Gransnet forums

Health

Drinking sufficient water

(108 Posts)
giulia Thu 28-Apr-22 06:46:28

I'm trying to drink six (half litre) glasses during the course of the day but I often lose count, being a dotty old lady.

Have finally resolved this minor problem with dice! I keep one by my glass on the kitchen bench and just turn it over each time I finish a glass to the number I've consumed.

Just thought I'd pass on the tip...

giulia Sun 01-May-22 08:24:38

HazelEyes

Going back to the original post about turning over the dice what if you forget to turn the dice?! ?

Ha Ha! Am very careful about that but, of course, absolutely nothing is totally infallible!

effalump Sun 01-May-22 11:19:29

I'm loving the 'dice' method. I have a small timer that beeps every hour but there are several times a day when I ignore it, or I'm somewhere else so I might try the dice as I know I don't drink enough water and now that I'm older, it seems my kidneys are not as efficient as they used to be.

snowberryZ Sun 01-May-22 11:40:21

I suffer bouts of dry skin and every now and again I up my water intake.
But I buy electrolyte tablets and I'll break a quarter of one ,(maybe less) into a glass of water. I don't do it with every glass.
The one I like is called Zero and comes in different flavours.

snowberryZ Sun 01-May-22 11:42:46

These are the ones
highfive.co.uk/collections/hydration-tablets?gclid=Cj0KCQjw37iTBhCWARIsACBt1Iyy134wg5Gk0TKi-vjh_71uLUoHa1_TXxHZE3Nn5MaBS6Zrs96F3uMaAvYIEALw_wcB

JMcD Mon 02-May-22 09:46:38

I nearly died of severe dehydration (caused by a pituitary deficiency). It wasn’t recognised by G.P until almost too late. After release from hospital I drank so much water that I ended up with low sodium.! There is a happy medium!

Candelle Tue 03-May-22 23:44:36

The colour of your urine will tell you if you are dehydrated or not:
pale yellow, good -
dark yellow/orange, bad.

By the time you feel thirsty apparently one is slightly dehydrated.

Hetty58 Wed 04-May-22 00:38:20

Candelle, yes, monitor the output if in doubt. It's strange that the myths persist - and there's so many people forcing excess fluids down themselves - to stay 'healthy' and avoid dehydration - pointless and potentially harmful. Who wants all the extra trips to the loo?

MaizieD's first comment is quite correct, of course. I don't drink much water - just tea (lots) coffee, oat milk and juice. There's plenty of fluids in my vegetable-laden vegan diet too.