Gransnet forums

Health

vaccinations = one in each arm

(58 Posts)
Franbern Sun 25-Sep-22 08:59:51

Seems that this year many people are being offered both the annual 'flu jab and the upgraded covid booster at the same time, one in each arm.

Had mine yesterday = amongst many more over-80's at our GP surgery.

So, today the arm with the covid one is slightly sore and achy, other arm is fine. I feel fine in myself.. Was advised hat this Moderna shot has been upgraded to cover the new variants.

One of my daughters tells me that covid is flying around the newly returned schools, so feel pleased that I am covered.

There people there who were opting only to have their 'flu jab, and some opting only for the covid one. Glad I had both.

Anyone else on GN who have had this double shot?

SueDonim Sun 25-Sep-22 13:02:16

I have an appointment for both but I’m not sure they’ll give it to me as I’ve moved GP practice to another area.

We had both together last year, it was no different from any other jab regime. Though we’re used to multiple shots for living abroad, when you might get four or five at once!

mrsHom Sun 25-Sep-22 13:11:36

We had both shots yesterday and both felt incredibly poorly all night. Mr Hom has reacted to all Covid shots, but I have never had a reaction to any kind of shot - flu, Covid, shingles, pneumonia - all painless. If we continue to be offered a yearly Covid shot along with the flu shot I will not have them together again. I don't know which shot made me feel ill, or whether it was the two together. Haven't felt this bad since I had shingles. I'm thinking it will only last twenty-four hours though, but I wouldn't like to feel that ill again if I could avoid it.

MeowWow Sun 25-Sep-22 13:15:50

My husband and I had both jabs last week, one in each arm. No side effects other than tenderness at the injection site which only lasted a day or two.

cornergran Sun 25-Sep-22 13:23:12

Mr C had one in each arm last year and was fine. Just out of hospital after surgery I opted for one at a time

This year our surgery hasn’t yet called us for vaccination, those who have been called have been offered one in each arm.

Booking via the NHS site we had covid vaccination at a local centre and a flu jab at Boots 8 days later. One question asked at Boots was have you had any other vaccination within the last 5 days. Anyone who had was refused vaccination until 5 days had passed. Wonder why the discrepancy.

Shelflife Sun 25-Sep-22 13:35:21

I felt the same yesterday, always have vaccinations in my left arm to ensure my right arm remains functional. Two weeks since Covid in left but had to have flu jab in right arm yesterday. Not complaining I am very grateful to have the vaccinations and very thankful we have such clever people to do the research to develop them.
No dude effects at all, I am very fortunate!

Shelflife Sun 25-Sep-22 13:35:51

Side !!

PollyDolly Sun 25-Sep-22 13:43:16

Just had my Covid Booster and Flu vaccines, one in each arm as they will not do them both in the same arm.

sandelf Sun 25-Sep-22 14:28:07

Had the new Moderna/Omicron vac. Did have a few extra tired days after - but only a few and normal now. Far better than having to be toted off to hospital 'in the event'. Rather glad they didn't do 'flu too (they just hadn't been sent that vaccine). I tend to react to things (have had ME in the past) and think spreading the challenges may help.

annodomini Sun 25-Sep-22 15:29:16

I had the flu jab one week and the Moderna vax a week later in the other arm. I was told that my Moderna arm might be painful and heavy the following day. It was, but that didn't last more than 24 hours. I never had any reaction with the Pfizer shots so can count myself very lucky.

notgran Sun 25-Sep-22 16:45:57

We both had the flu jabs and Moderna vax yesterday. We both feel fine to-day, our arms are very slightly sore but actually until I read this post I had forgotten about having them. Following the lying in state and funeral the number of cases can only rise so I am very glad to have had them.

Petera Sun 25-Sep-22 16:53:18

Had COVID, going back for flu later. I had a conversation with the doctor who did it and asked if they had got any further with a combined vaccine so you only needed one. He said that there had been some talk about it being developed back in the spring but it all went quiet.

tidyskatemum Sun 25-Sep-22 17:27:20

Same as last year we had the flu jab in one arm and Covid in the other. DH was absolutely fine but the arm I had the Covid shot in was sore with swelling round the injection site - though not half as bad as it was last year when my arm felt it was about to drop off for a couple of days.

Esspee Sun 25-Sep-22 17:41:08

MeowWow

My husband and I had both jabs last week, one in each arm. No side effects other than tenderness at the injection site which only lasted a day or two.

This describes what everyone I know has experienced including OH and me.

I cannot understand those who turn down vaccinations.

Floradora9 Sun 25-Sep-22 21:48:00

We get both next month a GP friend advises to get one in each arm .

FoghornLeghorn Sun 25-Sep-22 23:17:11

cornergran

Mr C had one in each arm last year and was fine. Just out of hospital after surgery I opted for one at a time

This year our surgery hasn’t yet called us for vaccination, those who have been called have been offered one in each arm.

Booking via the NHS site we had covid vaccination at a local centre and a flu jab at Boots 8 days later. One question asked at Boots was have you had any other vaccination within the last 5 days. Anyone who had was refused vaccination until 5 days had passed. Wonder why the discrepancy.

I’m an RN who has worked in a vaccination centre for the past year and a half. The only vaccine you shouldn’t have within one week of your Covid jab is the shingles vaccine. All others are absolutely fine.

Franbern Mon 26-Sep-22 09:13:35

So, 48 hours later - covid jab arm, a little sore around injection site, and slightly heavy feeling. Yesterday, I could not properly pull myself together, just kept falling asleep, = had great night sleep last night and absolutely back to normal now. I know, that neither are really fully effective for about another fortnight. I do wonder at those that refuse these vaccinations.

Forsythia Tue 27-Sep-22 22:34:23

Had both on Saturday. Flu arm fine, no issues. COVID arm ached and then Sunday I was wiped out with aches and pains and sweats. Come Monday, all ok again. I slept all day Sunday and all night.

SusieB50 Tue 27-Sep-22 22:43:22

Had Moderna with Omicron add on this morning . My arm is really painful already and I feel a bit “off”, never had a reaction from Pfizer or any flu jabs before. I’m booked for flu on Saturday , they had run out at the pharmacy today.

growstuff Wed 28-Sep-22 02:50:22

I have to avoid injections in my left arm after sentinel node removal, so I've booked my jabs at separate times. Both will be in my right arm.

karmalady Wed 28-Sep-22 08:19:30

I wanted separation so flu jab this evening in r arm and covid in 2 weeks in left arm

rosie1959 Wed 28-Sep-22 08:32:16

I am expecting mine to be done separately the flu jab is usually done by our GP but Covid jabs for my group where done externally the GP only did the elderly and those at risk to my knowledge the GP hasn't even started doing Covid as they haven't had any supplies
We have a few pop up sites advertised for our area so hopefully I will become eligible by the time these occur

Newquay Wed 28-Sep-22 08:39:31

We always have jabs separately-or how do you know which it is if you have a reaction?
DH and I have both had Covid-flu booked in a couple of weeks-mine at local supermarket pharmacy!

rosie1959 Wed 28-Sep-22 08:45:04

I suppose knowing which you have a reaction to won't really help as they both will change every year

MawtheMerrier Wed 28-Sep-22 08:52:36

I did, yesterday and I feel absolutely fine!
Covid in left, flu in right , no problem!

Yammy Wed 28-Sep-22 08:56:44

Franbern

*Yammy*, when I had my shingles shot, it had no after-effect whatsoever.

Thanks for letting me know that reassures me we still have not heard. DD had a very bad attack that was on her face and in her hair, she had to sleep with icepacks. Luckily we got her to the GP on time and he gave her a shot of something that lessons the attack.