Gransnet forums

Health

Tooth whitening on old teeth

(32 Posts)
Tennisnan Tue 28-Feb-23 07:22:25

Dgd asked me "Nanny why are your teeth so yellow?" Has anyone tried tooth whitening products on your old knashers? Did it work? I read somewhere they go yellow because the top surface wears away. If that's true surely whitening products at dentists or home won't work?

Shelflife Tue 28-Feb-23 14:38:43

I would speak to your dentist. Don't think it's a sound idea to try home teeth whitening kits. Be careful!

Wyllow3 Tue 28-Feb-23 14:46:15

When we get older our enamel thins and thus yellowing is a result of staining.

Also, the exposed roots of teeth with shrinking gums are not really as enamel protected. It's not wise to use bleaching products as it can weaken the enamel further. Thats what my dentist said.

There are some good toothpastes that help gently, and have an electric toothbrush, and above all

avoid food or drink (or smoking) that is likely to stain teeth which may be tedious - but works.

www.bupa.co.uk/newsroom/ourviews/teeth-staining-foods

Farzanah Tue 28-Feb-23 15:26:34

The main cause of teeth yellowing in older people is age and this as you say Wyllow caused by thinning of enamel, and the dentin (interior) of teeth showing through. If you inherit good teeth from your parents (ha ha not false ones) you may be lucky and your teeth may not discolour much.

The last thing I would use on my already thinning enamel is abrasive “whitening” toothpastes, or bleaching, even done professionally at the dentist. I don’t want the enamel to be further weakened. It’s a good money earner for dentists I imagine.

I visit a hygienist regularly, and I guess if my teeth become badly discoloured would consider veneers, at least at the front.

Palmtree Tue 28-Feb-23 16:45:06

I always remember my grandmother having yellowing teeth and now, oh dear, it's me. Im always told that getting them professionally cleaned can cause them to become very sensitive which is something I can't face either. I do think this runs in families as lots of people are luckier and have naturally white teeth. I do like my tea and red wine though.

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 28-Feb-23 17:37:26

Some people naturally have whiter teeth than others. Mine certainly aren’t yellow but about ten years ago I had a whitening treatment done by the dentist. It was expensive and I really didn’t notice much difference, not enough to justify the cost. ‘Celebrity’ white teeth would look very artificial on an older person. Some shades of lipstick make teeth look whiter.

marymary62 Wed 01-Mar-23 14:35:34

Don’t try DIY stuff as it may damage your teeth. A good electric toothbrush and salt can get rid of staining. Talk to your dentist about professional whitening but be prepared for expense and pain - the whitening system can be very painful on sensitive teeth. I did it all about 8 years ago (oh vanity!) and it was worth it for me then, but not sure I’d do it again !

Wyllow3 Wed 01-Mar-23 15:16:48

I'm sure the gleaming white teeth on screen are veneers.

Swapping red for white wine wasnt too hard....grin

It was harder to let go all the red staining berries but its nice to have teeth that look reasonable when you get that morning look in the mirror.......

Wyllow3 Wed 01-Mar-23 15:19:13

Its an age thing as well as good/fortunate family teeth. Mine not so good. But the difference 5 years has made was noticeable before I embarked on slight diet change. We've got gransnetters from 60's to 80's and at the 60 end of the spectrum dentists bleaching may be viable.

Poppyred Wed 01-Mar-23 16:24:05

Your dentist may offer teeth whitening, if he or she thinks your teeth/gums are suitable. It involves making moulds of your teeth and then using whitening stuff in the moulds for about 2 weeks. You then use it about once a week. You can also buy the stuff online once you’ve had the moles done.
Expect to pay up to £500 - depending on where you live. I’ve had mine done and think it’s well worth it. Good idea to use sensitive toothpaste to keep sensitivity to a minimum.

Poppyred Wed 01-Mar-23 16:24:40

Moulds

BlueBelle Wed 01-Mar-23 18:26:29

Those white white almost hue straight across look worse than yeowing ones I think
I don’t like mine much now but they are pretty old so what can I expect

M0nica Wed 01-Mar-23 19:21:29

I have had both teeth whitening treatment, done by my dentist and a composite coating put on the worst brown teeth right at the front. This (commercial) link tells you all about it. www.bupa.co.uk/dental/dental-care/treatments/composite-bonding

pen50 Fri 03-Mar-23 11:41:00

I remember being in a room full of elderly Americans in 2002 and wondering why they all had such obviously false teeth. Then I realised they had - underneath it all - real teeth turned unnaturally white with veneers and bleach. I thought they looked ridiculous. 21 years on my teeth are pale beige but reasonably healthy and appropriate to my age and wrinkles. I'm not giving up tea, coffee and red wine just so my gnashers can glow in the dark.

nanna8 Fri 03-Mar-23 11:45:48

I’d like to have whiter teeth (mine have gone a bit yellow) but my dentist charges $4,000 so I passed on that. I brush using an electric toothbrush and a whitening toothpaste but it hasn’t made an iota of difference.

faye17 Fri 03-Mar-23 11:58:43

Poppyred
Your dentist may offer teeth whitening, if he or she thinks your teeth/gums are suitable. It involves making moulds of your teeth and then using whitening stuff in the moulds for about 2 weeks. You then use it about once a week. You can also buy the stuff online once you’ve had the moles done.
Expect to pay up to £500 - depending on where you live. I’ve had mine done and think it’s well worth it. Good idea to use sensitive toothpaste to keep sensitivity to a minimum

Same here Poppy

Its a bit of an outlay but the moulds are yours so you just need the whitener from time to time. I found it really brightened and whitened up my teeth but not unnaturally so. When you consider how expensive hair treatments/facials/creams/make up can be I think its worth the money to have my teeth looking just as well.
I got my moulds about five years ago and with the whitening products the cost was £450
The whitening tubes cost £15

labradorlinda33 Fri 03-Mar-23 12:11:21

Faye17.....do you get your whitening tubes from your dentist? I have to pay £50 for 1 syringe!!

faye17 Fri 03-Mar-23 12:27:36

Yes Ll
It's Philips Zoom teeth whitener
£15 per tube

MerylStreep Fri 03-Mar-23 12:33:26

I had the mould made through my dentist. That was about 5 years ago and was £300. They are worth the money.

4allweknow Fri 03-Mar-23 12:36:33

Yellowing is from years and years of staining. Do not try over the counter whitening kits, discuss with a dentist. Also really consider how you would look with whitened teeth with skin and hair also changed over the years.

widgeon3 Fri 03-Mar-23 12:44:48

My lovely orthodox dentist was away so when I lost a filling the practice sent me to one of his colleagues who was far more interested in selling me cosmetic products than replacing the filling

Tipped back in his chair and mouth wide open he asked why I did not consider the procedures which would make me look far better
I explained I was well into my 80s ( having a multitude of wrinkles through having lived in the tropics), with teeth and fillings of a variety of colours , as I had been forced to resort to more basic dentists in my travels. All I wanted was to retain functional teeth
Still the pressure continued as he pointed out the glowing white even teeth of his very young assistant, Eventually I got the cavity filled competently by the same man who had obviously been trained as a proper dentist but he was very persistent. I suppose he got a good bonus by persuading people it was a necessary procedure

faye17 Fri 03-Mar-23 12:47:06

They're all very good at that these days Widgeon
Under management pressure I guess

Farzanah Fri 03-Mar-23 13:19:15

yellowing is from years and years of staining
I think you will find forallweknow that this is not necessarily the case for those who visit their dental hygienist regularly.
It is in fact a normal sign of aging, the extent largely genetic, and it is due to the enamel becoming thinner and porous and the dentin (a yellow colour) therefore showing through.

LizIlkeston Fri 03-Mar-23 13:26:21

A friend spent 500 on whitening at age 62. The teeth are a bit whiter but the line where the gum is is the original colour so she can do a bit smile! As others have said the enamel is thin so it doesn't work so well. I agree about lipstick colour improving.

Farzanah Fri 03-Mar-23 13:38:50

widgeon3 You are absolutely correct. I told my dentist they were turning into beauticians. It’s all about increasing business for profit US style.
Off thread, but those who advocate paying a nominal fee for a GP appointment, are encouraging primary health care down this road too.