Gransnet forums

Health

Night Nurse

(34 Posts)
MawtheMerrier Sat 04-Mar-23 17:32:26

I don’t do sleeping pills - I had some prescribed after Paw died but abandoned them after two days because I just felt zonked.
However last night I simply couldn’t settle and was still awake in the early hours. Round about 4 I looked out a bottle of Night Nurse left over from flu and necked 5 ml - no more!
I slept until after 8 (!) let Rosie out, took a mug of tea back to bed with me and promptly fell asleep again until 11 !! I tried to sit up to read but couldn’t hold my iPad which slipped off the bed and all I wanted to do was lie flat.
Whouda thought something you can buy over the counter could have such a dramatic effect.
Who needs drugs ?

FannyCornforth Sun 05-Mar-23 15:21:01

Don’t tell anyone, but I’ve got several bottles of morphine 🤫

Ohmother Sun 05-Mar-23 16:46:18

A favourite of mine when I’m feeling overtired and no work next day. I always have a bottle in…told my neighbour about it and I think she’s addicted now 🫣

Patsy70 Sun 05-Mar-23 17:01:45

I haven’t tried Night Nurse, and certainly won’t now, but antihistamines make me sleep and I feel rather groggy the following day.

Chestnut Sun 05-Mar-23 17:46:46

I think the test of any sleep remedy is how you feel the next day. I've had one or two things that knock me sideways and make me nod off as soon as I sit down (the next day). I can't cope with that, it has to leave my system by the following morning.

ExperiencedNotOld Sun 05-Mar-23 20:03:32

Ultimately Night Nurse is a cold remedy and will contain things to quiet a cough etc. I really do think taking it when you haven’t a cold is irresponsible.
I’d say learn to relax and use lavender oil.

Jaxjacky Sun 05-Mar-23 20:27:15

Nurofen cold&flu plus Sudafed are also being looked at for possible withdrawal, better stock up with lavender oil then.

ExperiencedNotOld Sun 05-Mar-23 22:08:21

Certainly it’d be better for you. I had to re-teach myself to sleep after the menopause. Routine is key.

farmgran Mon 20-Mar-23 07:50:20

We don't have night nurse in NZ. What does it have in it? It sounds very strong! We don't have Nytol either.