Gransnet forums

Health

Rash on legs on every visit to Italy

(5 Posts)
Grandmama Sat 05-Sept-26 16:51:31

Way back in 2009 I woke up one morning in Italy to find small itchy spots (like pinpricks) on the front of both legs above the ankle. Not insect bites. They cleared up back at home but sometimes flared up briefly in the bath and felt itchy. I've had had a week in Italy in the last 3 years, in early May when it's not hot, and each time a rash appears on my legs (between ankle and knee), most unsightly but otherwise it does not bother me. Within a few days of coming home it clears up. I use only my own toiletries, not the hotel ones. I'm having a week in Italy shortly - any suggestions about the cause or how to avoid it would be very appreciated.

Gwyllt Sat 05-Sept-26 17:30:31

Who know but it it is an allergic reaction anti histamines might just help Don’t get the ones that make you drowsy

NotSpaghetti Thu 01-Oct-26 09:37:58

Just googled this as I've had it too.

Even in cool or moderate weather, taking a trip often means walking or standing significantly more than usual (sightseeing, museum tours, navigating airports). Prolonged standing and walking increase blood pressure in the small blood vessels (capillaries) of the lower legs. This can cause slight inflammation and leakage of tiny red blood cells into the skin, appearing as non-raised red pinpricks.

unitedveincenters.com/blog/what-is-disney-rash/?hl=en-GB#:~:text=The%20most%20common%20symptom%20is%20the%20appearance,also%20typical%2C%20further%20contributing%20to%20the%20unease.

NotSpaghetti Thu 01-Oct-26 09:47:58

I know I do walk quite a lot in Italy as I'm keen to see archeology, museums, galleries and so on.
Coild this be it?
I expect it is for me as we like to go in September which isn't really hot either.

vegansrock Thu 01-Oct-26 09:48:54

Sounds like a heat rash even though it might not be that hot.