Gransnet forums

Health

Tics and stress

(6 Posts)
Walkowl Thu 30-Mar-23 10:37:21

Does anyone have any experience with tics starting later in life and how you cope?

In the last 3 months or so I have had a twitch/tic that involves me either moving my hand up and around or sometimes its a really big left jaw stretch. Sort of like making a sad face but with one side only.
..at the same time I make a loud clicking sound. I can't hold it in. I've never had anything like this before in my life.

It's getting worse. It happens when I'm tired, stressed out, anxious. And I'm really stressed all the time at the moment….my sister died about six months ago, my DH has been in and out of hospital, and I've got money problems.

I went to my GP who says it's caused by anxiety. She says I need cognitive behaviour therapy but that's going to take months to get.

HELP. Anyone had this?!! What do you do to calm down to stop the tics?

Shelflife Thu 30-Mar-23 10:55:30

Walkowl, I have no experience of tics but I recognize how anxious you are. Obviously you are under great stress just now, your sisters death must have really shaken you and your husband is not well. I sincerely hope you can take advantage of CBT as quickly as possible. Sorry no advice but thinking of you and I wish you well. 💐💐

Sparklefizz Thu 30-Mar-23 11:24:18

Walkowl Having to wait for CBT is a nonsense really because you need help now.

There are OTC products for anxiety which do work (I've used them myself in the past), such as Kalms, or you could speak to a pharmacist.

Depending how open you are to alternative therapies, there's something called EFT (Emotional Freedom Technique) which involves tapping on acupuncture points, and this also works brilliantly. I used it frequently during my divorce.

Send me a PM if you're interested and I can give you some links/info.

ElaineI Thu 30-Mar-23 13:27:44

CBT is available online and your doctor should be able to refer you for it. There are also free phone apps. I have one called Woebot and one called Finch. They can be used as deeply or lightly as you want. I am doing an NHS one online called "Beating the Blues" which is a course but you need to be referred to that by a health professional.

Walkowl Thu 30-Mar-23 20:43:03

Thank you Shelflife got your thoughtful words. I do think everything is getting to me.

Walkowl Thu 30-Mar-23 20:44:52

ElaineI

CBT is available online and your doctor should be able to refer you for it. There are also free phone apps. I have one called Woebot and one called Finch. They can be used as deeply or lightly as you want. I am doing an NHS one online called "Beating the Blues" which is a course but you need to be referred to that by a health professional.

Lol, I have never thought of an app to help

I will look into it.

Thank you