Gransnet forums

Health

Allergies in children

(16 Posts)
Gin Fri 17-Mar-23 12:47:35

There is an interesting article on the BBC News website about changing attitudes to introducing foods into a baby’s diet. It says exposing babies at an early age to foods can stop their immune systems rejectingd them if they are not encountered until the child is older as is the current practice with peanuts. Giving foods to babies as soon as they can sit up and not choke may prevent the increase instances of dangerous allergies.

It reminds me of bringing up my forever hungry babies who were fed the same foods as we ate as soon as they were able. We had a Mouli that ground the food up beautifully. I think this was at four months or there abouts.

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 17-Mar-23 12:55:21

It used to be the norm - and we heard very little about food allergies back then.

Fleurpepper Fri 17-Mar-23 12:56:41

Another factor is over sanitizing and obsessive cleanliness, + C Section.

Shelflife Fri 17-Mar-23 12:57:08

My children were give very small amounts of pureed food from about 3 and a half months. On the other hand my GC were on milk only until 6 months of age, fortunately they do not have food allergies. However in my opinion they were hungry!! but my DD stuck to the advice she had been given and I kept quiet!

sodapop Fri 17-Mar-23 13:05:37

C section Fleurpepper ?

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 17-Mar-23 13:09:47

Yes, whatever difference does that make to allergies?

Blondiescot Fri 17-Mar-23 13:54:12

Some studies have shown that children born by c-section can be more likely to develop food allergies, supposedly because they're not exposed to the same level of bacteria as they would in the birth canal. However, there are other studies which refute this. Going by personal experience, both of my children were born by emergency c-section and neither has any allergies whatsoever.

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 17-Mar-23 13:55:21

Same with mine.

Wheniwasyourage Fri 17-Mar-23 14:02:56

One of my DGC was born vaginally and had small quantities of peanut butter at an early age, but has varied and serious food allergies. It may work for some, which is good, but not for all, unfortunately.

Sparklefizz Fri 17-Mar-23 14:25:09

sodapop

C section Fleurpepper ?

The mother's gut bacteria is passed on to the baby during passage through the birth canal which populates the baby's bowel.

A baby born by C-section doesn't receive this, although breast milk will help the baby's immune system.

Sparklefizz Fri 17-Mar-23 14:26:10

Sorry, Blondiescot, didn't see your message before I posted.

Fleurpepper Fri 17-Mar-23 15:19:53

Sparklefizz

sodapop

C section Fleurpepper ?

The mother's gut bacteria is passed on to the baby during passage through the birth canal which populates the baby's bowel.

A baby born by C-section doesn't receive this, although breast milk will help the baby's immune system.

Thank you Sparklefizz. this, exactly.

HowVeryDareYou2 Fri 17-Mar-23 15:36:41

My 2nd son was started on pureed fruits and veg from 4 weeks old, as he was a very big baby (10lbs 13 born) and always hungry. Not giving babies food until they're 6 months old (as is the thing nowadays) seems daft to me.

Fleurpepper Fri 17-Mar-23 16:29:27

Is that your opinion, or based on medical research?

NanaDana Fri 17-Mar-23 16:59:47

I remember when I was a child back in the 50's, a woman (Mrs Newham) in our street was reported as having hay-fever, and it was so unusual we thought it quite exotic! Now it seems much more common, and I do wonder why. There is no doubt that allergies of all kinds are on the rise. A staggering 44% of UK adults now suffer from at least one allergy. Also, the percentages of children diagnosed with allergic rhinitis and eczema have both trebled over the last 30 years. What concerns me in particular is that despite all this, no-one appears to have come up with a definitive, convincing explanation as to why this is. There are theories, yes, but it's still a grey area. Worrying.

Sparklefizz Fri 17-Mar-23 17:44:02

There are conditions called SIBO (Small Intestine Bacterial Overgrowth) and Candida, and medications such as antibiotics and antacids/proton pump inhibitors and the Pill change the balance of the gut flora unless probiotics are introduced to repopulate the bowel. When the gut flora is changed, it allows the bad bacteria and/or yeasts to colonise which cause all sorts of unpleasant symptoms such as IBS, allergies and intolerances, UTIs, etc.

Obviously there's a place for antibiotics which are a wonder drug, but when children are prescribed these frequently, they have an effect. I speak from experience - antibiotics saved my life aged 6, but I have suffered from a range of allergies ever since, and in my childhood no one (or certainly not my parents) understood about probiotics and gut flora.

I learnt this the hard way. sad