Gransnet forums

Health

Postural hypotension

(11 Posts)
Katyj Sun 05-Mar-23 10:20:37

Hi. Does anyone have postural hypotension? My mum has recently been put on a low dose bp tablet, this has helped with her high bp but when I took her standing bp it was 92 / 52 I rang the Dr he is sending a nurse out next week to see her.
Is this dangerously low ? She has had several falls in the past, and I’m anxious about this happening again.

MawtheMerrier Sun 05-Mar-23 11:37:58

Sounds very low to me. Is she dehydrated?
Does it only happen when she stands up after lying or sitting down? Or at other times too?
Dehydration can make you feel lightheaded and dizzy and can even cause you to faint.

BlueBelle Sun 05-Mar-23 11:41:11

Low blood pressure is a reading of less than 90/60mmHg. It does not always cause symptoms, but you may need treatment if it does
Copied

I d definitely get medical advice

Katyj Sun 05-Mar-23 12:14:36

Thank you ladies. She could be dehydrated because she only seems to drink tea. She’s has heart problems, angina, and has had two small heart attacks in the last year. Her blood pressure when sitting is 166 / 89 then drops suddenly.
She really shouldn’t be living alone now, but is flatly refusing a care home. Trouble is it’s making me so anxious now 😵‍💫

Marydoll Sun 05-Mar-23 12:19:40

This is exactly what has been happening to me.

I spent four days in hospital a few weeks ago, because of this. It was my heart medication which was causing it.
Fortunately, it continued to happen when I was in hospital, so my clinicians could see what was happening.

Unfortunately my new heart meds are doing the same. Your mum really needs to see a GP sooner, rather than later.

Marydoll Sun 05-Mar-23 12:20:25

Dehydration has nothing to do with it in my case. I drink plenty of fluids.

MerylStreep Sun 05-Mar-23 12:27:28

My Dr counts tea and coffee as in the daily intake of fluids, so do most commentators on the web.

Katyj Sun 05-Mar-23 12:28:52

That’s the interesting Marydoll. She has new medication from last time she had a heart attack. This new BP medication isn’t doing much either. Have to see what the nurse says next week. Just hope she doesn’t fall in the meantime.

karmalady Sun 05-Mar-23 12:39:56

It is not dangerous as such op but it is low and it is good to be aware of the dizzyness that can accompany, even standing up from a chair. The heart has not enough force or strength in the pumping mechanism and the force of blood is not powerful enough to enter all areas as in capillaries and brain

She needs some medical attention and in the meantime needs to change posture slowly

Marydoll Sun 05-Mar-23 20:03:15

Katyj

That’s the interesting Marydoll. She has new medication from last time she had a heart attack. This new BP medication isn’t doing much either. Have to see what the nurse says next week. Just hope she doesn’t fall in the meantime.

The falls are certainly worrying, Katyj. Unfortunately there can be so many reasons for teh dizziness, if tou have a number of comorbidities.

Please persist, if you don't get anywhere. I have been like this for the last eight months, dismissed by several GPs for making a fuss.
I saw a new GP and was admitted to hospital, within days, after she contacted a cardiologist. The meds were actually totally unsuitable for me and slowing down my heart.

V3ra Sun 05-Mar-23 23:30:36

My Dad had dizzy spells and a couple of falls when he went from lying or sitting to standing. His standing blood pressure was too low.
He was already on blood pressure tablets so his GP halved the strength.
After a couple of weeks his sitting to standing readings were the same and he's had no problems since.