Gransnet forums

Health

Statins

(58 Posts)
MawtheMerrier Sun 05-Feb-23 14:47:47

I have recently restarted taking statins for high cholesterol. I stopped them before because they seemed to coincide with an outbreak of thrush which I had never had before and I had read somewhere of a link with one’s internal ph balance.

Then a week ago I thought I’d really better go back to them and have noticed increasing cramps in my hands which can seize up and need massaging back into use and some truly excruciating episodes of inner thigh cramps- above the knee to the groin- which are as bad as anything I have experienced for a long time.
I have upped my magnesium tablets (which always helped with leg cramps in the past) but also feel increased weariness in my legs in general.
Am I perhaps imagining this, looking for a problem? Recent research decreed there was no link between muscle issues and statins - well so “they” say.
So do I take my chance given that statins can decrease the risk of heart attack and stroke (but not to a massive degree) or put up with these bouts of crippling pain?
I do feel wearier and have less energy than I remember - but that’s probably just age.
I would be interested to hear other opinions and reactions if any.

FlexibleFriend Sun 05-Feb-23 15:01:23

I stopped taking statins because of awful cramps in my legs.

pascal30 Sun 05-Feb-23 15:04:34

Every time,I've tried statins and over the years I've tried 6 different types because my GP keeps pushing them, I've had terrible pains and weakness in my legs.. The last try a few months ago after not having taken any for several years, and because my GP kept persuading me, I tried a new one, resulted in my not being able to walk. The GP pharmacist insisted that these statins did not have that side effect.. I will never take any again because as soon as I stopped so did the weakness and pain.. Frankly I'd rather risk having another heart attack, though since I stopped taking blood pressure tablets my blood pressure has returned to normal..

YorkLady Sun 05-Feb-23 15:05:23

Same problem here. Mentioned it to the Doctor and he prescribed a different brand. Am now using Rosuvastatin and I have no side effects.

TillyTrotter Sun 05-Feb-23 15:13:32

I take a high dose of statins daily as my cholesterol level is too high I am told.
Interestingly when I asked for a breakdown of the level the Nurse said I have high level of good cholesterol as well as bad.
I am waiting to be referred to a Lipidologist for a second opinion of whether I will be recommended to take an even stronger dose of statins (which I don’t want to do).
BTW I don’t suffer pains or cramps in limbs or muscles and have been taking statins for 25 years.

Ziplok Sun 05-Feb-23 15:15:20

It might be worth discussing with your GP if a different statin could be tried to see if that suits you better. I believe there are quite a few different ones.

Gingster Sun 05-Feb-23 15:16:54

My husband has been taking statins for years but since having a TIA nearly 3 years ago the doctor put him on a different one. The muscles in his legs have got weaker and weaker. I’m convinced it’s the statins but am poo-pooed by the doctor and husband.
He used to play golf 3 times a week along with tennis but now can’t do these things.

Kate1949 Sun 05-Feb-23 17:23:41

My husband has been on them for years, as has my sister, with no problems. I went on them and started to get severe nosebleeds so I stopped taking them. The bleeds stopped.

MayBee70 Sun 05-Feb-23 18:08:24

My friend takes Co enzyme Q10 with her statins. Her doctor advised it.

Fleurpepper Sun 05-Feb-23 18:38:08

Statins save many lives, even better, they prevent devastating, debilitating strokes. I know what I would prefer.

Redrobin51 Sun 05-Feb-23 18:45:18

I had the same as you qnd it got so bad I could hardly hobble. I tried 3 different medications until my body managed to tolerate a low dose of Rosuvastatin. I take Coenzyme Q10 with it which also helps. I persevered as there is a history of heart problems on both sides of my family and I have the familial type of high chlorestrol. Good luck in finding something that suits.

BridgetPark Sun 05-Feb-23 18:57:17

MayBe70, I have also just started taking Co-enzyme C10. My son has just been over here from Australia, and his doctor put him on statins. He also prescribed the C10 tablets, as all doctors do this as the norm in Australia, as they believe they help with your energy levels as Statins can sap your energy. Find it very interesting that your Doctor has prescribed them, MayBe70, is he Australian?

Blossoming Sun 05-Feb-23 19:03:17

Do you have other risk factors for cardiovascular disease Maw?

Fleurpepper Sun 05-Feb-23 19:13:24

You must discuss this with your doctor and see if you can't swap to another one. Just depends on your familial and personal history and your cholesterol values. If they are borderline, and you have no worrying history, then perhaps stopping is an option. But this is truly not a question for an internet Forum, honestly. All the best.

I have low cholesterol, low BP and no familial history, so I don't take Statins. OH is just over borderline, but terrible familial history, so he takes them and has done for a long time, without any issue. Just depends- but needs to be discussed with doctor, not GN.

MayBee70 Sun 05-Feb-23 22:14:31

BridgetPark

MayBe70, I have also just started taking Co-enzyme C10. My son has just been over here from Australia, and his doctor put him on statins. He also prescribed the C10 tablets, as all doctors do this as the norm in Australia, as they believe they help with your energy levels as Statins can sap your energy. Find it very interesting that your Doctor has prescribed them, MayBe70, is he Australian?

No. It’s my friend who’s on them: she lives in Devon. She’s had covid and I mentioned that I’d heard that it’s good to take Co Enzyme Q10 to help with tiredness and she told me she was on them already because her doctor had advised to take them with statins.

Marydoll Sun 05-Feb-23 23:08:22

I have been on statins for years with no side effects. My cholesterol isn't high, but after two heart attacks, I was advised to take them.

AussieGran59 Mon 06-Feb-23 01:10:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AussieGran59 Mon 06-Feb-23 01:17:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

grandMattie Mon 06-Feb-23 05:38:50

I would only take statins AFTER I’d had a heart attack or TIA. I don’t think it is useful as a prophylactic before any of the above episodes. IMHO I think the benefits, if you haven’t had any heart problems, are greatly exaggerated.

Dorrain Mon 06-Feb-23 05:51:45

My doctor suggested statins a while ago due to high cholesterol (good and bad). People I had spoken to before this all complained of side affects, which I mentioned to him.
I am a reasonably healthy person (67 yrs old) so he suggested I change my lifestyle and see if there is any improvement. Perhaps you could talk to your doctor about these options?
Since then I walk everyday. A 40 minute solid power walk, and last March I started on time restricted fasting, both of which have shown to decrease bad cholesterol.
He also suggested I eat oats and legumes regularly, cut out processed food except dark chocolate, which I have done.
I go back in March and I'm certain my cholesterol will be lower, I just feel so much more energised. Cramps, aches and pains and lack of energy do not make for a pleasant lifestyle!
I give blood every three months and my blood pressure, blood sugar and weight have all dropped according to their calculations.
Time restricted eating was hard at first but now its second nature, I start eating at noon and stop at 9pm each day.
I prefer the whole body/lifestyle method to taking tablets. Obviously if there is no improvement to my cholesterol I'll have to have a rethink...fingers and toes crossed.
PS I'm in Australia too and I've been with my doctor for almost forty years.

Grannie06 Mon 06-Feb-23 06:23:49

I was very interested to read this as I have just been told to take statins but like others I don't want to and have decided to try changing my diet first.

Iam64 Mon 06-Feb-23 08:49:00

Maw, several years ago, I stopped taking them because of muscle ache. I started again last year because my cholesterol levels had gone higher than my rheumatologist believes safe. RA - heart disease are good friends. I have other risk factors, heart disease on maternal family tree and atrial fib. So I agreed to try again. The doc prescribed a different statin and I’ve had no problems. Best

Marydoll Mon 06-Feb-23 08:52:05

Iam64

Maw, several years ago, I stopped taking them because of muscle ache. I started again last year because my cholesterol levels had gone higher than my rheumatologist believes safe. RA - heart disease are good friends. I have other risk factors, heart disease on maternal family tree and atrial fib. So I agreed to try again. The doc prescribed a different statin and I’ve had no problems. Best

As you know Iam, I too, have RA, which is why I spent last week in the cardiology ward.
RA and heart problems go hand in hand!

Iam64 Mon 06-Feb-23 09:05:44

Hello Marydoll, sorry to hear you’ve been in hospital again. My current referral is to respiratory medicine. My cardiologist did another treadmill test which confirmed what I’ve been telling the docs for 3 years. I’m increasingly breathless on inclines. Lockdown meant no lung function tests but they’re now available again. I did one in January (8 month wait). As a result I’m referred to a respiratory consultant, first appointment in June.
The cardiologist suspects either the RA or the methotrexate I took to modify it between age 48-65 caused the lung problems.

Marydoll Mon 06-Feb-23 09:20:58

I already have COPD, so Methotrexate was a no no. Now my biologics have been stopped! sad

I have been waiting for a referral back to Respiratory consultant, since Dec 2021! No luck there.

My acute breathless, constant dizziness and nausea, leading to an urgent admission, was due to being on a high dose of an unsuitable heart medication for 15 months! It has been a close call.
I cannot fault the outstanding treatment given in the cardiology unit, for which I am very grateful.

However, onward and upwards. I hope you get sorted soon. RA is a hellish condition.💐