Gransnet forums

Health

Has anyone joined the Zoe Programme?

(90 Posts)
NotSpaghetti Thu 23-Feb-23 07:43:54

This is about looking at your gut how your body responds to food. It is part of Tim Spector's research which many will be familiar with. I'm interested in this ZOE program but wondered if anyone had been part of this?

I do need to loose some weight but my main motivation is maintaining my heart, lowering BP and preventing stroke.

Shropshirelass Fri 19-May-23 08:18:00

I removed all grains and processed oils and foods from my diet about 4 years ago. No bread, rice, pasta, beans, pulses or vegetable and seed oils. I improved almost immediately. Now eat fatty meats, cheese, eggs, dairy and leafy greens. Never hungry and no indigestion. Win win on low carb/ Keto for me.

tickingbird Fri 19-May-23 09:10:09

growstuff

I understand what you’re saying re insulin. However, I think the Zoe programme is far more complex than that. For instance, now I have my results and my 50+ foods, I am recommended to eat Greek full fat yoghurt but with added fruit and nuts. I eat oats (steel cut now) but have a couple of tablespoons of almond butter 10 mins before and it stops the spike - supposedly. I have just had a Bircher for breakfast which I found on the Zoe instagram - it is mostly oats, kefir and Greek yoghurt with added fruit and nuts.

I think the difficulty for those that aren’t in the programme is realising our response to food is unique and the programme is different for everyone. From reading some of the reviews it’s clear that many people are surprised to find that what they believed was good to eat turns out to be just the opposite. I think that’s why it’s expensive as it is very individualised. There’s also a lot of cooking from scratch which can only be a good thing. I’m only a week in so time will tell.

growstuff Fri 19-May-23 09:29:14

tickingbird I've known for years that I can't eat oats or any cereal, bread, pasta, pastry, rice, etc. I'm T2 diabetic, so they not only spike my blood glucose, but my lack of insulin response keeps the blood glucose levels high for too long.

I've been interested in Zoe for ages and watch Tim Spector's podcasts. I was interested to find out what the programme is about because I'd love to be able to cut down my medication and control my diabetes even better than I already do.

I agree with you that many people don't really understand what they're eating, but I wanted to know if the programme offers anything I'm not already doing. The blood tests are not really any different from those for plasma glucose and triglycerides, which I already have. I understand there's a poo test, which assesses gut microbiome.

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my queries.

growstuff Fri 19-May-23 09:31:48

Shropshirelass

I removed all grains and processed oils and foods from my diet about 4 years ago. No bread, rice, pasta, beans, pulses or vegetable and seed oils. I improved almost immediately. Now eat fatty meats, cheese, eggs, dairy and leafy greens. Never hungry and no indigestion. Win win on low carb/ Keto for me.

I'm curious. What did you improve? I never have indigestion or feel hungry. I'm not overweight. The only thing I'd like to improve is my blood glucose control, but my pancreas doesn't work effectively. I exercise (or at least move a lot) after I've eaten, which helps the muscles to use any excess glucose, but I don't know what else I could do.

FionaG Fri 19-May-23 13:12:41

Just saw this on the Zoe FB page, the review says everything I think too especially the daily lessons which although sometimes stating the obvious really make you think about food and nutrition.
I just want to share this review I posted on Trustpilot about Zoe ~

THIS IS A GLOWING TESTIMONIAL AS ZOE…

This is a glowing testimonial as Zoe has worked miracles for me! I have been absolutely thrilled with my physical transformation due to following this personalised nutrition program that has changed my life in just the first 6 weeks ~ with still 2½ more months of support to come! They provided tests for blood sugar, blood fat, and microbiome assessment; the results then were used to generate a very specific set of foods from which to create my own meals. Their app provides daily encouragement and gives detailed advice, based on scientific evidence/papers (that they mention by name). This allows me to increase my awareness of healthier options for my food intake as well as how to mitigate any sugar or fat problems presented by my particular body system's capabilities. I have been meticulous in following the recommendations and, by doing so, I now have ALL NORMAL cholesterol levels! I’m also approaching my 'ideal' weight, have a BMI at a healthy level, and look forward to eating the Zoe way the rest of my life! The food I make is delicious and it's easy to stick to the program, too, as I am never hungry. Being able to adjust what I am about to consume, using the tools from the app, has meant instant changes of my meal contents so that I keep my scores high. This has clearly improved my whole outlook on health. I believe that EVERY PERSON would benefit from the Zoe program, because knowing their own personal information would allow them to be able to encourage their own health and happiness. I fervently hope this will become available through GPs because it would mean less money spent on illness and symptoms with a healthier population in general. What’s not to love??!!

It must be noted that the program costs money, which pays for the tests and the support. However, it is also possible to listen to the podcasts and/or read the transcripts, read various books, and figure out how to shift intake without paying... but the program itself has been worth every penny to me because it did all this work to test and give me answers, drew the conclusions and now provides the helpful hints and food lists, and gives me daily assistance plus access to coaches when I want specific answers.

Date of experience: May 17, 2023

foxie48 Fri 19-May-23 19:40:06

One of the GPs at my surgery is doing Zoe. He's hoping to use the experience to help patients manage their weight and other health issues.

growstuff Sat 20-May-23 01:37:32

foxie48

One of the GPs at my surgery is doing Zoe. He's hoping to use the experience to help patients manage their weight and other health issues.

I thought the programme wasn't about losing weight. Which other health issues? I must admit I find this aspect a bit vague. I think there's a danger that GPs could recommend a Zoe-type diet and overlook symptoms caused by more serious issues and neglect the importance of exercise.

If the "unique selling point" of Zoe is that it offers a personalised diet plan, how could a GP do that with limited resources?

The blood tests for blood sugar and lipids (fats) are relatively cheap and common anyway. The current conventional guidelines for treatment already eating more veg, unrefined carbs, less red meat and saturated fats, etc. It seems that Zoe's big strength is that it offers a personalised plan with individual coaching/support, which no GP could do.

I'm not knocking Zoe because I think Tim Spector talks a lot of sense, but it does seem to me that it's a very expensive way of finding out something which is already in the public domain.

The ideas about the gut biome are in their infancy. Undoubtedly, there is truth in it, but unless people's biome is assessed accurately and scientifically, there will be hundreds of companies which jump on the biotics bandwagon. And for what end? The health benefits seem a bit vague. Improving the gut biome is unlikely to do much for somebody with a failing pancreas.

I guess if people are already stuffing their faces with doughnuts, chocolates and loads of ultra-processed foods, they already know they're not eating very healthily, but something is holding them back from making changes.

I'm a little disappointed that Kings and Spector didn't stick to the science rather than becoming involved in yet another expensive diet programme.

foxie48 Sat 20-May-23 09:08:32

Growstuff Zoe is a diet plan but it's not a weight loss programme, (there is a big difference) I haven't joined it to lose weight and neither has a friend. If you have listened to the podcasts you will know it's about improving health not losing weight. However, many people with unhealthy diets are over weight, if they improve the quality of their diet and eat according to their biology rather than following fad WEIGHT loss programmes, they do lose weight and because they have changed their eating habits, they are more likely to stay a healthy weight. I don't know why, but you seem to have an agenda, no idea what perhaps you'd like to explain?
I'd been following the Zoe podcasts for a while, I'm mid 70's very active for my age, have a normal BMI, have mild hypertension, not pre-diabetic etc just interested in trying to stay as healthy as I can for as long as I can. I think that's a good thing. Zoe has changed the way I eat but not massively as I have always cooked from scratch and I'm pleased I started the programme, I'm also very pleased to have my data used for research. I don't have a problem paying for the programme and if my GP finds things he'd want to share with his patients, then surely that is a good thing. Most GPs don't know much about nutrition but if my GP surgery is anything to go by, many patients would benefit from eating less processed food (which is fundermental to Zoe) fwiw, I'm spending less on food than I did as I'm eating less meat and more cheap beans!

foxie48 Sat 20-May-23 10:06:33

I get the impression that you think Dr Specter has sold out whereas I think he's found a way of funding his research. No-one is made to pay for the programme but anyone can access the podcasts and Instagram feed completely foc, there's lots of recipes too. If the free stuff helps to change people's eating for the better surely that's got to be beneficial? It's certainly what got me interested and several friends, who have no intention of buying into the programme use the free stuff (as do you). The paying public are a fantastic research resource, I'm happily giving lots of data on a daily basis!

ZOE is the personalised nutrition company that runs the world’s largest nutrition-science study and the ZOE Health Study (formerly ZOE COVID Study). The funds will be used to rapidly scale operations in the UK, enabling ZOE to meet the demand of its 250,000-strong waitlist and expand its research as it works to improve the health of millions.

In 2022, ZOE has launched its personalised nutrition programme in the UK, quadrupled monthly sales, hired over 100 employees, reached a waitlist of 250,000 people, and launched the UK’s number one nutrition podcast, ZOE Science and Nutrition podcast. The company’s valuation has increased by 940% since its first round of funding in 2017 and is now valued at £209 million.

It is vital we invest in health science now, to move us to a world where we’re focused on prevention of disease rather than just treating it. £25 million is the kind of money as a scientist I could only dream about and it's great to have investors that understand the importance of our work."

Professor Tim Spector, co-founder of ZOE

Rather than including more institutional investors in this round, ZOE plans to build on this success by inviting its community of over two million to invest via Crowdcube. ZOE is opening this opportunity to its community because it believes it can build even better science with members more deeply participating in its journey and because it wants members to share in the company’s future success.

In addition to scaling the company’s operations, ZOE is also committing to furthering its understanding of nutrition, the microbiome, sleep, mood, activity and other factors that affect long-term health. The company will continue to publish groundbreaking scientific research that is available to the public. It is also committed to maintaining and running the ZOE Health Study, offering a greater variety of health and lifestyle studies advocated by its contributors and scientists.

The ZOE community will have exclusive access to participate on the 13th of December 2022, followed by the Crowdcube community starting on the 14th of December 2022 before launching to the public. Anyone in the UK and EU can invest and become an owner for as little as £10, at the same share price as ZOE’s private investors.

Brigidsdaughter Tue 08-Aug-23 16:25:02

NotSpaghetti foxie48 FionaG

I posted about being on the Zoe Predict months ago but couldn't find my post and came accross this thread.
There's little to add. I've just gone over the 4 month point and try to log as in the first months. It's the best thing I've done for myself. It's never going to be funded by my GP but my Endo at the hospital was very pleased I'm involved.
It's lots of money but I'm 67, Hashimoto's hypothyroid, plus lots more. Slowly, slowly, my health is improving. My HBAIC is at 35 despite still carring excell weight and my Cholesterol will hopefully hurry up and reduce too (it has started.)

All I'd add is apart from looking up podcasts by Tim Spector and co., I read a really wonderful book by Jesse Enchausepe called 'The Glucose Revolution'. It's so easy to read and gives the reader a good understanding of glucose without needing a medical background. I have TS's books too, excellent but a bit harder to stay with.

Abitbarmy Tue 08-Aug-23 17:44:19

Hi Brigidsdaughter, good to hear you’re doing so well after joining the Zoe programme. I’ve joined it and am on my second day, all good so far! Looking forward to my results,

foxie48 Tue 08-Aug-23 18:12:22

Brigidsdaughter so pleased you have also had good results. I'm six months in and I've had three friends start with Zoe on the basis of how well they think I am looking! And yes, I do look and feel well. I'm also sleeping a lot better, today my hairdresser commented on the excellent condition of my hair. I find it quite difficult to explain the approach to nutrition because people seem to hold strong views already and really don't want to have their ideas challenged. My neighbour lost a lot of weight following the keto diet but she's put it all back on so she's also now doing Zoe. fwiw I didn't need to lose much weight but I've lost a couple of kg from around my middle and I'm very pleased with that.

Abitbarmy Tue 08-Aug-23 18:36:09

Like you Foxie I’m not bothered particularly about losing weight, just want to be as healthy as I can be. I agree it’s difficult to explain the benefits to some people, understandable I suppose when we’ve been given conflicting info on stuff in the past.

M0nica Wed 09-Aug-23 18:40:23

DD did all the assessments for the Zoe eating plan, but then backed out because of the cost