Gransnet forums

Health

Supplements to improve vision

(22 Posts)
Glorianny Sun 12-Mar-23 22:04:03

I've seen adverts which claim supplements can improve your eyesight. I wondered if anyone has tried this and what degree of success they had.

MayBee70 Sun 12-Mar-23 22:20:37

They tested this on one of the Michael Mosley programmes and they found that supplements containing zeaxanthin, meso zeaxanthin and lutein did help. I started using Macushield but I found a cheaper version called Macusave that had the same ingredients. I don’t know if they help or not but I’m scared to stop taking them.

Chestnut Mon 13-Mar-23 00:02:43

I have neuropathy which seriously affects my balance, therefore I rely totally on my eyesight for balance. I have been taking Bilberry (2 per day) and Retinex (1 per day) which contains natural lutein and zeaxanthin, both from Healthspan who produce high quality supplements. I have no idea if they work (how would you know?) but my eyes seem to be okay.
PS: Just noticed the Bilberry is out of stock until July. Bad news. I'll have to get some elsewhere.

V3ra Mon 13-Mar-23 00:21:50

I've been taking Retinex from Healthspan for many years. I started after my mother-in-law was diagnosed with macular degeneration.
Boots opticians sell a similar supplement and were very interested when I told them what I take.

I can't say it's improved my vision as such, and I've worn glasses since I was three years old, but my prescription barely changes from one optician's appointment to the next nowadays.

One thing they have commented on is that my eyes are very healthy, which is actually my main reason for taking the Retinex.
At my last appointment I had a 3D scan of the eyeballs and it showed the macular is in good condition.
I'm happy with that.

HughJackman Mon 13-Mar-23 04:02:09

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

MrsKen33 Mon 13-Mar-23 05:37:05

DH’s family have a history of AMD. Many years ago his optician recommended iCaps and drinking a dark fruit juice, grape for example ever day. So far, and DH is now 77 his eyes are perfectly clear.

Joseanne Mon 13-Mar-23 08:19:26

Likewise carrot juice MrsKen33.

FishandChips15 Mon 13-Mar-23 09:07:07

Maybe70 I have been taking Macushield Gold for years now and they are helping. Not cheap, but if you get them in Boots they do an offer of 3 for the price of 2.

The optician also suggested eating dark berries and vegetables.

Glorianny Mon 13-Mar-23 10:53:45

Thanks everyone.
There is a promotional video around which is claiming all sorts of benefits for a supplement including reducing cataracts. I have the beginning of them and wondered if it was worth trying.

Chestnut Mon 13-Mar-23 11:07:58

I can't see how anyone can say whether something works unfortunately. You just pay your money and take your chance. All anyone can say is that their eyes seem to be okay on whatever they're using. Check the ingredients because most will probably have the same ingredients i.e. lutein. What is the supplement which reduces cataracts? I have the start of them too.

MayBee70 Mon 13-Mar-23 12:16:52

The important ingredients are lutein, zeaxanthin and meso zeaxanthin. The meso one is missing from some supplements.

Elegran Mon 13-Mar-23 12:26:35

Tesco have Macusan.

V3ra Mon 13-Mar-23 12:41:12

www.healthspan.co.uk/eyes#t=Eye-Health-Articles&numberOfResults=15

There's a lot of interesting information in this link, in particular:

Guard against blue light exposure.

What to eat to maintain good eyesight.

Farzanah Mon 13-Mar-23 13:50:29

Chestnut

I can't see how anyone can say whether something works unfortunately. You just pay your money and take your chance. All anyone can say is that their eyes seem to be okay on whatever they're using. Check the ingredients because most will probably have the same ingredients i.e. lutein. What is the supplement which reduces cataracts? I have the start of them too.

I think it is worth taking a look on the RNIB site which has information about controlled trials for supplements and eye health before starting on them. They may not be useful for everyone.

I wouldn’t depend on advice from a commercial company selling the products.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 13-Mar-23 14:46:26

My optician recommended Macushield as there is AMD in my immediate family.

As much as I dislike Amazon, I have it delivered monthly and it works out cheaper than elsewhere.

MayBee70 Mon 13-Mar-23 18:29:00

I listened to a podcast about which vitamins to take as we get older and the doctor on it said she just recommended that people take a good quality multi vitamin each day. However, she did say that there was one supplement that she did feel we needed to take but wouldn’t say what it was, which made the podcast a bit of a waste of time. But if I had to have a bet on it it wouldn’t surprise me if she was referring to something like Macushield. I know when I worked at the doctors we used to prescribe I Caps but I assume that’s the sort of medication that people now have to buy themselves.

Glorianny Mon 13-Mar-23 19:16:08

Chestnut

It's a product called Visi-soothe which makes a lot of claims. It's only available from the USA I'm highly suspicious of the claims.

Chestnut Mon 13-Mar-23 23:45:36

I've seen many such things produced in the USA and they are usually expensive. Also, it's impossible to establish the quality of the product or accuracy of their claims, so I've never actually ordered anything like that.

Gin Tue 14-Mar-23 00:12:26

I have wet macular degeneration and all the fellow sufferers that I meet take products containing Lutein. You can eat vast amounts of broccoli instead! I gather dark green leaf vegetables contain it.

shysal Tue 14-Mar-23 08:07:14

I have been taking Macushield for years, since seeing the Michael Moseley programme. I have no way of knowing if they do any good, but my eyes are healthy. I buy 90-day packs (not Gold) from Ebay for around £20 or less, much cheaper than Boots.
macushield

Farzanah Tue 14-Mar-23 09:25:46

If these products have a strong scientific evidence base, not just anecdotal, I don’t understand why they aren’t available on the NHS? It would save money long term. Has anyone asked their optician about controlled trials? I’d be interested.

MayBee70 Tue 14-Mar-23 15:11:57

Farzanah

If these products have a strong scientific evidence base, not just anecdotal, I don’t understand why they aren’t available on the NHS? It would save money long term. Has anyone asked their optician about controlled trials? I’d be interested.

We used to prescribe I Caps but they drastically reduced the sort of things that could be prescribed. And I would imagine they were only given to people that already had problems with their eyes. I noticed when I had my last eye check that Boots sold Macushield in their opticians. If I could only take one of the many supplements that I have every day my eye vitamins would be the one I’d keep.