Gransnet forums

Health

Statins

(59 Posts)
MawtheMerrier Sun 05-Feb-23 14:47:47

I have recently restarted taking statins for high cholesterol. I stopped them before because they seemed to coincide with an outbreak of thrush which I had never had before and I had read somewhere of a link with one’s internal ph balance.

Then a week ago I thought I’d really better go back to them and have noticed increasing cramps in my hands which can seize up and need massaging back into use and some truly excruciating episodes of inner thigh cramps- above the knee to the groin- which are as bad as anything I have experienced for a long time.
I have upped my magnesium tablets (which always helped with leg cramps in the past) but also feel increased weariness in my legs in general.
Am I perhaps imagining this, looking for a problem? Recent research decreed there was no link between muscle issues and statins - well so “they” say.
So do I take my chance given that statins can decrease the risk of heart attack and stroke (but not to a massive degree) or put up with these bouts of crippling pain?
I do feel wearier and have less energy than I remember - but that’s probably just age.
I would be interested to hear other opinions and reactions if any.

annodomini Mon 13-Feb-23 09:57:36

I have been taking statins for at least 15 years with no obvious ill effects. I asked my GP if I could reduce the dosage and he agreed. I take a low dose and always at night.

Grantanow Mon 13-Feb-23 09:26:29

I've been taking statins for over 10 years with no ill effects. They save lives. My GP told me that most aches and pains are not related to statins. She said patients on statins occasionally experience pain but only in relation to the large muscles.

saltnshake Mon 06-Feb-23 21:41:20

My brother has taken statins for years with no side effects so I was expecting the same results when I was prescribed statins. No such luck, I had aching muscles and brain fog. I tried four different statins with same results. I now take Ezetimbe instead of statins. I have had no problems with this. If you are having problems ask your doctor if you can try this. It works on cholesterol in a different way and isn't quite as effective as statins but it does the job well enough for me. My cardiologist is quite happy for me to use Ezetimbe instead of statins.

Glorianny Mon 06-Feb-23 21:07:32

I was told I should take statins because my cholesterol level was high. But part of my high- just over 5- is caused by a high level of good cholesterol . I'm exercising, changing my diet and trying to lose a little weight. My health otherwise is excellent and my female relatives lived mostly into their 90s,. So I think I'll just carry on until my next check up.I can't see how a level of 5.4 made up of 2.4 good and 3 bad is the same as a level of 5.4 made up of 1 good and 4 bad.

Fleurpepper Mon 06-Feb-23 19:14:37

SparklyGrandma

I have tried server all but the leg pains were a bad side affect. It’s no good if your mobility is affected that’s no good for stroke prevention either?

Did you have the liver enzymes checked to know if it was the statins? Simple to do.

Iam64 Mon 06-Feb-23 19:07:00

Lynker

So sorry to hear about your husband Iam64. I am slim, I exercise regularly and I eat healthily. I was surprised that my cholesterol was high and I have wondered about coming off them now that it is reduced. However my mum had high cholesterol. She also had a triple heart bypass and then vascular dementia. She also spent 7 years of her life in care. I will follow medical advice to reduce my risks.

Thank you.

I’m slim, walk lots and when my cholesterol was first high according to my rheumatologist, at 5.7 that was acceptable for what she called ‘normal people, not for her patients
My mums was 8.7, going on the anti cholesterol diet brought it to 8. Some of it is genetic- take the drugs 😉

SparklyGrandma Mon 06-Feb-23 14:57:33

I have tried server all but the leg pains were a bad side affect. It’s no good if your mobility is affected that’s no good for stroke prevention either?

Curtaintwitcher Mon 06-Feb-23 14:50:35

I have been having an annual blood test, as is standard practise for older patients. A couple of years ago, I was told that my cholesterol was too high and I would have to take statins. There was no questions about lifestyle or diet. I refused and , although my doctor keeps trying to persuade me, I shall continue to refuse.
The drug companies want as many people as possible to take regular medication, whether or not it is the best choice for them.

dogsmother Mon 06-Feb-23 13:14:47

FleurPepper. You are spot on!
I speak as somebody who takes a low dose as borderline gratefully. Familial cardio links. Also having. Worked on neuro rehab for awhile anything to help pre this situation I willing go with. I also eat well ( or try to ).
I honestly believe they are worthwhile and recommend anyone who thinks they know better, think again.

Kate1949 Mon 06-Feb-23 12:48:41

Fleurpepper. I mean I would read the accompanying leaflet which I didn't do last time. I began to get heavy nosebleeds, one of which was in the middle of the night. I had to throw bedding away. I then had more bleeds, one that wouldn't stop and my husband rang 111. My GP couldn't find a reason for them. I had never had one in my life.
I couldn't understand it. The only thing I had done differently was to take statins so I read the leaflet and sure enough nosebleeds were one of the main side effects. I stopped taking them and the bleeds stopped.

MawtheMerrier Mon 06-Feb-23 12:23:38

Marydoll

MawtheMerrier

Which is why I was careful not to ask for advice but “opinions and reactions”.

I wasnt refering to you Maw, but to a post, where someone was still undecided after reading this thread.

I know MD -apologies for being unclear smile

Fleurpepper Mon 06-Feb-23 12:14:19

Tests done with placebos showed that many people develop side-effects mentionned in the leaflet.

As for leg cramps, etc, it is simple to get a test for a specific muscle enzyme, which would indicate that the Statin is the issue. So ask to be tested if you develop such muscle pains.

As for Kendrick's book, make sure you also read the 4S study done in UK and Scotland, for a more balanced view.

Lynker Mon 06-Feb-23 12:13:55

So sorry to hear about your husband Iam64. I am slim, I exercise regularly and I eat healthily. I was surprised that my cholesterol was high and I have wondered about coming off them now that it is reduced. However my mum had high cholesterol. She also had a triple heart bypass and then vascular dementia. She also spent 7 years of her life in care. I will follow medical advice to reduce my risks.

Fleurpepper Mon 06-Feb-23 11:55:19

Kate1949

I will try statins again if my GP thinks I need to. I will try a different one and check the side effects carefully.

How do you check? It is just amazing how our minds and bodies react to reading the medication leaflets mentionning side-effects. I choose not to reas them and rely on trusting doctors I know to be competent and experienced. Because if you read about side-effects- most of us do react negatively often. We just can't help it- it plays on the mind, and body.

Iam64 Mon 06-Feb-23 11:47:34

Lynker, my diet is good enough. On statins my cholesterol came from 5.7 to 3.5
I stopped the statins, tried harder with diet, cholesterol soon back to 5.8. Back to statins it’s 3.5 again
My husband died recently. He had three strokes in three days, the final one catastrophic. He was 71, very fit until a devastating cancer diagnosis six months before he died. The treatment for brain tumours caused the strokes. Having lived with him on the stroke ward for his final days, I’d avoid strokes if possible

Antonia Mon 06-Feb-23 11:46:09

Red Dr. Malcolm Kendrick's books 'The Great Cholesterol Con' and 'Statin Nation.'

Marydoll Mon 06-Feb-23 11:42:20

MawtheMerrier

I wasnt refering to you Maw, but to a post, where someone was still undecided after reading this thread.

foxie48 Mon 06-Feb-23 11:36:26

I'm 74 and after my last check up I got a text to say my cholesterol was a bit high and it was recommended that I went on statins. I asked for a telephone chat with my doctor as I was a bit unsure and having had that chat I'm now into my second month of taking statins. I've had no problems so far. My doctor said a lot of the "side effects" are actually just a part of getting older rather than from taking statins and the effects of a heart attack or stroke (if I survived) would be a lot more problematic.

MawtheMerrier Mon 06-Feb-23 11:35:31

Marydoll Mon 06-Feb-23 11:30:09

Forsythia

This thread is very timely. My DH has literally just come home from seeing the nurse at our practice who has told him he needs statins. I’ve just read out all your replies to him. He is undecided now. I will keep reading.

I agree with Fleurpepper, we shouldn't be relying on social media to help us decide to take statins or not.
I would only take the advice of a clinician, because everyone of us is different and there are so many factors involed.

Lynker Mon 06-Feb-23 11:23:47

I didn't want to take statins when my cholesterol was found to be 6.4. It was agreed that I would try for 3 months to reduce it myself with diet/ lifestyle changes. It came down to 6.3. I went on statins and in 3 months it came down to 4.3. I have no side effects and I am happy that my cholesterol is now within normal limits.

Kate1949 Mon 06-Feb-23 11:05:56

I will try statins again if my GP thinks I need to. I will try a different one and check the side effects carefully.

Fleurpepper Mon 06-Feb-23 11:05:22

Pheew. Bravo.

No harm in trying, and if he has any issues, and most do not, then change to a different one. But he shouldn't start with all the negatives in his head, as we are all so subjected to pre-conceptions which can affect the outcome. Tell us how he gets on.

Forsythia Mon 06-Feb-23 11:00:57

Yes he will Fleur Pepper. It’s just interesting reading this, that’s all.

Fleurpepper Mon 06-Feb-23 10:59:07

Forsythia, get professional advice. Not GN or social media- which is very dangerous. Please.

Depends on his cholesterol values, his BP, his history and family history, weight, diet, drinking, exercise, etc. NOT social media.