Gransnet forums

Health

High cholesterol

(31 Posts)
Kandinsky Sat 28-May-22 07:54:21

Good Morning,

So, I’ve been diagnosed with high cholesterol ( 6 ) and told I have to reduce it - but how?
I’m not particularly overweight, I eat okay, I run 5k twice a week.
Any tips or advice greatly appreciated.

growstuff Sat 28-May-22 14:34:46

Kandinsky

These are my results GrannyLaine

Your triglyceride and LDL levels are quite high, but your HDL level (good cholesterol) is good. Many doctors think the ratios are more important than the total. Have you tried cutting down on meat and full fat cheese?

My overall cholesterol is 3, but my ratios aren't good.

Kandinsky Sat 28-May-22 15:20:52

growstuff

Tbh I don’t eat much cheese or meat, I think my downfall is toast dripping in country life butter, plus I eat a lot of pasta, white rice, basically too many carbohydrates.
But I’m changing my diet now as I’d really like to avoid going on medication.,

Jane43 Mon 30-May-22 20:12:50

DH uses Benecol spread and has a little bottle of cholesterol lowering drink every day, Sainsbury's own brand are good. He also has oats every day, either in muesli which he makes himself or porridge and we drink oat milk. He has managed to avoid medication by these measures.

BigBertha1 Tue 31-May-22 06:31:39

My Husband has FH but has been living happily on statins for the last forty years. He is very careful with what he eats in terms of content and volume but doesn't ban anything.

Floradora9 Tue 31-May-22 16:37:26

Kandinsky

MerylStreep

That’s really interesting - thank you.
I really don’t want to take medication unless I desperately have to.

Professor Jeremy Pearson, Associate Medical Director at the British Heart Foundation, said: “Old age itself – particularly reaching the age of 80 and above - puts people at increased risk of a heart attack or stroke. This risk can be heightened by factors such as high cholesterol, diabetes and high blood pressure, even in those who are otherwise seemingly healthy.”

“Previous clinical trials – which are a better measure than observational studies like this - have also suggested that statins can contribute to a reduction in risk of a heart attack or stroke in elderly people with no history of heart disease. However, further trials are needed to better understand how effective they are in this age group. Regardless of age, those who have suffered a heart attack or stroke will benefit from taking a statin.

Regardless of age, those who have suffered a heart attack or stroke will benefit from taking a statin.
“In line with current guidance, the most important thing is that GPs have a discussion with their elderly patients to help them understand their personal risk of a heart attack or stroke, so they can make an informed decision about taking statins.