Gransnet forums

Health

Over reaction to paracetamol

(56 Posts)
M0nica Thu 30-Jul-26 12:42:56

This morning I slept an hour and a half past my usual waking time and when I woke I felt as if I had been heavily drugged, my mind was not so much foggy, as in deepest smog. This feeling is gradually going, but as I write (12.30) it is still there. While I was sleeping in DH got up, wandered round the bedroom, and, he says, I didn't stir and was deeply asleep. He was beginning to get worried by the time I finally surfaced.

I was so fogged up I forgot about a hair appointment that has been at the front of my mind all week.

Trying to work out what caused how I feel today, I began to remember that this is not the first time this has happened to me over the last, say, six months, but none as bad as today.

I then remembered that last night my hip had been aching and it woke me, so sometime between 1.30-2.30am, I so got up and took a couple of paracetamol.

It was only 2 and I have not taken any, day or night, for at least the last fortnight, so no question of taking too many or too close. My memory then suggested that the previous periods of fogginess could have been associated with taking paracetamol.

I was just wondering whether anyone else here has had this sort of reaction to paracetamol and what they did.

I have a history of over reactions to drugs. I am allergic to penecillin, and anti-histamins have exactly the kind of effect on me I think paracetamol is now causing.

BrandyGran Sat 01-Aug-26 12:06:14

I onl

BrandyGran Sat 01-Aug-26 12:08:20

I only take Paracetamol now if my pain is really bad . Even one tablet or capsule makes me constipated for 3 days!
M

Maremia Sat 01-Aug-26 19:11:59

Yes, try to always take food with ibuprofen.

watermeadow Tue 04-Aug-26 15:46:18

When I was young we took aspirin for moderate pain, then Paracetamol arrived. I always found it completely useless. Ibuprofen is good for some pains but upsets my stomach.
Strangely, in later life I now find Paracetamol really useful and I only need 1 tablet for something like a headache.
Our bodies’ reaction to drugs changes as we age.

MayBee70 Tue 04-Aug-26 15:51:49

I tried taking a couple of paracetamol last night to see if it would help me sleep through the night and I did only have to get up once at 4 am so I’m going to try it again tonight.