Gransnet forums

Health

Londoners told to reduce physical activity on Friday due to pollution.

(74 Posts)
GagaJo Thu 13-Jan-22 20:27:41

Londoners told to reduce physical activity on Friday due to pollution. Government advises older people and those with lung or heart issues to avoid strenuous activity altogether

The government advised healthy people to reduce physical exertion outdoors, especially if they experience a cough or sore throat.

Londoners should avoid strenuous physical activity on Friday due to “very high” levels of pollution, experts have warned.

The poor air quality is the result of an intense area of high pressure covering western Europe. The associated lack of air movement means emissions from vehicles and other pollutants are not blown away as they usually would be.

The government’s forecast predicts pollution levels will hit band 10, the highest level on the scale. The last time pollution levels hit this mark was in March 2018.

Older people and those with lung or heart problems should avoid strenuous physical activity, the government’s official advice stated, while people with asthma may need to use inhalers more often.

www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/jan/13/londoners-told-to-reduce-physical-activity-on-friday-due-to-pollution

MayBeMaw Thu 13-Jan-22 20:33:35

Don’t need to be asked twice!

lemongrove Thu 13-Jan-22 20:45:05

I don’t need to be asked twice either Maw...and I don’t even live in London.?
I will text a friend who does live there though and advise her to not run up and down Primrose Hill tomorrow.

lemongrove Thu 13-Jan-22 20:46:04

Btw...does that doggy ever get out of bed??

EllanVannin Thu 13-Jan-22 20:46:06

As I'd said a couple of days ago--pollution kills more people than a pandemic.

Riverwalk Thu 13-Jan-22 20:52:39

Might be better if they banned cars for the day.

GagaJo Thu 13-Jan-22 20:55:21

In China when this happens, they shut the factories and ban cars.

lemongrove Thu 13-Jan-22 20:57:39

Today’s pollution levels in London are nothing like the ones in China! Thank goodness.

GagaJo Thu 13-Jan-22 21:49:57

lemongrove

Today’s pollution levels in London are nothing like the ones in China! Thank goodness.

Actually, at the moment, they are almost identical.

Josieann Thu 13-Jan-22 22:28:35

Nevermind older people, they should also mention younger children whose developing lungs are often damaged by pollution in the capital.

Rosie51 Thu 13-Jan-22 22:41:02

GagaJo

lemongrove

It would seem much of China exceeds London levels.

www.iqair.com/china

Calistemon Thu 13-Jan-22 23:16:27

GagaJo

lemongrove

Bejing was 152 an hour ago, sorry I can't copy the chart.

You would have to compare capital with capital to show a better comparison.

MayBeMaw Thu 13-Jan-22 23:18:22

lemongrove

Btw...does that doggy ever get out of bed??

Occasionally- to move over to a sofa.
Any fule kno that greyhounds need at least 35 hours sleep a day grin

Calistemon Thu 13-Jan-22 23:24:09

Fengxian Nanao is a new and up-to-date city.

"Open and green space is integrated throughout the Fengpu Avenue master plan, including forest-parks, community activity spaces, waterfront corridors and green walkways. Greenery is also embedded throughout the avenue itself, enhancing quality of life, fostering the adjacent community and creating a seamless connection between the two sides of the avenue."

It sounds like an ideal blueprint for building new towns.

Unfortunately we can't demolish and redesign all the old cities.

GagaJo Thu 13-Jan-22 23:28:38

Calistemon

GagaJo

lemongrove

Really? Population of SH, 25m. Population of Ldn, 8/9m.

Beijing 97 right now.

The UK isn't as clean as we think.

Calistemon Thu 13-Jan-22 23:34:00

I didn't say it was clean! We have a lot to do here to improve matters.

I know you've worked in China but it doesn't mean others of us are totally ignorant about China. DD's friends are from there, some our friends DC work there in various areas and at least one lot moved on from there to work in another country simply because of the constant smog and pollution.

Calistemon Thu 13-Jan-22 23:35:43

Beijing 97 right now.

Because a lot of people are asleep, not driving.

Calistemon Thu 13-Jan-22 23:38:32

GagaJo

Calistemon

GagaJo

lemongrove

Really? Population of SH, 25m. Population of Ldn, 8/9m.

Beijing 97 right now.

The UK isn't as clean as we think.

97?

That's odd, we must be looking at different charts.
aqicn.org/city/beijing/tongzhoudongguan

Calistemon Thu 13-Jan-22 23:41:56

Langfang - population 4,358,839

160Unhealthy ☹

Calistemon Thu 13-Jan-22 23:46:14

Anyway, I was going to change the bed and clean the house thoroughly tomorrow but I'm happy to take the advice and reduce my physical activity.
Even though I don't live in London.

Rosie51 Fri 14-Jan-22 00:07:09

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

Rosie51 Fri 14-Jan-22 00:08:44

Calistemon

Anyway, I was going to change the bed and clean the house thoroughly tomorrow but I'm happy to take the advice and reduce my physical activity.
Even though I don't live in London.

I do live in London, I shall fully observe the advice ???

Rosie51 Fri 14-Jan-22 00:15:08

China's record on human rights? China's record on treatment of the Uighur Muslims? But I bet they're brilliant on homosexual or transgender rights........... or maybe not. But they're brilliant......... on something......... I'm sure I'll remember in a minute or so.........

mokryna Fri 14-Jan-22 22:36:48

In the Paris area and other big towns when the pollution level gets too high, the government only allow the cars with an even number plate to drive one day, then on the following day it would be the uneven number. We haven’t had that for two years now.

M0nica Fri 14-Jan-22 22:39:56

London smogs killed my grandmother.