Gransnet forums

Health

Over reaction to paracetamol

(55 Posts)
M0nica Thu 30-Jul-26 12:42:56

This morning I slept an hour and a half past my usual waking time and when I woke I felt as if I had been heavily drugged, my mind was not so much foggy, as in deepest smog. This feeling is gradually going, but as I write (12.30) it is still there. While I was sleeping in DH got up, wandered round the bedroom, and, he says, I didn't stir and was deeply asleep. He was beginning to get worried by the time I finally surfaced.

I was so fogged up I forgot about a hair appointment that has been at the front of my mind all week.

Trying to work out what caused how I feel today, I began to remember that this is not the first time this has happened to me over the last, say, six months, but none as bad as today.

I then remembered that last night my hip had been aching and it woke me, so sometime between 1.30-2.30am, I so got up and took a couple of paracetamol.

It was only 2 and I have not taken any, day or night, for at least the last fortnight, so no question of taking too many or too close. My memory then suggested that the previous periods of fogginess could have been associated with taking paracetamol.

I was just wondering whether anyone else here has had this sort of reaction to paracetamol and what they did.

I have a history of over reactions to drugs. I am allergic to penecillin, and anti-histamins have exactly the kind of effect on me I think paracetamol is now causing.

fancythat Thu 30-Jul-26 12:46:35

Only that I take very few pills, so generally only need about 1/4 dosage of what a doctor or a packet suggests.
Could it be that at all?

MayBee70 Thu 30-Jul-26 12:59:46

I can’t remember exactly what I read and it was a long time ago but it was about reactions to drugs and it said that some people react to paracetamol. They used it as an example because it is probably the one drug that no one would think of not being safe for some people.

Maremia Thu 30-Jul-26 13:25:45

Such a pity if you are becoming sensitive to paracetamol.
Check out the info sheet they give you in packets.
It might be interacting with another med you take.
Perhaps a phone call or letter to the Surgery asking about this. Some Surgeries have their own pharmacist, who would be the best person to help you.
Good luck.

David49 Thu 30-Jul-26 16:58:52

Odd occasions I have taken Paracetamol at 2.30am and did oversleep, maybe feeling awful is not connected.

Fallingstar Thu 30-Jul-26 17:10:19

My DH has always been a bit groggy after taking painkillers and because he had a stroke and groggy can mean another one occurring I now give him one para followed any another an hour later. Seems to work for him.

glammagran Thu 30-Jul-26 17:16:01

I often take paracetamol for hip pain and it doesn’t affect me at all. If it is really bad I take neuromol which works better but has ibuprofen in it so avoid if I can. I was prescribed codeine from gp months ago but found it was no better than neuromol so have only taken it once. I’d not heard of reactions to paracetamol before.

tabbie Thu 30-Jul-26 17:20:10

I thought paracetamol was one of the safest, least side effects causing drugs.

Maybe it affected you adversely for some reason. As we age our tolerances can change too.

LyricalGranny Thu 30-Jul-26 17:25:11

My mother used to take paracetamol because she insisted it helped her to sleep. Maybe in some people it does cause drowsiness.

MissAdventure Thu 30-Jul-26 17:30:28

I wonder if it could be because of the heat?
There has been a couple of threads about medication issues in extreme heat, lately.

shysal Thu 30-Jul-26 17:53:13

I have not had a reaction like yours, but I do find it helps me sleep. Like you, when something is hurting during the night I will take 2 tablets.
It will be a shame if this puts you off taking them because they are very useful, and usually safer than other pain killers.

Farmor15 Thu 30-Jul-26 18:07:36

I have occasionally taken paracetamol in the night if I have a vague pain that is interfering with sleep and seems to help, but haven't had the kind of reaction OP had.

Visgir1 Thu 30-Jul-26 18:13:09

Paracetamol is classed as safe, that's why it's sold over the counter.
It could be as others have said a combination of the heat with meds.
I sleep well in this heat which I'm surprised at.

MayBee70 Thu 30-Jul-26 18:20:35

I think Primrose mentioned on another thread that she slept better if she took a couple of paracetamol at bedtime.

Wyllow3 Thu 30-Jul-26 18:32:49

I just asked the question on AI re Paracetamol, being an older woman, and sleepiness, got a sort of half useful answer at the end of below:

Heat exhaustion: High overnight temperatures force an older body to work much harder to cool down, causing deep physical exhaustion.

Dehydration: Reduced thirst sensation in older adults leads to rapid dehydration in the heat, which directly causes drowsiness, confusion, and low blood pressure.

Paracetamol relief The medication itself is not a sedative, but lowering a fever or relieving pain allows the body to relax, which can mimic a sleepy feeling.

Slower metabolism An older woman's liver and kidneys clear medications more slowly, meaning any subtle systemic effects can linger longer in the body.

So this last one may or may not be the case? = drink water early or through night?

Wyllow3 Thu 30-Jul-26 18:33:43

Then waking up to wee......🙄

grumppa Thu 30-Jul-26 18:34:04

The first time I took paracetamol (in my late fifties) I had an asthma attack. The second time (taken in error) I went into anaphylactic shock.

I am much more careful now!

MissAdventure Thu 30-Jul-26 19:02:56

Wyllow3

Then waking up to wee......🙄

I'm thankful I wake up to wee, still. grin

rafichagran Thu 30-Jul-26 19:14:14

MissAdventure

I wonder if it could be because of the heat?
There has been a couple of threads about medication issues in extreme heat, lately.

It could be. I take a particular med that is affected. I feel horribly tired and at times depressed This was also discussed on the TV.
I looked up the above on Google and it said it can but moderately .

MissAdventure Thu 30-Jul-26 19:22:05

Thank you for looking it up smile

AskAlice Thu 30-Jul-26 19:35:47

Could it be that, because of the heat, you were dehydrated so the paracetamol was more concentrated in your bloodstream so had more of a "knock-out" effect than usual?

AskAlice Thu 30-Jul-26 19:37:09

Sorry, I see that MissAdventure has already mentioned the heat...

srn63 Thu 30-Jul-26 19:44:30

Any drug can cause side effects in some people. No drug is completly safe.

MT62 Thu 30-Jul-26 20:13:42

I must say since weaning off co-codamol, I now take 2 paracetamols at night for knee & back pain & I have been sleeping a little deeper for longer. No grogginess day after, like the co-co-codamol was causing.

M0nica Thu 30-Jul-26 20:21:27

This problem is not restricted to the hot weather, I reckon it has happened half a dozen times in the past year. although not as badly as last night, but certainly enough to leave me groggy until lunch time.

My medication hasn't changed in 5 years. I am also very aware of keeping myself well hydrated for other reasons and always have a glass of water by my bed and in this weather if I wake in the night to go to the loo, I will also have a drink of water as well. Also, in hot weather, for every drink I would usually have I also have a drink of water

I have decided if I need pain killers at night again, I will only take one and see how that works. Taking paracetamol during the day has no effect on me.