Gransnet forums

Health

Please tell me that having a 1st grandchild due shortly will take my focus away from.my general anxiety.

(33 Posts)
This2willpass Thu 12-May-22 08:27:22

Suffering from general anxiety and hoping a 1st grandchild due shortly will keep me busy and focused away from my anxiety. Thanks in advance for replies.

Elegran Sat 14-May-22 09:37:14

It is too much to put onto a baby the responsibility of keeping you free of anxiety, even if you are not actually telling them that you hope that will succeed. In time he/she will feel guilty about doing or being anything that might cause you stress and make you anxious again, and that could start him/her on course to become anxious themselves.

Fix your own problems for yourself (with help) and just enjoy the little mite when he/she arrives. It won't be a sudden recovery, but wanting to be more relaxed with your grandchild will encourage you to work towards it. Good wishes.

henetha Sat 14-May-22 09:57:49

I've just become a step-great-grandmother, and already worried about the state of the world ahead for this little one.
But we have to keep things in proportion and not let it ruin everyday life for us, or for them.
I do hope you are starting to feel better now, and if not then seek help.

Germanshepherdsmum Sat 14-May-22 10:52:38

Well said Serendipity. I completely agree.

This2willpass Sun 15-May-22 08:12:36

I am already on antidepressants.

Germanshepherdsmum Sun 15-May-22 08:42:46

You may need a higher dose or a different type. I’m on them too and the type dosage have changed over the years.

This2willpass Sun 15-May-22 18:26:23

It’s trying to find the right help. I do appreciate all your posts.

Germanshepherdsmum Sun 15-May-22 19:23:07

You need to go back to your doctor. Also please try joining the Black Dog Gang on GN - lots of support and understanding for people with depression and anxiety. People who understand and don’t judge.