Gransnet forums

Health

Black Dog 30

(1001 Posts)
Scaredycat Wed 08-Jul-26 15:53:35

Welcome. This thread is in support of those who wish to share their mental health problems as they affect their daily lives,share aspects of our lives supportively and give and take support. And is a continuation of Black Dog 29.
It’s been going for some time, so this is a jump in at the deep end.
All are welcome- don’t be put off by some of us being here long term - people come and go

HowVeryDareYou2 Wed 30-Sept-26 07:30:34

SweetpeaSue LG was very good and seemed to enjoy just doing things at home - she goes out so much (other grandma's today, nursery Thursday) and out with parents Fri, Sat, Sun. Your poor husband is in pain and has had so many health issues. It's affecting you, too. A holiday to the lakes will do you both some good. Is your DH on ADs, by the way?

Wyllow3 We've been to the National Tram Museum at Critch (Derbyshire), and enjoyed it, but yes, houses with furniture, etc., is more interesting to me. We've been to a few like that. Of course, Nottingham has got great museums - the castle and caves, The Galleries of Justice, Brewhouse Yard, etc. Birmingham has got the Black Country Museum, which is very good.

Will you need more/other antibiotics for the Cystitis? Nice that you're getting on so well with A, but as you say, you need to look after yourself, too. My rash has almost gone now, thanks. I need to ring the GP to tell her I'm not taking the BP pills.

Sweetpeasue Wed 30-Sept-26 11:09:47

Wyllow .ust have been nice to relax with your friend yesterday after such a busy day. Hope you have a good session with the CPN and can talk about your relationship with A and overcommiting yourself- there has to be some boundaries.
Son 2 came home yesterday so F should be OK. They're actually away for a holiday soon and F will be minded that week then well pick her up for 4 dys with us at end of our holiday.( self catering as its a holiday rental).
Just finished the 2 cardis and hats- phew- so sis will pick them up after holiday.
Do hope your Cystitis fully clears soon.
HVDY LG does get to go to so many different places- she is lucky girl as well as little girl!
Thanks, yes DH was on ADs then came off them in Spring as he didnt want to take so many tablets. We'll see .

Going to last book group today. Rather sad as it first started ( under very different circumstances- it was in Adult Education) 28yrs ago. Then we had English teacher who is still a friend of mine though we dont see each other these days. Spoke to her last night for catch up and told her class folding. I am the last of the original members of first class so 'last man standing'
It will be strange not needing to go out anywhere for anything ,on my own.

Hope everyone has a decent day. X

Doodle Wed 30-Sept-26 19:12:06

HVDYi Hope your sons kitten is more amenable that DS2s kitten also born to feral cat. Kitten has had a life of luxury, well fed and cared for but often known to bite the had that feeds it and flashes claws at any given opportunity.
I’m sure you find lots to do with LG. Good to hear she’s doing so well
Sweetpeaasue of course you should come here and write how you feel. I can imagine it’s really hard for you to be supportive to your Dh when he’s not in such a good way himself. Being with someone who is depressed and ill is not easy. Hope you manage to enjoy your holiday a bit and hope the scan helps when you get seen. Sorry your book group is ending. That’s a shame.
Wyllow yes you must look after yourself. I hope A does not make too many demands on you. You’re only just building yourself up after a really hard time. Hope the blood in urine clears up soon.
Scaredycat I went to the Viking museum in York too. Hope you manage your coach trip ok. I’ve never fancied one because I often need the loo and would be embarrassed going on the coach. Hope you have a good time.
Church today was nice. Art tomorrow

Wyllow3 Wed 30-Sept-26 22:13:38

I got up late, as I forgot to take my bedtime meds, and took them at 2am….so everything got behind…me late getting dressed, CPN arrived and departed late, (a very good session). and yes each day I have to make little judgments do I help or not.

At times if he is low on dopa there is more muddlement so I just step in without telling him what to do. ie 'you could do this ir that but its your decision' etc.

It's an exercise in not stepping into the role of "good caring women steps in" in this particular situation, I mean it's not 2 months yet.

So I arrived at the gym at 1.40 instead of 1pm to teach New Bloke some basic yoga as promised.

Well, we got 40 mins in, then I had to drop him to have a back tooth removed entirely. Ouch, took an hour.

Then I had to drop another urine sample by as I had put it in the wrong box yesterday. Duh x 5.

It was really nice by then so I thought I’d have an amble in the park.

Did I go there? No. Why? Two charity shops en route.
In the first, I got “the” winter dress, White stuff
In the second:
And there were a pair of Paver black leather Mary Janes with a little (but broad heel. For £6. To complete the outfit. Since just once I wont wear sketchers for a special do. grin

Then I was too tired for a walk, and somehow it was just after 5pm.

But since tomorrow dawns fair so it has to be the park then, as I will move the one thing in the day that was a must do. I have to stop gong into charity shops! The second one is the sort that has a room full of interesting bits and bobs.

Over done it for 3 days, and tomorrow has to be restful and healthy body/mind stuff. I am overdoing stuff Sweetpeasue so we talked about it quite a bit.

They sound like places I would enjoy in Nottinghamshire, HVDY. What a relief your rash I nearly gone. So distressing.

(I guess they must be waiting for urine sample results?)

Sweetpeasue overall I prefer the privacy of self catering unless I am alone. There’s always lots of easy peasy ready meal and stuff. Hey, well done cards and hats -

I’d love a photo but only if you are willing. Hmmm. I always understand the desire to take less tablets but I guess I accepted along ago it was a needs must and why suffer. I do want to cut down on the gross amounts of diazepam I am hooked on, but thats very different from AD’s.

It is sad about the group. Your sort of learnt there the courage to “join in”.
If you don’t mind me saying I think its good to do some separate things but OTOH unless there is something active like the U3a locally and a good one not cliquy its sometimes trying to set one up for oneself. Different kettle of fish, as it Has Responsibility. OTOH there are Zoom groups around to look out for.
You knot - how about a knit and natter group?

Doodle I’m glad Wednesday church was nice. What happens - is it a special sort of service? I’m with you on the loo thing. It’s an issue without the cystitis anyway. You can hardly ask them to stop at a convenient bush. Enjoy your art, now.

How are things, EllieAnne? What happened about DH’s appointment?

Sleep best you can, Black Dog peoples, including the “just reading”

HowVeryDareYou2 Thu 01-Oct-26 07:48:30

SweetpeaSue Perhaps your husband needs to think about ADS again? I hate taking all my tablets, but I'd never want to stop the ADs. There might be a group at your local library, or how about doing a college course of some kind?

Doodle My Mr Cooper was feral, and when we first took him in, he bit me so badly that I had to have antibiotics for a week. He was a big boy of about 8 years old. Once properly settled, he became the most affectionate and lovely cat we've ever had (my favourite, and I still miss him).

Wyllow3 You get some good things from the charity shops! Is your wardrobe full of bargains yet? smile You are helping A quite a lot. Does he reciprocate? Hope you have a less busy day today.

I spoke to a GP yesterday about the diuretic I stopped due to the rash. Our surgery is a teaching practice, so we get a lot of new GPs, and he's one of them. I told him I've Googled things and suggested a pill that might suit. He said he'd need to check that it wouldn't clash with my other meds, I'd Googled that too, and it wouldn't. He actually sounded quite pleased (after all, it saved him a job). He's got to talk to someone at the hospital (no idea why) and will let me know - in about a fortnight grin. We'll see. Day centre party today, as it's been going for 7 years (The Monday one for 9 years). Hope everyone has a decent day x

Scaredycat Thu 01-Oct-26 15:56:58

Hi all.
HVDY- Glad the rash has nearly disappeared.
We took the boys to the Cattery’s this morning. I don’t like leaving them but the people who run it are so kind and truly love the cats. The traffic was horrendous - a 20 min trip took 45 mins so there was much yowling in the car!!
Hope you enjoy the party today and also that the young GP can sort the meds for you.
SweetPeaSue- you,ve done well to finish the knitting - you must find it hard to concentrate with all that is going on in your head.
Hope you enjoy your holiday and DH can relax once he is there.
It would be nice if you could find another group to join. We all need our own interests and other people to chat to.
Doodle- that’s the Kitty from hell😸she,ll probably soften as she gets older.
I must admit the thought of the Loo on this trip worried me but I think there,ll be one on board. Still will have to do the walk of shame though.😩
I would love that museum I,m sure. I,ve liked stuff about them ever since the film with Kirk Douglas and Tony Curtis!!!
Wyllow- you’re right it’s early days for you with A and your needs must take priority. It’s a sort of fine line between wanting to help him sometimes but not to fall into a caring situation.
I,m sure you both are getting to understand each other better as the weeks go by.
Hope your mouth isn’t too sore today so you,ve been able to get to the park. Beware the tempting shops - they are watching you😀 You do have some great finds though.

Well we leave early tomorrow to catch the bus that takes us to the big bus. It’s lovely weather today- wonder what Scotland has in store for us.
Will think of you all and post if I can.
Take care all those mentioned and those just reading tidy.
Love to all

Scaredycat Thu 01-Oct-26 15:58:47

Reading today although I,m sure you are all tidy!

Doodle Thu 01-Oct-26 20:34:26

Wyllow glad you had a good session with the CpN
Sorry you had a painful session with your tooth
You were lucky with the charity shops. I never find anything I like. Yes art was fun thanks. Lovely people to be with.
Church service on Wednesdays is just like a Sunday service with communion but no hymns and a slightly shorted service. It is very popular with many.
HVDy that’s a good idea for Sweetpeasue looking into what the library can offer. Our son’s cat is really well looked after and is boss of the dogs too but doesn’t seem to respond to a kind touch. Hates having his back or tummy touched. He has always been the same. Hope you get the new meds and they help. The party sounds fun.
Scaredycat our son’s cat is at least 10 years old now. It has softened a bit as it will sometimes sit on my DILs lap. Trouble is you never know when it’s going to turn on you.
Do hope you have a lovely trip to Scotland and can relax and enjoy y,ourselves.
Sweetpeasue any news on your Dh. How has he been today.
Must be upsetting for you as much as him
Ellie Anne are you still going to your choir? Is it every week?

Sweetpeasue Thu 01-Oct-26 22:19:11

Just thankyou all for caring.
DH just the same thanks Doodle
So glad your rash is clearing up HVDY
and hoping your Cystitis is clearing too Wyllow

Be back in tomorrow.
Hope everyone has a peaceful night - all BDs and those who read.
.

Wyllow3 Thu 01-Oct-26 23:05:04

night night BD's see you tomorrow xx

HowVeryDareYou2 Fri 02-Oct-26 07:26:34

ScaredyCat 45 minutes of crying cats! No fun for anyone. They're on their own holiday, then. Hope you have a great time. Coaches have toilets, but they're quite cramped. Tena Lady and frequent stops along the journey are what's needed!

Doodle Most cats dislike being touched on the belly - it's a particularly sensitive area. There are some exceptions, though. Jaffa hates having the base of his tail/bottom of his back touched. The vet said he's probably got Arthritis there, which is painful to touch (I give him a painkiller occasionally, which is on prescription).

The day centre party was nice - salmon, roast potatoes and veg, then scone with cream and jam. A singer entertained us (nice for people who like 50s and 60s music). It was GD2's birthday yesterday, so we went to Son1's house for pizzas and birthday cake - Son2 and family were there, too. Lovely to all get togather. Saw the kitten briefly (it was too busy and noisy for her) - she's tiny, fits in the size of my husband's hand.

HowVeryDareYou2 Fri 02-Oct-26 07:29:02

Jaffa's having his claws trimmed today - a more friendly vet than the one a couple of weeks ago. My rash is gone, definitely caused by that diuretic (BP is up again, though), so aqua aerobics later. Hope everyone has a decent day x

Wyllow3 Fri 02-Oct-26 08:55:22

Travel fair and enjoy, *Scaredycat! I would be very surprised if there were not regular requests for toilet stops from a whole number of passengers...blokes with you know what...et al

Now that was a nice day and lunch there. Hooray the rash is gone HVDY.

I'm a bit pre-occupied atm by some news (not bad, just complex - re caring for partner et al) so I'll be in soon.

It was my new partners tooth, Doodle I'm glad to say or you would have heard it loud and clear 😉. I'm glad Wednesdays have the blessings of a full communion.

It's a good idea Sweetpeasue to pop into the library and find out whats on. I still think you might enjoy a "knit and natter"? (unless of course they can all knit Shetland with one arm behind their back, but I bet many knit squares.)

Laters. Thinking of absent friends.

EllieAnne Fri 02-Oct-26 09:34:50

I’ve no updates on dh yet
I was very unwell yesterday will sickness and diarrhoea. Never had anything so bad . Am wondering food poisoning?
The car was supposed to go to the garage but had to cancel.
Cat going to the vet later so hope I can manage that.
I could send dh but parking isn’t good and I don’t think he’d cope with the cat basket and his stick. And he doesn’t want pick up what the vet says.
Scaredy cat enjoy your holiday

HowVeryDareYou2 Fri 02-Oct-26 12:59:17

EllieAnne That was so unpleasant for you. What did you eat that made you think it was food poisoning? I hope you get on ok when you go to the vet's.

Jaffa had some claws trimmed - all the back ones and 3 of the front ones. The nice vet suggested he go back some time to have the rest clipped. She said he'll need Gabapentin beforehand - not something I like the idea of, but anyway..... so he's going back in a fortnight.

Sweetpeasue Fri 02-Oct-26 16:24:17

Wyllow You're right about the plucking up courage to go to new things. I could never set anything up myself.
When I went to the book group the leader said the U3A was letting it run a few more weeks and was going to put out notice for anyone new to join. Dont think there will be though

Ive heard there's a U3A knitting/craft group and its run by someone that has been to our book group so Im thinking of going there.
Hope youve had a quieter day and not been so busy. You do come across some lucky finds in your charity shop.
Doodle Im hoping DHs mood lifts a bit next week . He goes over the down sides of everything all the time and is so pessimistic. He hates not being able to do simple things and his painful legs get him down.
How are you today? Its good you enjoy the company at your art class. Oooh your son's cat sounds quite frightening ,I must say. I think Id give it a wide berth.
HVDY What a nice idea for the part at the daycentre. Meal sounded lovely.
So glad your rash has gone. Who'd have though that diuretics could cause that. Your condition must make it difficult to tolerate so many things- no wonder you get fed up with it. Can understand you not wanting Jaffa to take the Gabapentin but if it calms him down and hes less stressed it might be worth it. Poor Jaffa must hate his claws being cut.
Scaredycat Hope you have a fantastic time- those parts of Scotland are extremely beautiful . Just hope you get some reasonable weather - hoping the same for us too - I expect it will be a mixed bag for both of us. You might not read this for a while as Id imagine reception will be iffy.
EllieAnne What a horrible time for you - sounds like those symptoms were violent enough for you to wonder about possibility of food poisoning. I hope its all settled now. Hope youve managed the vet visit. Why do all these things come together? We too have got car problem again. My car was fine going to book group other day then DH sprayed locks with WD40 and my key wont go in ignition lock. We'll have to sort it after holiday.

Just getting things ready and packed today. Stomach playing up a bit.
Hope everyone is ok.
Wyllow photo of cardis and hats for twins and also did pink ones - the colours she chose. Do hope she likes them.

Sweetpeasue Fri 02-Oct-26 16:25:49

Here they are.

Wyllow3 Fri 02-Oct-26 18:09:21

Sweetpeasue - those are delicate and truly exquisite. Honestly. I know you don't want to knit to order, but those would sell for those wanting to give very special gifts to new babies.

Well your Tum is probably a bit nervous and some butterflies? Whatever it is, I hope you travel safe and it's a good getaway like the last one - especially if it can marginally improve DH's mood. (Just had a silly thought - its a shame he doesnt knit, because there is a lot one can do sitting still...now I know he likes a bit of art - will he take the basics to do some - or pop them in?

Well, it does look hopeful as regards the knitting group. good thin about knitting groups is you don't have to talk, you can pretend to be concentrating on the knitting whilst quietly getting used to the people. You can certainly hold your own skill wise.

EllieAnne you poor soul stuck between a rock and a hard place. I hope of course your sickness gets better but its hard "being with someone but not being with them" - I think all in BD's can sympathise with how that must be x

I have had a more quiet day today. We hung about with each other chatting and went for lunch. I'll tell you about the killer tooth chickpeas another time 😳.

I'm trying to get used to being with another person really who is very different from me when I was just settling into coping alone.

It does make me turn a bit high because it's sort of very right - - but that means me feeling nervous it might go, if people see what I mean. And his health is what one might expect from someone older than me - but I knew that from the outset. It brings out the best in me in some way I cannot yet quite define? Patience? Feeling I dont have to put on a face?

Yes, great stuff charity shops this week but a calm walk around the park both times would have been much better for me.

(Well yes, but I really DID get that winter "best" frock and Pavers for £16........but I must call a halt)

Doodle Fri 02-Oct-26 19:00:53

Ellie Anne so sorry you’ve been unwell. Hope you’re feeling better now. Take it easy and let your DH sort himself out. You need some TlC too. Hope your cat is ok.
HVDY love the sound of your family day. So nice you all get together. Your meal and entertainment sound good apart from the salmon. I don’t eat fish. So pleased your rash has gone. Now you know the cause you can avoid in future.
Wyllow you sound as though you and A get on well with each other. The age difference doesn’t matter if you are companionable together. Obviously ongoing health issues might be a problem but you sound happy together.
Oh Sweetpeasue your knitting is exquisite. How beautiful. Really lovely. I expect mum will be really pleased.
Please do try and join the knitting and craft group. I’m sure it will do you good.
Your Dh is worried and in pain. Not surprising he’s down a lot. Try and think of some positive to boost him. I know it’s hard and I’m not saying it lightly. Hope you both have a nice break.
Scaredycat are you on your trip now. Hope you enjoy it and have a lovely time. I’d be interested knowing how you get on.
Been on walking group this morning and had nice chat after.
Church tomorrow getting it ready for harvest festivel

JamesandJon33 Fri 02-Oct-26 19:55:31

Hi all. Wehave had a short message from DS. Things are slowly improving.

Doodle Fri 02-Oct-26 20:27:46

Good news so pleased for you

Wyllow3 Fri 02-Oct-26 21:00:39

JamesandJon Oh my! What I relief to hear that. I hope so much she continues to heal xx

Doodle - a nice day for a walk today. And may the harvest festival be a good one. Its one of my favourite times in the Church year, "all is safely gathered in" has so much resonance.

HowVeryDareYou2 Fri 02-Oct-26 21:33:55

SweetpeaSue I've had allergic reactions to 6 different BP pills. I'm also allergic to Penicillin, latex and nickel grin. I hope your holiday goes well. The knitted baby things look absolutely beautiful and professional, too. You've clearly got a skill there.

Wyllow3 You and your friend A get on well together and share some interests; that's all that really matters, isn't it? It's still a new relationship, so just enjoy whatever it is, for now. No point in worrying about the "what ifs"

Doodle I like all fish except mackerel. It was lovely mild weather today - just right for your walk.

JamesandJon33 That's good news.

Went out for dinner at a country pub - lots of sheep in the fields next to it. Put a card through the door of my friend, as it's his birthday tomorrow. He's still in hospital even though he's clinically fit to go home. They're trying to get a care package together [hmm, he's been in hospital for 2 weeks for a partial hip replacement. He's not a very strong person, mentally.

Wyllow3 Fri 02-Oct-26 21:49:43

He'll need a care package that supports his emotional needs as well, wont he? Harder to sort out?

So what was the food like in the pub?

More allergies to negotiate - phew, not easy, HVDY

EllieAnne Sat 03-Oct-26 09:44:16

Hvdy I was passing a lot of blood and that scared me.
Much better today and will go out for a bit. A friend is getting baptised in the sea near me so I think being outside should be fine. The cat is fine but should lose weight.
I’ve just had my first cup of tea since Wednesday!
I’m quite hurt with a friend I usually see regularly. She hardly goes out and likes to see me. Obviously I told her I was unwell but every message I got from her was along the line of I don’t want your bug not sorry you are ill or can I help just concern about herself. Of course I would not be visiting till I was better. I m a bit tired of being the one who is always giving out to others (dh included). Though to be fair I don’t think he knew how to react as I’m rarely ill .
Thinking of you all and feeling a bit envious of those who are going on holiday and enjoying new friendships.

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion