Gransnet forums

Health

👯‍♀️Hip & Knee Replacement #3 👯‍♀️

(1001 Posts)
FannyCornforth Mon 05-Dec-22 12:03:11

Hello 👋

Here is the new thread!
Thank you to regular and irregular posters all.

Especially those such as Silverling and Charleygirl who have provided so much advise and support. (There are lots of other lovely posters, but too many to list).

As well as advice, there is also much wisdom and kindness.

I will link to the first and second threads below.

Wherever you are on your replacement journey, you are most welcome to join us here smile

fflur Wed 29-Mar-23 19:13:27

Thank you all. I have stopped using crutches about the house but use them outside. I fainted (in bed) the evening after my operation because of the anaemia (they gave me a blood test) and I fell the third night when I tried to go to the bathroom without them. I was very light headed. So I lost a lot of confidence. I need them outside because of the hills and slopes in the village and for steps. My balance isn't very good at the moment.
Aveline did you have a knee replacement or a hip?

GrannyLaine Wed 29-Mar-23 19:17:44

I don’t think it’s about different hospitals Aveline Different people have different needs. I most definitely couldn’t have done without crutches.

silverlining48 Thu 30-Mar-23 08:58:04

I already had nice black shiny crutches and took them into hospital with me. The hospital said sticks would be better so now I have sticks and crutches but actually only used the sticks. Don’t suppose it matters much as long as the person feels safe.
Will keep with the other equipment I bought up in the loft , just in case .....

silverlining48 Thu 30-Mar-23 08:59:59

Just posted but this hasn’t made the Active list, not even at the end of it...

Aveline Thu 30-Mar-23 09:10:26

I've had two knee replacements and one hip replacement. Crutches are not even available at the hospital I was operated on. I had a Zimmer for the first few hours but it was sneakily whisked away when I was asleep! The physios had me on two sticks asap. After the first op when I accepted the opioides I could hardly co ordinate my feet and sticks and also fainted (luckily while sitting on the bed) Next time no opioides and recovered much better.

susytish Fri 31-Mar-23 13:47:54

I am now 7 weeks post TKR. Seeing a consultant tomorrow. First time since op. I am progressing slowly but have started to get niggling pain in my lower back and hips. I was interested in what you were saying about crutches. Maybe I am relying too much on them, walk with one in the house, but presently gone back to two. Maybe not walking properly.
Also still taking codeine and paracetamol 4 times daily. Don’t feel it helps now. Sometimes take Neurofen instead.
Would be interested to hear your advice.
Was a bit put out yesterday when learnt that my friends husband drove yesterday for the first time, 5 weeks after hip replacement!

Aveline Fri 31-Mar-23 14:03:17

Recovery from hip replacement is amazingly fast compared to TKR. I was certainly driving at 5 weeks post op and it was fine.
Maybe the crutches affect your gait and put a different pressure on back and hips?

susytish Sun 02-Apr-23 11:33:33

I have been to see the Consultant/Surgeon yesterday. 7 weeks after surgery for right TKR. He is happy with progress. I have arthritis in right hip and he could have done that first but decided on the knee as a lot of pain there.
Now I am getting discomfort in my groin and a pain in my lower back. Presumably the start of the hip problem. I didn’t have hip pain before.
He thinks it could be due to the way I am walking, as pre-surgery I had a wonky leg which is now straight. He told me I am going to need a new hip anyway in the not too distant.
This is all depressing, as I thought I was getting on fairly well, albeit slowly. Should I walk more, do hip exercises?
I am due to see the hospital physio in a week so I can speak to them.
My husband has been great looking after me as you know. I want to get back to my normal life, drive, cook, go for walks, play with my grandkids.

Aveline Sun 02-Apr-23 11:43:26

Have you changed your shoes? If you gait has changed significantly it's likely that your feet will be wearing shoes down in a different way. Try new ones?

FannyCornforth Fri 07-Apr-23 09:33:33

Hello all.
Susy did you see the physio?
If you have bone on bone pain in your hip, I would not recommend more walking.

susytish Fri 07-Apr-23 12:52:22

FannyCornforth The hospital physio has been concentrating on my knee. The surgeon, on my 6 week-ish visit this week, said the hip will need doing within 12 months or so.
I am seeing hospital physio next week so will talk to them about it.
I feel I just want to walk, house and garden, with one crutch, and in the house without a crutch sometimes.
My op was self-paid by my wonderful children so all treatment is now finished bar a couple of physio sessions.
I have to decide whether to get myself on an NHS route for the hip. They have stopped taking NHS patients at hospital I went to, but there is a hospital nearby that still does.

silverlining48 Fri 07-Apr-23 15:49:26

Does no harm to get yourself on the nhs list. It costs nothing and is a good back up in case things get worse with the hip. The physio can advise when you see them next week.

FannyCornforth Sat 15-Apr-23 08:28:24

Hello Hipsters and Kneesies.
I hope everyone is getting on okay.
An update on me.
I have been suffering terrible foot pain (along with pain in my back and legs).
I self referred to an NHS podiatrist and they came to see me on Thursday.
When he looked at my feet in the footstool, he said straight away that one leg is ‘significantly’ longer than the other and that is what is causing all the problems.
I was quite relieved tbh, because I couldn’t understand why I wasn’t doing as well as others (my Thr was last June).
Anyway, he’s referred me to the NHS orthopaedics, but the waiting list is over 18 months, so I’m going to ask my GP for a referral to the Nuffield.
This has been going on for years now, and I’m still on really strong painkillers sad

FannyCornforth Sat 15-Apr-23 08:30:08

And still no show in the Active List hmm

FannyCornforth Sat 15-Apr-23 08:30:49

I’ll try again…

downtoearth Sat 15-Apr-23 08:52:09

Just to keep tge thread moving.
I have my pre assessment on monday,and a date of 26th April for my THR.

Have been busy ordering raised toilet seat, raised seat cushion, a pregnancy pillow to stop rolling onto side in bed, and numerous devices to keep me independant as I live alone.

If I get the choice I will opt for a spinal block.

I dont know wether I will see an OT as they seem to be thin on the ground in my part of the country, so have been as proactive with my preparation for the big day.

silverlining48 Sat 15-Apr-23 08:59:31

Morning all. Pleased to see us high on the active list.
Good to hear from you Fanny but sorry to hear about your ongoing problems and hope you get an appointment soon.

I came out of hospital a year ago today after my hip op the previous day and though it all seemed ok was conscious of one leg seemingly slightly longer than the other.
I am not so aware of it now m
but still have difficulty getting down and up from the ground and wish I had done my exercises a bit more often.
I have started to get sharp little pains in the new hip and sometimes sitting on a hard surface feel a hard lump digging in. I assume if there was something serious I wouldn’t be able to walk.
Hope you get help soon Fanny , being in constant pain is very hard. flowers

FannyCornforth Sat 15-Apr-23 09:00:22

When is your op downtoearth?
Don’t forget to buy a grabber!

FannyCornforth Sat 15-Apr-23 09:03:24

Thank you Silver
I have loads of trouble if I get on the floor.
I was over ambitious cleaning the bathroom last week and got stuck on the floor. I had to crawl into the bedroom and use the bed to get up.

Happy 1st Birthday to your New Hip! 🥳

silverlining48 Sat 15-Apr-23 09:07:53

Morning downtoearth, not long now. Impressed with the equipment you have already gathered, don’t forget a long handled shoe horn, useful fir what it’s designed fir but also a good back scratcher.
Also a shiny plastic bag for getting in and out of the car,
You may not see an OT , I didn’t, but think you can still contact them and request equipment. Best check.
Good luck and let us know how things go.

Charleygirl5 Sat 15-Apr-23 09:23:15

downtoearth one thing you will find difficulty in doing when you return home post-surgery is getting in and out of bed. Now would be a good time to practice using something firm like a scarf or an old bandage popped around your lower leg to lift it in and out until the muscles are working.

Your grabber will be helpful for getting knickers on and off and again, have a go now.

downtoearth Sat 15-Apr-23 10:02:33

Thankyou FC and CG, and everyone.
Op is 26th April.
Have Long shoehorn and a grabber, and a wheely type tea trolley thing
g for transpoting things around, coming today..
Have a sock/ tights putter on and taker off, even something to haul up the knickers and take them off again.
Am practising and fine tuning getting washing in/ out of machine without bending, I am practicing hauling leg off floor with a scarf.
Havè bought drench wipes, no water shampoo and long dresses to wear as trousers may be awkward, and nighties, hopefully covered all bases.
A huge thanks to hipsters past and present for the tips.
A big tesco delivery prior to going should ensure I dont starve when I return.
Hope you are all having a good day without pain

silverlining48 Sat 15-Apr-23 10:05:27

Sounds like you are well prepared downtoearth.
I used the grabber to load/unload the washing machine.

JenniferEccles Sat 15-Apr-23 11:44:02

Good morning everyone. Nice to see that this thread is continuing. I’m sure it’s helpful for those awaiting a hip or knee replacement.
One thing I would suggest downtoearth is to buy a frame to use for the first week or so.
Crutches are fine and of course we have to get used to using them but a frame is so useful for those loo visits in the night.
Trying to manipulate crutches when we are half asleep is challenging! They need to be propped up in the bathroom and if they slide down you are stuck ! I think frames are quite cheap from Amazon.
I also wore an apron with a large pocket to transport glasses and phone etc.
Other than that you sound pretty organised which is the key to making life easier in those first difficult couple of weeks or so after surgery.
Best of luck to you and everyone else in the recovery stage!

downtoearth Sat 15-Apr-23 14:21:17

Thanks JE, thanks SL, I have been practising this morning.

Wheely trolley has been delivered, I am hoping to use that for night visits, and transporting stuff about.

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion