Gransnet forums

Health

Are you self medicating because of no GP appointments?

(126 Posts)
Bea65 Sat 13-May-23 17:11:35

With frustration am constantly calling for pain meds...no appts and am angry with constant TV program Presenters telling us to CONTACT GPs for advice/appointments...are these TV presenters in pain? No... i don't think so. am having to take care of my own pain schedule but this is so WRONG... just wish Gov would listen and now telling us to contact the local Pharmacist who is already over-burdened... what a mess!

Marydoll Tue 16-May-23 10:52:32

I had a chat with a GP today and was asked to come on Thursday to have a full check up, so see if they can try and improve my quality of life.
I am gobsmacked, to say the least!

Missiseff Tue 16-May-23 10:53:42

I'm surprised hearing that people can't get GP appointments. Ours are brill, never have a problem. Fill in a brief request online & either get an appt or a GP rings. Brilliant service.

Fleurpepper Tue 16-May-23 10:57:15

Great news Marydoll - fingers crossed.

Witzend Tue 16-May-23 11:04:00

I’ve only self medicated once - for a flare up of eczema while in Cyprus, where a pharmacist let me have a tube of Betnovate, which AFAIK I wouldn’t get in the U.K. without a prescription. I get the flare-ups only occasionally, though, so it’s hardly regular use. V glad to have it when I do get one, though, to stop the maddening itching.

growstuff Tue 16-May-23 17:08:09

Missiseff

I'm surprised hearing that people can't get GP appointments. Ours are brill, never have a problem. Fill in a brief request online & either get an appt or a GP rings. Brilliant service.

How wonderful! Which part of the UK are you in?

Marydoll Tue 16-May-23 18:20:45

Its great people can get an e consult, we have nothing like that here, just good old fashioned, waiting on the phone and desperately hoping for an appointment.

argymargy Wed 17-May-23 06:54:23

Germanshepherdsmum

My husband had type 2 diabetes argymargy and when he was diagnosed his doctor told him that he must not take ibuprofen. He was extremely clear about it.

So it is your husband who shouldn’t take ibuprofen, not anyone with type 2 diabetes.

growstuff Wed 17-May-23 07:15:33

argymargy

Germanshepherdsmum

Indeed. For instance if you have type 2 diabetes you should not take ibuprofen. How many have that and don’t know because they haven’t seen a doctor? And that’s just one contra-indication. I fear Nanatoone’s final sentence is inaccurate. It is never wise to self-medicate beyond the recommended dose of paracetamol. If that is insufficient medical advice is needed.

Where did you get that from? It’s not about the disease you have, it’s other drugs you might be taking. Sure, caution with mixing ibuprofen with SUs (not used much nowadays) and some antihypertensives (often a co-morbidity) but stating type 2 diabetes is a contraindication is wrong and potentially could cause anxiety. Are you a doctor/pharmacist?

Ibuprofen can affect the kidneys, as can diabetes. That's why ibuprofen isn't advised for diabetics. I happen to be allergic to ibuprofen - it brings on a hives-type rash, but that's nothing to do with diabetes. There's also a possibility it affects blood glucose levels and can react with metformin.

I had a long discussion with a consultant about pain killers and was told not to take ibuprofen long-term (I can't anyway), but short term, occasional use isn't contraindicated. There are plenty of alternatives. The danger is if people take it (or anything else for that matter) long-term without having blood tests.

growstuff Wed 17-May-23 07:16:28

argymargy

Germanshepherdsmum

My husband had type 2 diabetes argymargy and when he was diagnosed his doctor told him that he must not take ibuprofen. He was extremely clear about it.

So it is your husband who shouldn’t take ibuprofen, not anyone with type 2 diabetes.

No, anybody with any kind of diabetes should avoid ibuprofen.

growstuff Wed 17-May-23 07:18:02

argymargy

Germanshepherdsmum

Indeed. For instance if you have type 2 diabetes you should not take ibuprofen. How many have that and don’t know because they haven’t seen a doctor? And that’s just one contra-indication. I fear Nanatoone’s final sentence is inaccurate. It is never wise to self-medicate beyond the recommended dose of paracetamol. If that is insufficient medical advice is needed.

Where did you get that from? It’s not about the disease you have, it’s other drugs you might be taking. Sure, caution with mixing ibuprofen with SUs (not used much nowadays) and some antihypertensives (often a co-morbidity) but stating type 2 diabetes is a contraindication is wrong and potentially could cause anxiety. Are you a doctor/pharmacist?

No, it's not wrong.

Are you a doctor/pharmacist?

ginny Wed 17-May-23 07:52:17

I called in to our surgery yesterday re. a flare up of a skin problem I thought had cleared. Explained to the receptionist who asked if I needed to see someone urgently. I replied that as soon as possible would be good. Result was an appointment for 3 hours later!
Have to say I was rather surprised as I’ve heard a number of people saying they couldn’t get an appointment for weeks.

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 17-May-23 09:45:48

Thanks growstuff.

dragonfly46 Wed 17-May-23 09:52:07

I am not diabetic but our GP's do not recommend Ibuprofen to the over 70s, those on anti-coagulants or blood thinners and diabetics.
It can cause bleeding in the stomach even in the fit and healthy.

Oldbat1 Wed 17-May-23 10:34:58

Number 17 in telephone queue but eventually gave up yet again. I dont normally use the phone as i cannot hear even with my hearing aids in. The econsult opens at 8am but by 8.03am it is not able to deal with anymore requests. I am going to go in to speak to receptionists face to face (not their fault i know). Seemingly we are an 8 GP surgery but only one works fulltime all the others are part time.

Marydoll Wed 17-May-23 11:15:26

Oldbat1, I was 14th in the queue yesterday at 8am. However, I held on and moved down the queue very quickly.
A few weeks ago, I was 28th, at 8.05am, but did get to speak to someone. Don't give up.

Bea65 Wed 17-May-23 12:50:59

was supposed to have my annual check up in March..hasn't happened..still no naproxen...pharmacist said i had to have GP authorisation altho he can see on system i have had it prescribed before sad

maddyone Wed 17-May-23 17:12:25

Seemingly we are a 8 GP surgery but only one works full time all the others are part time.

And your point is?

Fleurpepper Wed 17-May-23 18:12:40

the point is that there is less continuity, and it is very difficult to see the same doctor- and that they don't have time to work together, supporting each other with advice, taking over very severe conditions when absent (end of life care, for instance, etc).

When a surgery has 5 full-time doctors, the reality on the ground is VERY VERY different to having 12 part-time. Fact.

Fleurpepper Wed 17-May-23 18:13:37

Marydoll

*Oldbat1*, I was 14th in the queue yesterday at 8am. However, I held on and moved down the queue very quickly.
A few weeks ago, I was 28th, at 8.05am, but did get to speak to someone. Don't give up.

Very very difficult for those who work, are on their commute at 8, or taking kids to school.

growstuff Wed 17-May-23 18:23:22

Fleurpepper

the point is that there is less continuity, and it is very difficult to see the same doctor- and that they don't have time to work together, supporting each other with advice, taking over very severe conditions when absent (end of life care, for instance, etc).

When a surgery has 5 full-time doctors, the reality on the ground is VERY VERY different to having 12 part-time. Fact.

How is it more difficult to see the same doctor, if patients are prepared to wait to see a preferred doctor?

For as long as I can remember, there's been no continuity if patients need an emergency appointment. However, if they have a chronic condition or follow-up and are prepared to wait a few days, it should be possible to see the same doctor.

The problem I find at the moment is that salaried GPs don't work in a practice for that long, so just when you've established a rapport with one, he or she has moved on.

If offering hours which GPs find more acceptable means that they actually apply for jobs, I think that's better than having vacancies.

Marydoll Wed 17-May-23 18:32:16

Fleurpepper

Marydoll

Oldbat1, I was 14th in the queue yesterday at 8am. However, I held on and moved down the queue very quickly.

Very very difficult for those who work, are on their commute at 8, or taking kids to school.

When I was working, I had to deal with that. However, there wasn't a a queuing system, I had to keep hanging up and redialling.Try doing that, when you have class of thirty children.

My message was directed to Oldbat, urging her not to give up. If you are fortunate to already be in an electronic queue, your call should be eventually be answered.

maddyone Wed 17-May-23 18:57:43

You’re right growstuff. If an emergency appointment is required, then patients would normally be happy to see any doctor. On the other hand, when managing a long term condition, it’s better to see the same doctor and it’s okay to wait for a suitable appointment.

Fleurpepper the reason many doctors work part time is because they have young children. I would have thought you would have supported the right of young women to work part time, as the law allows, when their children are small. I find it quite difficult to hear/ see older women criticising younger women for working part time whilst their children are young.

Marydoll Wed 17-May-23 19:02:42

Working part time allows young mothers, such as doctors and teachers to continue to develop their skills and to do the job they were trained for.
When my children were young, job sharing was discouraged in teaching.
I applaud these women.

Fleurpepper Wed 17-May-23 19:04:56

maddyone, yes, I totally get it, from the mother's point of view. Absolutely. However, it does an effect on the dynamics of a Practice, how the doctors communicate with each other and support each other (share expertise, pass on patients in extreme circumstances in case of absence, and in so many ways). No criticism from me, but an awareness that the way a practice works is VERY different with, say, 5 full time, against 12 part-time.

maddyone Wed 17-May-23 19:05:30

👏👏👏👏👏👏 Marydoll.

You’re right, job sharing was discouraged when we were young. Now it’s quite normal in teaching.