Gransnet forums

Health

Need help from a nurse

(76 Posts)
Luckygirl3 Sat 21-Jan-23 08:43:50

For some years I have had a small black lesion on the side of my nail on the middle toe of my left foot. It has been very tiny but grew a bit recently. IN the middle of the night last Wednesday it must have caught on something (I have fleece sheets) and it woke me in a cute pain. When I put my leg out of the bed it was bleeding - a lot! - I am on an anticoagulant and it poured over the carpet.

It was a great challenge as I have had a disc op and have a painful hip replacement, so bending is a very difficult. I eventually managed to staunch the flow by putting a large wodge of tissue on a grabber and pushing hard on my foot. With great difficulty I got a plaster on it and I have had it on ever since. I am hoping to get it off somehow this morning and try and see what is going on.

Ideally I would soak it in some salt water to keep it sterile, then replaster it if needs be. But it is very difficult to do and if it starts bleeding like it did before I will be in a pickle.

I actually think the lesion itself needs looking at, but no point at the moment as it will be surrounded in scab. I am imagining myself saying to the receptionist on the other end of the phone that I need someone to dress my toe - you have to be dying to get an appointment for major problems!

I am about to sally forth to the bathroom to see what I can do. Things are further compounded by not being able to see it in detail - no part of my varifocals seems to get it in focus. Time I was recycled I think!

JaneJudge Mon 06-Feb-23 17:01:46

I'm glad it has been done luckygirl. Fingers crossed for the results x

NotSpaghetti Mon 06-Feb-23 14:01:02

Oh crikey! Apologies- I missed the updates in my eagerness. 🤞

NotSpaghetti Mon 06-Feb-23 13:59:46

Luckygirl3

I have my appointment tomorrow. I decided to look at my back with two mirrors - there is a huge black item there, so I am glad I have this appointment - I will ask them to look at that at the same time.

Suggest you ask your GP to tell them about the back issue and ask them to check or you may find they won't do it! I had this once with a consultant! Most annoying.

GrannySomerset Mon 06-Feb-23 13:46:35

Fingers (and toes) crossed for you, Luckygirl!

Luckygirl3 Mon 06-Feb-23 13:26:07

Had my "toe job" this morning. Painless and I was able to drive home, but have to try and keep my foot up for 48 hours. Result of biopsy will be in 2-4 weeks.

JaneJudge Wed 01-Feb-23 17:45:22

oh ouch at what has to be done but it's better to get it over and one with flowers

NanTheWiser Wed 01-Feb-23 17:15:27

SynchroSwimmer

Can you take a photo in good light.
Then you can enlarge it and see in detail
Also send electronically to your GP surgery - they might refer you direct to Dermatology, based on the photo, if required?

Please read the latest posts! Luckygirl has an appt on Monday!

SynchroSwimmer Wed 01-Feb-23 16:51:27

Can you take a photo in good light.
Then you can enlarge it and see in detail
Also send electronically to your GP surgery - they might refer you direct to Dermatology, based on the photo, if required?

Whiff Wed 01-Feb-23 16:41:18

Luckygirl be pleased they are doing it so quickly..And being able put your toe nail back is good. Try not to worry I know that sounds silly but worrying about something you have no control is pointless. They will get the results back to you as soon as possible.

Callistemon21 Wed 01-Feb-23 16:30:05

Luckygirl3

They've just rung ... toe to be done on Monday ... they are not messing around! Don't know whether to be pleased or not!

Good, I'm glad you have a speedy appointment Luckygirl and I hope your toenail goes back successfully too.

Farzanah Wed 01-Feb-23 16:20:29

Read the last posts first Wyllow.

Wyllow3 Wed 01-Feb-23 16:07:04

You must get help!

I have in the past taken a photo of a problem and sent it to the GP as the same time as ringing for appointment as an attachment in an email. As an enlargement not distant blip on toe.

what Monica says above, wise words and the right way to put it! No underplaying.

Aveline Wed 01-Feb-23 15:54:35

At least things are moving fast. Good luck with it all.

Luckygirl3 Wed 01-Feb-23 15:42:53

They've just rung ... toe to be done on Monday ... they are not messing around! Don't know whether to be pleased or not!

Iam64 Wed 01-Feb-23 13:04:38

It does sound ouch but how good to be able to put the toe nail back

Luckygirl3 Wed 01-Feb-23 13:02:35

Thank you.

Farzanah Wed 01-Feb-23 11:03:37

Thank you for the update, was thinking about you Luckygirl. It sounds bit gruesome, but better than it lurking quietly undetected.

Hopefully soon be all over, and will be ok. Let us know how it goes.

Luckygirl3 Wed 01-Feb-23 09:33:39

Seen yesterday. They are going to biopsy it very soon. He said he would... "Take off the toenail, remove the lump, then slip the toenail back in!" I can hardly wait!

Whiff Mon 30-Jan-23 15:26:09

Glad you have your appointment tomorrow. Have you looked all over your body including feeling in your hair. My husband's malignant melanoma was in his hair line where his busy beard went into his hair. You couldn't see it unless you moved his hair.

Luckygirl3 Mon 30-Jan-23 14:12:56

Yes - will get it all over with tomorrow and hope for good news.

JaneJudge Mon 30-Jan-23 14:06:56

Oh Luckygirl, what a worry but it's good you are being seen so quickly x

Luckygirl3 Mon 30-Jan-23 14:05:21

I have my appointment tomorrow. I decided to look at my back with two mirrors - there is a huge black item there, so I am glad I have this appointment - I will ask them to look at that at the same time.

V3ra Tue 24-Jan-23 22:35:25

JaneJudge

1-2 weeks to see dermatology is a miracle smile I hope it's nothing too bothersome x

I certainly hope you are seen soon!

I've been waiting for a dermatology referral since last April for moles that one GP said "need keeping an eye on."
I rang to chase it up after six weeks as instructed and was told quite crossly I was on the list and would be called in due course.
Another GP assumed I'd been seen by now.
In the last few weeks I've received a letter asking if I still want the appointment or have I been seen elsewhere, I presumed they meant privately 🙄
Today I've had a text message to phone and book an appointment, phoned and hung on and eventually they ended the call saying leave a message and we'll call you back.
Tomorrow I'll try again...

Callistemon21 Tue 24-Jan-23 21:20:09

I'm glad you've got an appointment quickly, Luckygirl and that it's nothing nasty.

I had a lesion on my calf, GP thought it looked suspect but it turned out it was a vein that needed cauterising which was done immediately at the dermatology clinic.

crazyH Tue 24-Jan-23 21:17:40

Luckygirl - hope all goes well - thinking of you x