Gransnet forums

Health

Tooth whitening on old teeth

(32 Posts)
marymary62 Wed 01-Mar-23 14:35:34

Don’t try DIY stuff as it may damage your teeth. A good electric toothbrush and salt can get rid of staining. Talk to your dentist about professional whitening but be prepared for expense and pain - the whitening system can be very painful on sensitive teeth. I did it all about 8 years ago (oh vanity!) and it was worth it for me then, but not sure I’d do it again !

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 28-Feb-23 17:37:26

Some people naturally have whiter teeth than others. Mine certainly aren’t yellow but about ten years ago I had a whitening treatment done by the dentist. It was expensive and I really didn’t notice much difference, not enough to justify the cost. ‘Celebrity’ white teeth would look very artificial on an older person. Some shades of lipstick make teeth look whiter.

Palmtree Tue 28-Feb-23 16:45:06

I always remember my grandmother having yellowing teeth and now, oh dear, it's me. Im always told that getting them professionally cleaned can cause them to become very sensitive which is something I can't face either. I do think this runs in families as lots of people are luckier and have naturally white teeth. I do like my tea and red wine though.

Farzanah Tue 28-Feb-23 15:26:34

The main cause of teeth yellowing in older people is age and this as you say Wyllow caused by thinning of enamel, and the dentin (interior) of teeth showing through. If you inherit good teeth from your parents (ha ha not false ones) you may be lucky and your teeth may not discolour much.

The last thing I would use on my already thinning enamel is abrasive “whitening” toothpastes, or bleaching, even done professionally at the dentist. I don’t want the enamel to be further weakened. It’s a good money earner for dentists I imagine.

I visit a hygienist regularly, and I guess if my teeth become badly discoloured would consider veneers, at least at the front.

Wyllow3 Tue 28-Feb-23 14:46:15

When we get older our enamel thins and thus yellowing is a result of staining.

Also, the exposed roots of teeth with shrinking gums are not really as enamel protected. It's not wise to use bleaching products as it can weaken the enamel further. Thats what my dentist said.

There are some good toothpastes that help gently, and have an electric toothbrush, and above all

avoid food or drink (or smoking) that is likely to stain teeth which may be tedious - but works.

www.bupa.co.uk/newsroom/ourviews/teeth-staining-foods

Shelflife Tue 28-Feb-23 14:38:43

I would speak to your dentist. Don't think it's a sound idea to try home teeth whitening kits. Be careful!

Tennisnan Tue 28-Feb-23 07:22:25

Dgd asked me "Nanny why are your teeth so yellow?" Has anyone tried tooth whitening products on your old knashers? Did it work? I read somewhere they go yellow because the top surface wears away. If that's true surely whitening products at dentists or home won't work?