Gransnet forums

Health

Arthritis, steroid injection

(19 Posts)
grannyrebel7 Mon 16-May-22 09:52:19

My DH is on the waiting list for a partial knee replacement. He's never been offered steroid injections and being a bloke won't ask for them. Just wonder why this wasn't a option for him.

silverlining48 Mon 16-May-22 09:45:26

The steroid guided injection in my hip only worked for 7 days before the pain returned far worse than it had been before.
I don’t know if it caused the extensive oedema in that hip so not sure I would be happy to repeat.

Iam64 Mon 16-May-22 09:09:37

I’ve found steroids give relief. The only injection I had thst didn’t work was into my hip. It wouldn’t stop me having another if I need it

silverlining48 Mon 16-May-22 09:08:17

So other than not wearing heels you can walk without pain!

pieinthesky Mon 16-May-22 09:06:28

First op was done by a Podiatric surgeon but the second was done by orthopaedic surgeon. Think it will depend on your hospital.

silverlining48 Mon 16-May-22 07:19:28

Thank you Pie fir the information about your toe operation. I have a gp appointment tomorrow and will discuss. Assume it was under orthopaedics?

biglouis Mon 16-May-22 01:05:24

Upto the pandemic I used to have about 3 steroid injections a year in my arthritic knee. The doc told me they usually work from 8-12 weeks but I found that mine lasted longer. The pain eventually returned but not so badly.

Some people find these injections very painful but they were never a problem for me. Im now thinking of contacting my doc to start them up again.

I think everyone had a different reastion to them. I use a TENS machine to help with arthritic pain but again they do not work for everyone.

Marydoll Mon 16-May-22 00:48:52

HurdyGurdy

I've never had good results from steroid injections.

I am counting down the days until I have my Rituximab infusion, as that keeps me symptom free. Had to miss them during the pandemic, and I am currently in the middke of a flare up.

I honestly had forgotten how painful RA is. Literally took 10 minutes to put a pair of socks on yesterday, as my hands and feet are so painful at the moment.

I hope your injection gives you some relief

Because I am CEV and couldn't have my Toxilizamub infusion in hospital, at the beginning of the pandemic, I started injecting myself weekly at home. The prescription is written by the RA nurse prescriber, sent to the pharmacy and the injections are then delivered to my door.
Much better than trailing to hospital every four weeks. Have you considered doing it this way, it takes less than a minute and made a huge difference for me.?

As for the Kennilog injection in the bum, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, I had one in January and it dampened down the inflammation for a couple of months.
I too am having a flare up, at the moment and my June appointment with the consultant has now been cancelled! ?

RA pain is off the scale, I hope you find some relief soon.

pieinthesky Mon 16-May-22 00:30:51

I have had both my big toes operated on for arthritis or hallus rigidus as it’s called when affecting the toes. Both times my toe joint was fused. The first time I was awake and had a type of nerve block on my leg. I couldn’t feel a thing but could hear every sound and it lasted well over an hour and a half. The second time at a different hospital I was only offered a general anaesthetic and preferred that as I just went to sleep and when I woke up was in a ward with a nurse offering me a cup of tea and a sandwich. I have had no pain in my toes since my ops, the only downside is that it’s uncomfortable to wear high heels but that doesn’t bother me.I had steroid injections in the past but they were not any use in stopping the pain.

Mollygo Sun 15-May-22 23:40:29

I’ve had steroid injections for arthritis. The effects seem to last 2-3 years for me. Working that out from the fact that I had an injection in my knee before Covid was even heard about and I’m beginning to think of asking for another.

crazyH Sun 15-May-22 23:11:48

Years ago, when my son had Juvenile Arthritis, he had a steroid injection in his knee.
I also know a friend who has regular steroid injections for her Rheumatoid Arthritis. She is in her seventies. She could never manage her pain without them. Was diagnosed when she was about 45 and has had either steroid tablets or injections since then, especially during flare-ups.

silverlining48 Sun 15-May-22 23:04:32

The injections that is, not the new hip which I am
Recovering well now 4 weeks post operation.

silverlining48 Sun 15-May-22 23:02:52

Oh annodomimi I have bad arthritis in my big toe and have spoken to doctors about the pain and was told there wasn’t anything than can be done. Do you know What sort of operation they do.

As for Hip injections I had one for my hip pain and was free of pain for only a week before it the pain returned but was much worse, which meant a wait for a new hip, I don’t know if o was unlucky but would hesitate about doing it again.

annodomini Sun 15-May-22 22:49:42

My DS has arthritis in both big toes. He says he doesn't think the steroid injections have made much difference and his consultant is considering surgery. On the contrary, I've previously had injections for a shoulder problem which worked wonders for me. I'm thinking of asking for another as the shoulder is again playing up.

BigBertha1 Sun 15-May-22 22:21:04

My eldest daughter had a nerve block under vs yesterday in her hip. I hope it works. She has psoriatic arthritis and had a nerve block in her back a few weeks ago. We wait to hear now if she needs a hip replacement. She was a gymnast as a young girl and already had one op on her shoulder.

HurdyGurdy Sun 15-May-22 22:09:38

I've never had good results from steroid injections.

I am counting down the days until I have my Rituximab infusion, as that keeps me symptom free. Had to miss them during the pandemic, and I am currently in the middke of a flare up.

I honestly had forgotten how painful RA is. Literally took 10 minutes to put a pair of socks on yesterday, as my hands and feet are so painful at the moment.

I hope your injection gives you some relief

Mary59nana Sun 15-May-22 21:15:05

I have Rheumatiod Arthritis and every couple of years I have a knee wash and steroid injection and within a hour I'm dancing with relief.
Sometimes they do give injection in the bum it does reduce inflammation in the whole body

tanith Sun 15-May-22 19:36:28

I've not had steroids for my Arthritis but i am of the opinion that its possibly a short term fix anyway and the benefit if any is short lived.

susytish Sun 15-May-22 18:19:20

I am soon having a steroid injection in my hip. My problem is my knee but they have discovered arthritis in hip so having injection there. Don't really have pain in hip but do in knee. Have had 2 injection in knee with no improvement. Anyone in similar position?