Gransnet forums

Health

All cancer is serious, but what is the outlook for cancer of the womb?

(80 Posts)
Unigran4 Mon 01-May-23 16:46:21

I have been bleeding since the end of January this year. I got a doctor's appointment immediately and have been sent for all the right investigations. I saw the consultant who told me I had cancer of the womb and that it was advanced.

Bloods and CT scan done, MRI next week. The bleeding is now very heavy and I am deadly tired.

Basically, what are my chances? I don't think I'll see next Christmas, but am I being too gloomy?

aonk Tue 02-May-23 11:26:11

I’m sorry to hear this. I can only imagine how shocked and upset you feel. When a family member of mine was diagnosed with cancer I got so much support, information and reassurance from the MacMillan helpline at every stage. It’s good to come on this thread for support but you also need medical information.

Skydancer Tue 02-May-23 11:35:27

I am not medically qualified in the least. But a friend of mine had that type of cancer in her 30s. She received all the usual medical treatment and, as well as that, went on a strictly organic diet and joined meditation classes. Basically she tried everything she could. Initially the doctors were pessimistic. She is in her mid-70s now. Everything is worth trying and cancer treatments have advanced in leaps and bounds in recent years as I understand it.

Dee1012 Tue 02-May-23 11:40:00

I can't even imagine what you are going through - all I can do is send you my best wishes. flowers

Alioop Tue 02-May-23 11:43:00

My mum's friend was diagnosed 3 years ago with it at 85 years old. She had a full hysterectomy and she is doing really well now. She had a mastectomy 40 years ago and a hell of a lot of treatment and she said how things have changed so much in the years since then, they know and can do so much now.
Sending you a big hug 🌹

Bobblesack Tue 02-May-23 11:58:51

I had womb cancer 6 years ago, luckily it was caught early and after a total hysterectomy I didn't need further treatment. I had the most fabulous consultant gynae who told me "If you have to have cancer, the womb is the best place to have it."
I hope this is true for you too. There are some wonderful medical staff out there, you are in good hands. All the best.

Susie42 Tue 02-May-23 12:20:28

I was diagnosed with womb cancer in 2011, I had a complete hysterectomy and have been clear since 2017. Hope all goes well for you.

Unigran4 Fri 05-May-23 01:35:05

Thank you all for your support, you truly are a lovely bunch. I've had my MRI now (very noisy!) and they are having a meeting tomorrow to discuss my case (among others) and then they will ring me with a proper diagnosis and a plan. I can't help feeling a little scared, but will remain positive until I know if I have something to be scared about.

I can't thank you all enough for your encouraging words, I was beginning to feel very lonely, but not any more.

NotSpaghetti Fri 05-May-23 06:21:51

I truly hope the news is not as terrible as you fear - and if it isn't good, I hope at least "having a plan" feels better than limbo.
Thinking of you.
flowers

PamelaJ1 Fri 05-May-23 06:55:33

So sorry to hear your news, you must be feeling very anxious at the moment.
We are all different but I find it easier to cope when I know what I’m dealing with.
As others have said talk to people who have the information. You are probably wailing for results of tests and feel as though you are in limbo.
💐💐

BlueBelle Fri 05-May-23 07:12:50

We would all be scared to death unigran but the sooner you know and act the sooner you can start to get the help you need and fingers crossed a good outcome, hopefully get it all out and after a difficult period of operations and fears you can get back to a normal (whatever that is) and on the mend

The best good wishes in the world x

Cs783 Fri 05-May-23 07:25:02

Glad to have your update Unigran4. When you get your phone call with ‘proper diagnosis and plan’ can you/will you arrange to have someone with you? Whatever is said it’s always helpful to have another pair of ears to help you take it in, isn’t it?

glammanana Fri 05-May-23 09:52:05

Unigran4 I know first hand it is such a worrying time I was treated for Ovarian/Womb Cancer when I was 41 it was such a traumatic time for me & my family and such a shock.
I was operated on 5 days after my consultation and had a radical hysterectomy where the fantastic surgeons removed everything.
The care was second to none and the help and support from Macmillon was outstanding they are just perfect in what they do.
I am now 73 this year and have never had any problems since
so please try and look forward the care and treatment now is so advanced I'm sure you will be fine flowers

NotSpaghetti Fri 05-May-23 10:29:03

Good advice from Cs783 - yes, do take someone with you.

Sunnysideup Fri 05-May-23 19:15:49

Know how you feel. I’m going through appendix cancer for the second time in 7 years which has now spread to surfaces of liver, bladder and parts of the small bowel. I’m now being well looked after by a hospice with the occasional trip home every other day with my husband when I can manage to. Don’t know how long I’ve got and I wish you all the luck in the world. You’ll be quite lucky to get result on Bank holiday most shut down.😘

Hithere Fri 05-May-23 19:27:09

At least in the US, it is considered a good practice to have a second opinion on results and treatment

Hoping for the best!

Cs783 Fri 05-May-23 20:17:27

Sunnysideup just to say I’m sorry you’re facing a return of cancer and at least pleased that you feel well looked after. Thinking of you xx

BlueBelle Fri 05-May-23 20:59:02

Good wishes Sunnyside really really sorry to read, this fingers crossed that you continue to be well looked after and have trips home

Unigran4 Fri 12-May-23 19:06:28

Bit of a hiccup! I had all my tests and was invited to a pre-op check - where they found I had a heart murmur so wouldn't pass me for the hysterectomy op. That has to be sorted first. I am not happy about the delay, but I understand why they won't operate.

Sunnysideup you are an inspiration flowers

NotAGran55 Fri 12-May-23 21:47:09

Sending best wishes and positive vibes to you both Unigran4 💐 and Sunnysideup 💐

Harris27 Fri 12-May-23 21:48:50

Total hysterectomy at 45 still here 63.

Unigran4 Fri 09-Jun-23 17:06:01

Operation all done (two weeks ago) and now awaiting histology report (4-6 weeks), but doctors are warning the cancer was very advanced and that I will undoubtedly need further treatment. Meanwhile, I'm enjoying the good weather and trying not to fret over the inevitable.

Again - thank you all so much for your support and inspirational stories.

Shelflife Fri 09-Jun-23 17:52:27

Good to know you have had surgery Unigran . Everyone on GN is thinking of you and wishing you well.
I am not in a position to offer advice but please know I am sending you strength and ((( hugs ))).

Aveline Fri 09-Jun-23 17:57:15

Glad to hear the op is done. I hope any further treatment starts soon so you know what's what (if you know what I mean)

BlueBelle Fri 09-Jun-23 18:53:48

Well done unigran do keep us in touch along your journey and we ll all be here for you

Wyllow3 Fri 09-Jun-23 18:58:27

flowers
hoping for best outcomes from the detailed results.
And finding the right people to talk to re all the details. support, and options x