Gransnet forums

Health

Are you self medicating because of no GP appointments?

(125 Posts)
Bea65 Sat 13-May-23 17:11:35

With frustration am constantly calling for pain meds...no appts and am angry with constant TV program Presenters telling us to CONTACT GPs for advice/appointments...are these TV presenters in pain? No... i don't think so. am having to take care of my own pain schedule but this is so WRONG... just wish Gov would listen and now telling us to contact the local Pharmacist who is already over-burdened... what a mess!

Germanshepherdsmum Sat 13-May-23 17:18:21

I assume you need more than OTC painkillers? I rely heavily on them from time to time.

Fleurpepper Sat 13-May-23 18:51:07

There is self medicating, and ... self medicating.

Taking paracetamol in the correct dose (exceeding dose being very dangerous), is not the same as illegally getting hold of Tramadol type opiates.

But yes, you should be able to get an appointment to discuss.

Sago Sat 13-May-23 19:42:15

Our daughter and SIL travel a lot, on their last trip to Mexico they flew back with every antibiotic known to man along with. a fab selection of pain medication.
In nearly 12 months only 1 course of antibiotics has been needed, it’s a huge comfort to know it’s available.

Marydoll Sat 13-May-23 20:31:42

Some antibiotics contra indicate with certain medications. I would think it would be foolish to take antibiotics bought abroad, without medical supervision.
I am allergic to a number of antibiotics and recently discovered that the antibiotics in asthma my rescue pack seriously contra indicate with my new heart medication.

Surely if one has a medical condition, requiring pain meds, they should be on prescription and should be monitored and require a review by a GP or consultant.

I have a friend who is a medical receptionist, who informed me that patients, who cannot get a GP appointmen are phoning 111 for support. Their GP is then requested, if necessary, to give them an appointment.
Bea65 have you tried that route?

Oreo Sat 13-May-23 20:36:12

Yeah, am self medicating as we speak! Hopeless trying to talk to anyone at my surgery this last week, and they wonder why A&E is so rammed.

henetha Sat 13-May-23 21:24:52

I am, sort of, dealing with a couple of problems myself as I don't seem to have a doctor. Well I know his name but he's avoided me for over five years now. Does he actually exist?

Norah Sat 13-May-23 21:40:36

We self medicate, often. OTC pain tablets and other tablets.

Bea65 Sun 14-May-23 13:34:36

I have repeat prescriptions for pain relief but need Naproxen which has been prescribed in the past but now have to speak to GP for additional prescription..as my pain is so acute at moment can't physically get to GP and can't get thru on phone...my daughter who lives in London has also tried to ring on my behalf and no success...Marydoll thank you hadn't thought to try the 111 service as others have said it was near to useless but will give it a go...Happy Sunday all....

loopyloo Sun 14-May-23 14:50:51

Some surgeries use econsult and find that helpful. You say what you think you need and with luck the Dr prescribes it. May text you or ring you.
Bit tedious working through the screens but it usually brings results.

Philippa111 Sun 14-May-23 15:12:09

Sago

Our daughter and SIL travel a lot, on their last trip to Mexico they flew back with every antibiotic known to man along with. a fab selection of pain medication.
In nearly 12 months only 1 course of antibiotics has been needed, it’s a huge comfort to know it’s available.

No judgement whatsoever from me.I would do the same.

It is just a testament to how poorly we are being cared for. Our generation paid into the NHS system all of our working lives and most of us won't have used it much, as it's in older age that we actually do begin to need care...and now there is often none available without weeks and weeks of waiting just to see someone never mind get medication.
We don't have any other choice but to put up with it apart from a select few who are very well off and can afford private health care. It's an outrage and the politicians seem to mange extremely well to ignore it/us!

A friend in Bournemouth just told me that a local health centre is closing in July... doctors resigning, over worked, not enough staff...exhausted!

Baggs Sun 14-May-23 15:39:10

I'm not critical of people supplying themselves with anti-biotics or painkillers that they think they might need and won't be able to get from their GP.

On the other hand I am shocked (and sorry) that people feel the need for a large supply of anti-biotics. This is because I've only actually needed an anti-biotic once in my life – an ear infection, and if the pain had been containable I probably wouldn't have needed them even then as my GP told me told me years later when one of my kids had an ear infection that 70% of ear infections clear up by themselves within 72 hours. Dealing satisfactorily with the pain is the issue rather than the infection itself in most cases, he said. On that occasion he gave me a prescription for a powder form of an anti-biotic which I could mix up myself with water if the resort to intensive painkilling was not sufficient. Paracetamol and ibuprofen syrups in combination were sufficient and we didn't need the anti-biotic. We kept the powder until it was out of date.

Given what we've been told for years about the dangers of anti-biotic over-use leading to anti-biotic resistance, I'd be reluctant to acquire any for self-medicating myself unless I was absolutely desperate. Sympathy to people who are in such desparate situations!

Fleurpepper Sun 14-May-23 16:03:41

Judgement? Well, it is not an easy one. We now have terrible resistance to antibiotics, due to over-use- and this is causing terrible issues, and many deaths too. So their use should be seriously controlled.

As for pain medication from Mexico, depending on what they are, it could have landed your daughter in serious trouble if caught.

There are truly excellent reasons why some drugs are prescription only. Paracetamol, etc, is freely available to all.

MerylStreep Sun 14-May-23 16:18:25

Paracetamol was once prescription only.

fancythat Sun 14-May-23 16:19:41

I could hardly believe my eyes yesterday, late evening, either.

But know I can be naive about some things. And I am not in the same position.

Fleurpepper Sun 14-May-23 16:25:52

MerylStreep

Paracetamol was once prescription only.

Never a Class A or B opiate- which is caught at airport, could land you in massive trouble!

Hithere Sun 14-May-23 17:10:37

"advice/appointments...are these TV presenters in pain? No... i don't think so."

How do you know?
They are doing their jobs, reading a script, not broadcasting their health

Germanshepherdsmum Sun 14-May-23 17:19:36

Bringing in any drugs from abroad is very risky, both in terms of what they contain and in terms of what your fate might be if they are discovered as it is drug smuggling. I am prescribed Class A drugs - they always travel in the pharmacy packet labelled with my name and the pharmacy’s details.

Daisymae Sun 14-May-23 17:41:41

Yes. You can get a private prescription online.

Marydoll Sun 14-May-23 17:53:46

Germanshepherdsmum

Bringing in any drugs from abroad is very risky, both in terms of what they contain and in terms of what your fate might be if they are discovered as it is drug smuggling. I am prescribed Class A drugs - they always travel in the pharmacy packet labelled with my name and the pharmacy’s details.

Me too, GSM. I am nervous every time I travel with them, despite having all the documentation.

Back to appointments.
Last week I needed to speak to GP, to access more anti nausea tablets to counteract vertigo, caused by side effects of heart medication, which cannot be stopped.
The last time I needed them, it took a lot of hassle to obtain them. Therefore, this time, unable to face the inquisition, I added a note to my repeat request, that I required them as a special request or did I need to speak to a GP.
The following day, I noticed a series of missed calls from the surgery. It turned out that my GP wanted to speak to me and I had to make an appointment, ASAP. Result!
One way of getting an appointment, without any hassle. wink

Fleurpepper Sun 14-May-23 20:50:55

Germanshepherdsmum

Mexico has very strict drug control. Possession of any class A or B pain killer would lande you in 9.5 years in prison + massive fine.

Strong pain killers fall in either category.

PamelaJ1 Sun 14-May-23 20:55:56

I’ve just had a course of antibiotics ( from the Dr,) I had a swab taken first to see which one was needed.
I presume that if you take the wrong one it doesn’t work?

maddyone Sun 14-May-23 21:03:36

There are truly excellent reasons why some drugs are prescription only.

Absolutely correct Fleurpepper.

AuntieEleanorsCat Mon 15-May-23 11:13:35

I’ve tweaked mine. In the absence of the availability of a certain drug I’ve also needed to discontinue another of my meds as it HAS to be taken alongside the prescription I have. It’s a blood thinner so, I feel like I’m playing with fire.

I’ve also increased my HRT because the new one (can’t get the old one I was on) isn’t working as well for me.

A total shambles!

Bea65 Mon 15-May-23 11:17:32

PamelaJ1 am curious that the GP took a swab before prescribing a particular antibiotic...are you in the UK? Have not heard of this...but hope it works for you!