Gransnet forums

Health

Contacting the doctor

(55 Posts)
Luckygirl3 Fri 09-Dec-22 09:53:30

Not MP - GP. although perhaps I would be better off seeing an MP!!

Luckygirl3 Fri 09-Dec-22 09:52:47

It is all so very sad - my OH was a GP and he would be utterly horrified by it all, having devoted his life to his patients.

I am not sure quite what is going on - do we suddenly have fewer GPs than we did pre-pandemic, when the system was troubled, but you could actually get to see an MP?

The last two occasions I have had consultations - both were on the phone - there were misdiagnoses and mis-prescribing. In the one case I was given antibiotics where it would have been clear these were unnecessary if I had been examined; and in the other, I was given a drug that it became clear was not appropriate in the presence of others I am taking.

I have osteoporosis and balance problems and fear what might happen if I fell.

Charleygirl5 Fri 09-Dec-22 09:42:26

My surgery has gone one better and joined up with another dozen so one may be given an appointment to go to any of these surgeries. Where most of them are is another minor problem. It will obviously be somebody I have never seen in my life and he/she does not know me.

I wonder if another surgery would take me on as a new patient at my age?

GrannyGravy13 Fri 09-Dec-22 09:33:49

Blimey Whitewavemark2 what a palaver !

We can still go into our surgery and make an appointment or ring at 8am for an appointment on that day.

Sometimes it’s an initial telephone appointment which either leads to a face-to-face appointment or a prescription. Repeat prescriptions can be ordered via the app and take 3-4 working days before pick up at designated pharmacy.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 09-Dec-22 09:27:34

The system has begun to get almost impossible!

So - DH had previously spoken to his doctor by phone about a cough that he has had for a number of weeks.

He was advised to wait a week to see if it got any better.

2 weeks later - still the same. So DH decided to consult the doctor on-line.

Previously we simply went into the surgery web site and opened up the appropriate boxes (requested for repeat prescription, advise etc) and sent a message to the surgery which generally elicited a response within a short period of time.

Now😡😡😡😡

There is a page that comes up blocking access to the site. This page first asks for your personal details, then sends a security number to your mobile, you are then asked to send a photo of your ID, you are then asked to send a video of yourself repeating some numbers. It is then verified which will apparently take 24 hours.

DH decided initially to consult on line thinking it would save everyone time😡😡😡

He gave up and rang the busy surgery waiting in a queue.

If anyone is not very confident this is never going to work! It is ridiculous and merely pushing folk back to phoning the surgery.