought their childrens health was was more important than other pooples children.confused
I still feel like this, and feel sad when I see people choose a massive new car when a reasonable, in proportion car would serve them just as well, if not better.

GagaJo Sat 15-Jan-22 17:36:15

lemongrove

GagaJo

Do not accuse me of lying. And do not start making public accusations towards me.

You are fairly frequently offensive to anyone with any kind of vaguely left wing values. I would be careful LG. If you accuse me again of being a troll or of lying, I will make a complaint to GNHQ. And I won't lie to you about it. I will tell you openly.

As I pointed out before, troll hunting is not allowed on GN. Be careful.

growstuff Sat 15-Jan-22 17:52:51

lemongrove

GagaJo

How are you so sure who reported you?

Riverwalk Sat 15-Jan-22 18:04:52

Lemon it's a bit mean to accuse someone of reporting - you can't possibly know who reports and who doesn't.

It could have been anyone - someone who hasn't even commented on this thread. Social media is a strange beast.

Gaga appears to be a very upfront poster and not one to shy away from declaring she's reported a post.

Calistemon Sat 15-Jan-22 18:32:03

Troll hunting is quite different to a poster wondering who has reported posts.

Perhaps that Chinese lawyer is on GN, watching out for any posts that may criticise China and getting them deleted.
Who knows - Gransnet being such a hotbed of intrigue, espionage and subterfuge.

GagaJo Sat 15-Jan-22 23:02:38

That is a very polite way of saying I've got a damn big mouth, that I shout off at the drop of a hat Riverwalk! True though.

This quote is accusing me of being someone working undercover Calistemon. It’s been done to threads on China in the past, so much so that am seriously wondering if this poster is Christine Lee or somebody similar, paid by China. I wish I was paid by China! I wouldn't have to work 7 days a week if I was.

nanna8 Sun 16-Jan-22 06:57:21

No- China watches everything, I thought everyone realised that by now. No differentiation whatsoever. They need to know what is going on for future plans.

Jannicans Sun 16-Jan-22 21:29:18

I live around the corner from a private school and I can't recall ever seeing children walk to or from school, they are mostly collected in giant size four wheel drives which all look sparkly and new. Kids don't even seem to catch buses anymore. Do kids all have feet issues preventing them from walking.

Mollygo Sun 16-Jan-22 22:58:12

Manchester did something about the pollution and there are protests because it has made some peoples’ jobs impossible. Money is supposed to be coming from the government to help people buy electric vehicles, (not a political point here) just a query about where will the money come from to supply that for all big cities, London included?