Gransnet forums

Health

Fish oil supplements

(23 Posts)
Shinamae Tue 28-Mar-23 12:49:07

I do take magnesium supplements and vitamin D supplements, but I seldom eat oily fish so would like a recommendation for an oily fish supplement please
I do realise a lot of the reviews online are sponsored so would appreciate recommendations from my online friends..šŸ˜

Shinamae Tue 28-Mar-23 15:02:43

Apparently no online friends!!! šŸ«£šŸ˜„
I have ordered some now from NU nutrition, and also some glucosamine because I do suffer with achy legs and pins and needles. Specially at night when Iā€™m in bedā€¦

winterwhite Tue 28-Mar-23 18:28:28

Well I will be your friend, Shinamae. Sometimes in the winter I take codliver oil capsules and sometimes all year round I eat sardines. Will that do for a start? šŸ˜€

Shinamae Tue 28-Mar-23 18:42:41

winterwhite

Well I will be your friend, Shinamae. Sometimes in the winter I take codliver oil capsules and sometimes all year round I eat sardines. Will that do for a start? šŸ˜€

Friend of the friendlessā€¦..thank you!ā€¦šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚

Georgesgran Tue 28-Mar-23 18:48:11

Just Seven Seas cod liver oil here. My DF actually liked the taste and took it as a liquid!
Itā€™s a familiar name, so I felt it trustworthy and safe and started to take the capsules a few years ago.

Callistemon21 Tue 28-Mar-23 19:37:20

I like codliver oil with orange juice but it is more expensive.

Just to mention - codliver oil contains Vitamin D as well, so perhaps take one or the other, not both.

Shinamae Tue 28-Mar-23 20:06:12

Callistemon21

Just to mention - codliver oil contains Vitamin D as well, so perhaps take one or the other, not both.

Thank you..
This is the one I have ordered will check vitamin D content when it arrives ā€¦

Patsy70 Tue 28-Mar-23 21:00:14

Shinamae, youā€™re not friendless! šŸ˜‚ I take cod liver oil in liquid form, also eat sardines, salmon a couple of times a week, in addition to Vitamin D.

SueDonim Tue 28-Mar-23 21:03:53

Ooh, this is interesting! I donā€™t like fish (used to but Iā€™ve gone off it, for the most part). Do the CLO capsules taste fishy once youā€™ve swallowed them? They donā€™t repeat on you?

I felt Dh and I needed more Omega so Iā€™ve been buying vegan capsules but theyā€™re expensive compared to ordinary CLO capsules.

Georgesgran Tue 28-Mar-23 21:08:42

I donā€™t find any aftertaste. Take with a cold drink, so no risk of the capsule melting though!

Shinamae Tue 28-Mar-23 21:16:47

Patsy70

*Shinamae*, youā€™re not friendless! šŸ˜‚ I take cod liver oil in liquid form, also eat sardines, salmon a couple of times a week, in addition to Vitamin D.

Awwā€¦thank youā€¦.(just being a bit of a drama queen!) šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚

Blossoming Tue 28-Mar-23 21:18:04

Itā€™s not because Iā€™m not your friend Shinamae, I didnā€™t answer because I eat oily fish , I love mackerel.

Juliet27 Tue 28-Mar-23 21:20:03

Iā€™m not keen on fish so donā€™t eat it as often as I should but for extra Omega 3 I add milled flax seed to my meusli/yogurt etc.

Shinamae Tue 28-Mar-23 21:43:59

Blossoming

Itā€™s not because Iā€™m not your friend Shinamae, I didnā€™t answer because I eat oily fish , I love mackerel.

Blossom, I was only joking šŸ˜
I absolutely love mackerel, but canā€™t get my hands on it at the moment..
Donā€™t like Salmon but I suppose I could start eating a bit of sardines on toast, my aunt May used to make that for me when I was a childā€¦.šŸ¤—

Callistemon21 Tue 28-Mar-23 23:54:43

Shinamae

Callistemon21

Thank you..
This is the one I have ordered will check vitamin D content when it arrives ā€¦

They look quite strong so might have a good Vit D content.

nanna8 Wed 29-Mar-23 01:15:25

I eat a lot of fish,sardines etc but I have never taken the oil. I have an irrational feeling it might make me fat. Fish is very,very expensive here now which is unfortunate. The cheapest meat is pork but I am going off that, hearing how the pigs are slaughtered.

crazyH Wed 29-Mar-23 01:48:06

They say you need any supplements if you have a varied diet. I have fresh fish regularly and have fairly good diet, so i donā€™t take vitamins and feel ok

Calendargirl Wed 29-Mar-23 07:19:19

My DH and I have taken cod liver oil in liquid form for many years. He has it neat, I mix mine with orange juice, thereā€™s no need to buy it with OJ, just mix your own.

The chap at our health food shop says the liquid is far better for you than the capsules, a teaspoon of liquid equates to several capsules, which have little oil and mostly the gel containing it.

Shinamae Wed 29-Mar-23 08:55:40

crazyH

They say you need any supplements if you have a varied diet. I have fresh fish regularly and have fairly good diet, so i donā€™t take vitamins and feel ok

I have to admit my diet is not good at all, very little fruit and practically no vegā€¦ (baked beans,jacket potatoes)but lots of cheese!ā€¦šŸ«£

Shinamae Wed 29-Mar-23 08:57:01

Calendargirl

My DH and I have taken cod liver oil in liquid form for many years. He has it neat, I mix mine with orange juice, thereā€™s no need to buy it with OJ, just mix your own.

The chap at our health food shop says the liquid is far better for you than the capsules, a teaspoon of liquid equates to several capsules, which have little oil and mostly the gel containing it.

I Remember taking the liquid when I was a little girl, it made me sick then Iā€™m pretty sure it would have the same effect now šŸ¤¢

pascal30 Wed 29-Mar-23 10:19:04

Bare Biology is a company I can recommend for very pure fish oil capsules, but not cheap..

Lovetopaint037 Wed 29-Mar-23 10:54:11

I would try to change your diet and save your money that you spend on these supplements.
Fry kippers ( not the bags) with baked beans, tomatoes and potatoes. Then there is salmon, fresh and tinned. Smoked salmon omelette, mackerel anchovies etc etc.

mamaa Wed 29-Mar-23 11:09:10

I eat mackerel, salmon and tuna when I feel like it, and also take a combined cod liver oil with evening primrose capsule daily. Have done for years, started when I read they could help with the menopause.
I'm well through it now and asked at my MOT should I stop with the Evening Primrose and just have a cod liver oil capsule, and was told if I feel ok on it still to continue so I have. Think it helps with 'mood' but not sure.
Usually have Boots 3 for 2, but have had Seven Seas brand and also Holland and Barrett if the combined ones are out of stock.