Gransnet forums

Health

RSI vaccinations

(31 Posts)
nanna8 Sat 05-Sept-26 01:31:32

I recently had one of these, as did my husband. Both of us had quite bad reactions and felt ill and feverish all night on the night afterwards. I don’t usually react to vaccinations and even the dreaded double shingles one didn’t bother me much. I spoke to a friend who also said it was one of the worst reactions he had ever had. Anyone else experience this ? Should they warn people ?

nanna8 Sat 05-Sept-26 01:32:33

Oops - I meant RSV !

Lovetopaint037 Sat 05-Sept-26 01:46:16

We had no reaction at all. The RSV is a very important one. Wonder if it was the batch you had. Sorry you had that experience.

Bigred18 Sat 05-Sept-26 05:34:35

I was fine after RSV, but very sore arm for a few days after Shingles booster.

HelterSkelter1 Sat 05-Sept-26 05:49:46

My late DH even though very frail this early summer time had no reaction and neither did I.
I always wonder if a bad reaction is a good thing as it shows your body is making a good immunity.
While and after having chemo and I had very compromised immunity, I had absolutley no reaction to covid jabs. However since my immune system is more robust now, I do get a day of feeling rubbish after covid and flu jabs.
But not after this years RSV jab apart from a slightly sore arm.

nanna8 Sat 05-Sept-26 06:13:29

Maybe Australia got the rough end of the pineapple, as they say !

David49 Sat 05-Sept-26 08:34:26

No reaction to RSV or any other vaccine, they all seem to work for me because I havnt had a serious virus infection for many years. The colds I have had have been minor and short lived.

nanaK54 Sat 05-Sept-26 08:42:09

We had ours yesterday and so far so good.
Sorry that is not much help to you nanna8

M0nica Sat 05-Sept-26 09:08:12

I will let you know when I finally get one.

As soon as DH and I got the invitation we made an appointment, which was for a fortnght later. 10 days later the surgery cancelled it. We went round and made another appointment. Same process, Appointment arranged for 2 weeks hence, then it was cancelled again.

Yesterday we made our third appointment for the vaccination. It is three weeks hence because in two weeks time we will be away on holiday.

When we finally get this vaccination I will let you know how it affects us, but don't hold your breath.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 05-Sept-26 09:14:58

Had ours last autumn. All fine.

Wheniwasyourage Sat 05-Sept-26 11:31:47

Had ours in the summer. No problems.

butterandjam Sat 05-Sept-26 12:29:56

We've both had RSV vaccinations, no problems at all.

crazyH Sat 05-Sept-26 12:36:54

No reaction at all to RSV

Georgesgran Sat 05-Sept-26 12:39:58

Had mine a couple of months back, no problems at all.

Usedtobeblonde Sat 05-Sept-26 12:55:30

I had mine with no reaction a few months ago , my friend up the road had hers two weeks ago and was very tired and didn’t feel well for days.
One of her friends has declined it as she said she has heard so many adverse reports.
My friend is the only one I have heard who reacted.

Sarnia Sat 05-Sept-26 13:01:22

I had no reaction. I tend to have an off day after a Covid booster.

Greenfinch Sat 05-Sept-26 13:06:49

DH had his two days ago. He was told to report any tingling but had absolutely no reaction. Being younger I had mine two years ago when they didn’t seem to be doing those in their eighties and I had no reaction either.

midgey Sat 05-Sept-26 13:29:29

What is the criteria to be invited? I have heard a lot about it but never been invited.

Greenfinch Sat 05-Sept-26 13:45:17

It is basically for adults over 75 midgey but includes other vulnerable groups.

butterandjam Sat 05-Sept-26 14:13:13

HelterSkelter1

My late DH even though very frail this early summer time had no reaction and neither did I.
I always wonder if a bad reaction is a good thing as it shows your body is making a good immunity.
While and after having chemo and I had very compromised immunity, I had absolutley no reaction to covid jabs. However since my immune system is more robust now, I do get a day of feeling rubbish after covid and flu jabs.
But not after this years RSV jab apart from a slightly sore arm.

DH has his covid and flu jabs on the same day, different arms, no reaction.

If I do that I feel terrible next day. (The only time I've ever had a reaction)

So now I get my seasonal covid and flu jabs separately, a week apart. No reaction at all. Our vaccination centre told me last year, that more and more older people are doing the same for the same reason.

M0nica Sat 05-Sept-26 15:34:33

I cannot understand why anyone declines a vaccination just because of the side effects. The effects of not having it, if you get the illness could be far worse than any side effect.

winterwhite Sat 05-Sept-26 18:57:24

We had ours this week and were warned about severe tingling in hands and feet after 2 to 4 weeks. Rare. Requires hospital visit apparently. Anyone else told this?

Redrobin51 Sat 05-Sept-26 20:18:05

I usually react badly to vaccinations but that one just gave me a sore arm for a few days and I felt very tired and a but out of sorts for about 2 but nothing bad.

SueDonim Sat 05-Sept-26 21:42:35

M0nica

I cannot understand why anyone declines a vaccination just because of the side effects. The effects of not having it, if you get the illness could be far worse than any side effect.

Someone told me this week that she wasn’t going to have the flu jab because her husband had it last year and it gave him permanent shingles! confused

I’d rather have one day of feeling off-colour from a vaccine than the week I spent in bed and the following two weeks of recovery from the flu I had a few years ago.

Taichinan Sat 05-Sept-26 22:12:39

I had the RSV vaccination last week with absolutely no reaction - in fact I had forgotten all about it until I read this thread!